Ooh You Almost Had It....

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Ooh You Almost Had It....

Post by ScottDLS »

flechero wrote:You aren't giving up your rights just because you choose not to exercise EVERY ONE OF THEM daily. I also have the right to respect the wishes of someone who doesn't want my gun on their property, even if I can't be prosecuted for the wording of their sign.

I have the legal "right" to do a lot of things that are wrong, distasteful, or otherwise inappropriate for any number of reasons... doesn't mean it's always a good idea.

There are also a lot of us that don't have the time or the resources to prove to some idiot business owner that his sign, although it conveyed his thoughts perfectly, wasn't technically legal.

Not to mention, lots of potential jurors that would see that sign as close enough to count. just sayin'
What is inappropriate, ill mannered, or wrong about carrying concealed where it is legal to do so? If a defective sign is posted on a business open to the public, how am I to know what the owners' wishes are and why should I care? I "own" over 5000 companies along with millions of other shareholders. I have no idea what the other owners want, but I want everyone to carry in all of the companies I "own" as long as it is legal.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

I was addressing the broader topic of "just because you can, doesn't always mean you should.'' (when I said wrong distasteful etc) not CC specific.

Your concern for a business owner's wishes are just that- yours. (and being a minority stockholder buys you... probably nothing at all.) I'd opt to take my business elsewhere, more often that not in that case.

I've no need or desire to take the ride, regardless of whether or not I can beat it later. YMMV. :tiphat:

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

flechero wrote:I was addressing the broader topic of "just because you can, doesn't always mean you should.'' (when I said wrong distasteful etc) not CC specific.

Your concern for a business owner's wishes are just that- yours. (and being a minority stockholder buys you... probably nothing at all.) I'd opt to take my business elsewhere, more often that not in that case.

I've no need or desire to take the ride, regardless of whether or not I can beat it later. YMMV. :tiphat:
I agree with your basic point...it's kind of like my view on open carry at Starbucks. They don't post a 30.07, but they've said publicly that the don't want you to, and would probably kick you out if you did. I own part of them too, and I carry concealed there, even though I know they probably don't want that either.

What I still don't get is why people fear "taking the ride" for a class C misdemeanor that you aren't even committing. :???: It would be like being afraid to drive because you don't want to get arrested for going 40 in a 45 zone. :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

I think we pretty much agree... my earlier post suffered from a lack of clarity.

Fear of "the ride", for me anyway, is a lack of money, time and potentially (small as it may be) losing my LTC. He's a poor example, but CJ Grisham was carrying legally and they ended up adding charges later to be sure something stuck... and he lost his chl, over an OC case. (before the change) Bell county is a strange place at times... but it's home.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

flechero wrote:I think we pretty much agree... my earlier post suffered from a lack of clarity.

Fear of "the ride", for me anyway, is a lack of money, time and potentially (small as it may be) losing my LTC. He's a poor example, but CJ Grisham was carrying legally and they ended up adding charges later to be sure something stuck... and he lost his chl, over an OC case. (before the change) Bell county is a strange place at times... but it's home.
True but mostly because he made a donkey out of himself and they (wrongly in my opinion) made it into interfering with a public official. I think he's still appealing.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”