Wasted trip to San Antone thanks to the Buckhorn “Saloon”

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Pig Renter
Posts in topic: 3

Wasted trip to San Antone thanks to the Buckhorn “Saloon”

Post by Pig Renter »

I took a four-hour trip to San Antonio this weekend. I had a few things planned and all went well but one of the things I looked forward to the most was visiting the “Buckhorn Museum”, which included the Texas Ranger Museum, which is actually the “Buckhorn SALOON and Museum”. Long story short, we walk up to the Buckhorn, which many of ya’ll I’m sure are familiar with, only to find what I found to be a confusing sign scenario.

At the main entrance on the street corner they had in the window both a 51% sign and a 30.06 sign (no 30.07 sign). First off, I found this to be odd because in my town I rarely ever see a 30.06 sign, and I’ve NEVER seen one in conjunction with the 51%. Furthermore, even though there did appear to be a bar inside in one corner and it does have the word “saloon” in its title, I still did not know if I believed the 51% status legitimacy. This is because other than the “saloon”, most of this business appeared to be gift shops, souvenir shops, and two separate museum areas. Not mention the saloon area also appeared to be used more as a dining area for food as much as it did a bar. (Of course, this did occur at 1:00 in the afternoon on a Sunday and all my observations were from the street looking into the open doors).

And what got me confused even more was when I walked down the street to their side entrance (for those of you who aren’t familiar, this is a very large historic building in the downtown area). The store sign here just said “Buckhorn Gift Shop”. At this location they only had a 30.06 and 30.07 sign, no 51%.

What I’m taking forever to get at is this:

1) I would like to find out if this truly is a 51% establishment. I know there is a way because I’ve seen yall talk about it before. If it is truly a 51% sign than end of story. The address is:

318 E HOUSTON ST
SAN ANTONIO, TX 78205.

2)However if it isn’t, I’d like to know so I might write a letter to the owner regarding his/her 30.06/7 signs as well as his deceptive 51% sign.

If it’s truly a 51% establishment (and it very well may be), the owner’s hands are tied, but if not and the owner posts these signs to an establishment that basically glorifies hunters, Texas Rangers, and firearms history, not to mention all the gun-themed items I witnessed coming out of the gift shop, than I find this very ironic and counter to the very spirit of what this place is suppose to represent.

I make it a habit not to support anti 2A establishments, but I’d really like to go there on my next visit so I’m hoping it’s a 51% business.

Can anyone help or advise?

LucasMcCain
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Wasted trip to San Antone thanks to the Buckhorn “Saloon”

Post by LucasMcCain »

I think this is the site most use to check TABC status. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will let us know.

https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/PublicInquiry/Status.aspx
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

jb2012
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jb2012 »

I have a pretty good feeling it really is a 51% establishment. Pretty interesting place anyway! I think they are also related to lonestar beer in some way? :cheers2:

LucasMcCain
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LucasMcCain »

jb2012 wrote:I have a pretty good feeling it really is a 51% establishment. Pretty interesting place anyway! I think they are also related to lonestar beer in some way? :cheers2:
I think part of their collection used to be (still is?) in the Lone Star Brewery. I remember seeing it when I was a little kid.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Based on my search, there is no license listed to sell or serve alcohol at that address. So, there's that.

I'd turn them in to TABC.

In the mean time... here is my advice: Concealed means concealed... sometimes that means leave it in your truck.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Russell wrote:You may need to check the address. I am having a heck of a time finding anything at the address you provided on TABC's website
Here is what I found with a search of "Street = Houston", "City = San Antonio"

License #: MB229151
Trade Name: HILL COUNTRY BEVERAGES INC.
Owner: HILL COUNTRY BEVERAGES INC.

Location Address:
314-18 E HOUSTON
SAN ANTONIO , TX 782052415

Mailing Address:
1551 BANDERA RD
SAN ANTONIO , TX 782284006
County: Bexar Orig. Issue Date: 4/21/1992
Wine Percent:
Location Phone No.: 210-434-2331

Subordinates: CB,LB,PE
Related To: Gun Sign: RED

ETA:
https://www.texas3006.com/view.php?post ... tion_type=+
Looks like it has been recorded as a 51% location since 2014.

Topic author
Pig Renter

Post by Pig Renter »

Thanks Papa_Tiger.

So "Gun Sign: Red" means 51% sign, correct? Assuming Hill Country Beverages is indeed the owner and they are "Doing business as (DBA)" Buckhorn, as is often the case than I guess that simplifies that.

But out of curiosity, if my image attaches correctly, take a look at the 51% sign in the window to the left of the door. This image is from Google Street View. When I was there this weekend, this is also where the 30.06 sign was located (not present in the Google Street View).

If I would have approached the entrance on the right-hand side instead of the left, and entered on the other side of the corner post (where the guy in the pic is standing on his phone and black shirt), I never would have, or even could have possibly seen any 51% sign, 30.06 sign, or 30.07 sign.

I feel that this might possibly invalidate any 30.06/07 signs. However I'm not sure about the 51% sign and if the presence of such signs technically have any legal bearing on whether a LTC is allowed to be in there or not. Any thoughts?
Attachments
Looking at one corner entrance with split door
Looking at one corner entrance with split door

Topic author
Pig Renter

Post by Pig Renter »

By the way, this is what it looks like today...

Present Day Sign Postage
Present Day Sign Postage

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

It seems to me that were I to plan a trip like that to visit an establishment that included "saloon" in the name, I would search Texas3006.com as the name would cause me to suspect that some signage would be encountered.

Sure enough. The report of 51% signage was posted in November, 2014.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Looks like the same situation as Bass Hall. The BAR VENDOR has the license and being as THAT VENDOR derives more than 51% of total revenue from sales of alcohol by the drink, HIS alcohol license effects the whole address. The Museum itself probably doesn't have a license.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

tornado

Post by tornado »

Another lovely case of a separate, private vendor getting a license for the whole place. At least this is probably private property, not like the City of Austin-owned Long Center for the Performing Arts, which is also 51% posted by a private vendor.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

The horn collection in the Buckhorn Saloon is the same collection that was in the old Lone Star brewery. The brewery closed several years ago and the saloon owner purchased the collection.

Food is pretty good.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

The whole story. Now owned by Twisthorn Holdings LLC.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckhor ... n_Antonio)
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”