TABC App for iPhone

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ralewis
Posts in topic: 1

TABC App for iPhone

Post by ralewis »

I've used an app called "SPIRITS" for a few years now that I found to be very helpful in looking up license information. Looks like it was updated to be an actual TABC app (noticed the other day the SPIRITS app was replaced by this one). This one looks like it has a complaint filing ability also.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tabc-mo ... 21055?mt=8

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 3

Re: TABC App for iPhone

Post by RHenriksen »

Ah, and there's an Android version, too! Thanks for the heads up
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Evidently the android version has been available for a while as the first review is from May, 2013. I had looked for it a couple times and couldn't find it before. Perhaps my search-fu was just not strong enough.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasTornado »

"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Just uninstalled the Android app. Installed it 24 hours ago, did a single search. Since then, it's been responsible for 15℅ of the battery draw on my phone.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

RHenriksen wrote:Just uninstalled the Android app. Installed it 24 hours ago, did a single search. Since then, it's been responsible for 15℅ of the battery draw on my phone.
Strange. I've had it on my Samsung Galaxy S4 for several weeks now and not noticed anything different. Perhaps something in the settings?
Jay E Morris,
NRA Recruiter (link)

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

jmorris wrote:
RHenriksen wrote:Just uninstalled the Android app. Installed it 24 hours ago, did a single search. Since then, it's been responsible for 15℅ of the battery draw on my phone.
Strange. I've had it on my Samsung Galaxy S4 for several weeks now and not noticed anything different. Perhaps something in the settings?
Have you looked at the Battery screen in settings?

Ericjd0887

Post by Ericjd0887 »

I see on the app, that it tells you if the bar requires a red gun sign... If the bar/pub I attend sometimes shows no red gun sign is needed but they have one posted anyways... Is the sign they have out front, legal?

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Similar - I ran a single search a couple hours ago and went back to my other apps, meaning TABC is running in the background. Usually not a big deal as background apps are not supposed to use any power unless they're doing intensive stuff like GPS. Taken aay 7% of my battery in a couple hours just sitting in the background. I have an LG V10
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

TrueFlog

Post by TrueFlog »

mr1337 wrote:
Similar - I ran a single search a couple hours ago and went back to my other apps, meaning TABC is running in the background. Usually not a big deal as background apps are not supposed to use any power unless they're doing intensive stuff like GPS. Taken aay 7% of my battery in a couple hours just sitting in the background. I have an LG V10
For now, you'll want to manually close the app when you're not using it. Even when the app is running in the background, it still keeps the location service (i.e. GPS) active. This is probably a bug, although there might be a good reason for it. Instead of uninstalling it, I would encourage you to leave a review on the Play Store expressing your concerns. There are only a few reviews now, so your new review should get high visibility. Hopefully, the developer will respond and fix the issue.

On a side note, the app is now called "TABC: Mobile" instead of "Spirits".

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Thanks for the update. I just used the app to file a complaint. A very user friendly app.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Ericjd0887 wrote:I see on the app, that it tells you if the bar requires a red gun sign... If the bar/pub I attend sometimes shows no red gun sign is needed but they have one posted anyways... Is the sign they have out front, legal?
If the location is displaying the incorrect sign, you can report this to TABC and they will verify and correct.
NRA Life Member

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

RHenriksen wrote:
jmorris wrote:
Have you looked at the Battery screen in settings?
I remember now. Since I only planned on using it to report problems and wasn't interested in it notifying me when I was near a 51% location I did a force stop on it so that it's not running in the background. I think it was showing around 5% when I did that.

Texas3006 seems to be a bit better in the battery usage department. I'll probably do a review on the TABC app and note the battery usage seems a bit high.
Jay E Morris,
NRA Recruiter (link)

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

had the original Texas Spirit app on phone and when updating last night saw it changed to TABC.

opened it and was checking it out and found at least five businesses that no longer exist, a few of them had been closed or changed names for at least 10 years, andwhen you needed that card to order drinks.

as for battery life.... never noticed if it drained mine or not

RetNavy
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

I just installed the iOS version and filed a complaint. Thanks for the link.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”