Expired license renewal

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
uthornsfan
Posts in topic: 2

Expired license renewal

Post by uthornsfan »

How long after your license expires can you still renew?

I moved and had my address changed but did not realize my CHL had expired. I hate to admit it but it expired June of last year, fortunately or unfortunately I do not carry that often, and when I do I would be covered under MPA.

So if its 12 months past due or more I assume I have to pay a whole new application fee and retake the class?

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Expired license renewal

Post by SewTexas »

pretty sure you have 6 months
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
uthornsfan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by uthornsfan »

UGH, I am going to have to take this up with DPS then. When I moved I am fairly certain I requested a renewal and change of address. That happened in 2014 and this one expired in 2015!

What a pain, I received no notice of expiration is that something anyone should expect.

I suppose I now have to do the whole process over again (app, prints, class everything)

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

uthornsfan wrote:UGH, I am going to have to take this up with DPS then. When I moved I am fairly certain I requested a renewal and change of address. That happened in 2014 and this one expired in 2015!

What a pain, I received no notice of expiration is that something anyone should expect.

I suppose I now have to do the whole process over again (app, prints, class everything)
You can only renew >6 months prior to expiration of your license. When you change address, the original expiration date stays the same.

Did you get a new license with the correct address on it? if not, then you either didn't request a change of address, or they didn't do it for some reason. If it didn't get changed, then I'll bet your renewal notice went to your old address. Did you have a forwarding request on your mail? That also only lasts 6 months I believe.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

infoman

Post by infoman »

You have 1 full year after your license expires to still be able to renew it. 100% accurate.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Re-apply now, get fingerprints and let the process start. You do not have to take the class before applying with the state. You do have to go thru whole process after one year expiration date.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”