Carrying on Campus

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Carrying on Campus

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Been carrying on campus since Aug 1 with no issues what so ever. The biggest issue that I've had is making sure that I don't print inadvertently. Not illegal or grounds for disciplinary action, but I want to keep it as low key as possible.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

TexasTornado wrote:The biggest mention I had was one professor who said weapons weren't allowed in his office. As his class is the one I'm dropping it was a non issue for me personally, but I am eager to see the AG take this power from professors based on some of the comments made during the UT classroom lawsuit.
FWIW, even if you were going to remain enrolled in that class, his words have no force of law. So as long as your gun was concealed, which is required by campus carry anyway, he couldn't do a thing to you.....except maybe refuse to grant you an appointment. But concealed is concealed, right? So carry on if you decide to keep that class.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Rokyudai

Post by Rokyudai »

TexasTornado wrote:
SHogun62 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:Yesterday was my first day of actual classes carrying on campus and it so nice to not have to choose between my education and my second amendment rights for a change.

None of my professors tried to ban weapons from the classroom; although, I do expect one of my class buildings will be posted at a later date. The biggest mention I had was one professor who said weapons weren't allowed in his office. As his class is the one I'm dropping it was a non issue for me personally, but I am eager to see the AG take this power from professors based on some of the comments made during the UT classroom lawsuit.

Overall it was a good experience.
What school are you attending. Has the school established a policy that allows professors to ban handguns in their offices?

Chas.

I don't know of any policies set forth in UTD's recommendation and implementation letters that give Professors the authority to ban their offices. The only off limits areas were resident dorms(minors), Callier Center(patients), sporting events, and the bio engineering and sciences lab buildings(things that don't react well to detonations and projectiles).

*edit* still waiting to hear back from the commission regarding my question about their definition of "printing", and it's resulting disciplinary actions.
Yes, UTD added the ability for professors in single occupancy offices to ban into the policy. Snuck it in last minute. I'll see if I can find the email.

Edit: added photo of email.
Does anyone know: Was it snuck in with the original proposal that they sent to the state for review or did they add it after? I just wonder if the latter is true, does it carry weight or are they in violation of the state review stipulation for 'off limits' spaces?
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 19

Post by TexasTornado »

Rokyudai wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:
SHogun62 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:Yesterday was my first day of actual classes carrying on campus and it so nice to not have to choose between my education and my second amendment rights for a change.

None of my professors tried to ban weapons from the classroom; although, I do expect one of my class buildings will be posted at a later date. The biggest mention I had was one professor who said weapons weren't allowed in his office. As his class is the one I'm dropping it was a non issue for me personally, but I am eager to see the AG take this power from professors based on some of the comments made during the UT classroom lawsuit.

Overall it was a good experience.
What school are you attending. Has the school established a policy that allows professors to ban handguns in their offices?

Chas.

I don't know of any policies set forth in UTD's recommendation and implementation letters that give Professors the authority to ban their offices. The only off limits areas were resident dorms(minors), Callier Center(patients), sporting events, and the bio engineering and sciences lab buildings(things that don't react well to detonations and projectiles).

*edit* still waiting to hear back from the commission regarding my question about their definition of "printing", and it's resulting disciplinary actions.
Yes, UTD added the ability for professors in single occupancy offices to ban into the policy. Snuck it in last minute. I'll see if I can find the email.

Edit: added photo of email.
Does anyone know: Was it snuck in with the original proposal that they sent to the state for review or did they add it after? I just wonder if the latter is true, does it carry weight or are they in violation of the state review stipulation for 'off limits' spaces?
I'm not sure if they submitted to the state individually or as a System. UT in Austin had this stipulation all along. Many of the other schools announced it last minute as you can see by the date on the email 8/1.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Rokyudai

Post by Rokyudai »

I found a UT ppt. There are slides that show that even if they ban their offices for campus carry, they must make alternative plans to meet with the student. That's good they can't weasel out of their duties! It's around the 32nd slide I believe.

https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%3A% ... basics-ppt
NRA Benefactor Member

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RHenriksen »

Rokyudai wrote:I found a UT ppt. There are slides that show that even if they ban their offices for campus carry, they must make alternative plans to meet with the student. That's good they can't weasel out of their duties! It's around the 32nd slide I believe.

Wow, a) nice that the administration bent the rules that way, and b) given how I remember my undergraduate days, I would *hate* to raise a professor's ire in that way. I strongly suspect my grades would suffer as a result.

EDIT: Here we go, page 33:

"Make reasonable arrangements to meet people in another location at a convenient time (you may not ask if the person is carrying)"

Seems to be splitting hairs about not being able to ask you if you're carrying, when the only (likely) reason you'd ask for a student-professor discussion to be held outside their office would be... because you're carrying?
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Topic author
TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

RHenriksen wrote:
Rokyudai wrote:I found a UT ppt. There are slides that show that even if they ban their offices for campus carry, they must make alternative plans to meet with the student. That's good they can't weasel out of their duties! It's around the 32nd slide I believe.

Wow, a) nice that the administration bent the rules that way, and b) given how I remember my undergraduate days, I would *hate* to raise a professor's ire in that way. I strongly suspect my grades would suffer as a result.
Well that and by requesting to meet elsewhere you're basically announcing to them that you're armed. Which kinda defeats the purpose of having a concealed weapon.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

TexasTornado wrote:
RHenriksen wrote:

Well that and by requesting to meet elsewhere you're basically announcing to them that you're armed. Which kinda defeats the purpose of having a concealed weapon.
right; and if the professor is already anti-gun (and irrational) enough to think that making their office a "gun free zone" is a safety measure, they're going to make your life a living hell while you're under their thumb for the duration of the semester (or more...)
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Rokyudai

Post by Rokyudai »

RHenriksen wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:
RHenriksen wrote:

right; and if the professor is already anti-gun (and irrational) enough to think that making their office a "gun free zone" is a safety measure, they're going to make your life a living heck while you're under their thumb for the duration of the semester (or more...)
Not necessarily. If you need to change the meeting venue, just tell them you 'feel more comfortable' meeting outside the office as seeing all his/her degrees displayed on the wall are micro-aggressions and your safe space just happens to be in a authorized carry zone. :smilelol5:
NRA Benefactor Member

Rokyudai

Post by Rokyudai »

Obviously those degrees put undue and unrealistic pressure on me to perform!
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

Rokyudai wrote:
RHenriksen wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:
RHenriksen wrote:

right; and if the professor is already anti-gun (and irrational) enough to think that making their office a "gun free zone" is a safety measure, they're going to make your life a living heck while you're under their thumb for the duration of the semester (or more...)
Not necessarily. If you need to change the meeting venue, just tell them you 'feel more comfortable' meeting outside the office as seeing all his/her degrees displayed on the wall are micro-aggressions and your safe space just happens to be in a authorized carry zone. :smilelol5:
LOL if only I could say that with a straight face.

NRA Lifetime Member

SHogun62

Post by SHogun62 »

I stand corrected, missed that one line in the first paragraph. I've never had a reason to meet with an instructor in their office, so I don't see a need to worry about it on my end. I don't know if it's an ATEC thing or what, but most of my instructors prefer communication via email.

Topic author
TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

SHogun62 wrote:I stand corrected, missed that one line in the first paragraph. I've never had a reason to meet with an instructor in their office, so I don't see a need to worry about it on my end. I don't know if it's an ATEC thing or what, but most of my instructors prefer communication via email.
Partially an ATEC/EMAC thing. I'vedefinitely seen a difference between them and my professorson in less technology oriented fields.

NRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: What school are you attending. Has the school established a policy that allows professors to ban handguns in their offices?

Chas.

Curious as to what you think about the legality of the addition of offices to the policy. Based on what our AG said about delegation of authority I would have thought this wouldn't be up to individual professors anyou more than classrooms are.

NRA Lifetime Member

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

It's my turn. Headed to UTA now for O Chem. Feels weird. Will let you all know what I observe.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”