Can you get a second or duplicate CHL?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
MJR
Posts in topic: 2

Can you get a second or duplicate CHL?

Post by MJR »

Would like a duplicate CHL to keep in my truck console with my Glock that lives there.
Running to the store or gym, etc short trips in a small town my wallet is mostly at home.
Can it be done and how?

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Can you get a second or duplicate CHL?

Post by Keith B »

Not capable of being done legally. If you request a replacement license, the other one becomes invalid. How do you handle your driver license? If you carry into the store, how will you take it with you? If just for the vehicle, you don't need it as you can carry concealed without a license as long as the firearm doesn't leave the vehicle.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
MJR

Post by MJR »

Keith thank you very much. You are so right about not needed in truck. Thanks

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Yes...just as a side note, I believe it is a Class B misdemeanor to have more than one valid Texas Driver's License...That's why when you renew or change address in person at the DMV office, they either cut the old one or take it and give you temporary paper one.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

ScottDLS wrote:Yes...just as a side note, I believe it is a Class B misdemeanor to have more than one valid Texas Driver's License...That's why when you renew or change address in person at the DMV office, they either cut the old one or take it and give you temporary paper one.
I just renewed my DL this month. I did it in person just so I could get the "Veteran" designation on it. The lady did not cut my old license. When I asked, she told me they don't do that any more.

Somewhat humorous side note: She could not accept my retired military ID for the "Veteran" designation. What she did accept was my CHL with the "Veteran" designation. That's right, she accepted the CHL which got the designation by me scanning my retired military ID and emailing it to DPS. :roll:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

This topic is covered here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=54598
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Pawpaw wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:Yes...just as a side note, I believe it is a Class B misdemeanor to have more than one valid Texas Driver's License...That's why when you renew or change address in person at the DMV office, they either cut the old one or take it and give you temporary paper one.
I just renewed my DL this month. I did it in person just so I could get the "Veteran" designation on it. The lady did not cut my old license. When I asked, she told me they don't do that any more.

Somewhat humorous side note: She could not accept my retired military ID for the "Veteran" designation. What she did accept was my CHL with the "Veteran" designation. That's right, she accepted the CHL which got the designation by me scanning my retired military ID and emailing it to DPS. :roll:
That's interesting. I got a new one last year 'cause I lost my old one and while I was at it I had the Veteran designator put on it (which required my DD-214), I didn't know they would take the LTC with veteran designation, which I actually had at the time. I also received my lost license back in the mail about 6 months later (dropped it at DFW)...I kept the old one...but was secretly concerned that I was committing a crime. Another thing they told me is as of 9/1/15 you can't get a Texas ID Card AND a Texas DL. It's one or the other...but I don't need either on to vote, so I'm OK... "rlol"
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

ScottDLS wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:

That's interesting. I got a new one last year 'cause I lost my old one and while I was at it I had the Veteran designator put on it (which required my DD-214), I didn't know they would take the LTC with veteran designation, which I actually had at the time. I also received my lost license back in the mail about 6 months later (dropped it at DFW)...I kept the old one...but was secretly concerned that I was committing a crime. Another thing they told me is as of 9/1/15 you can't get a Texas ID Card AND a Texas DL. It's one or the other...but I don't need either on to vote, so I'm OK... "rlol"
From the DPS driver license website under "Veteran Services":
Verification of Veteran and Discharge Status
To request the Veteran designator, outside of your DL or ID renewal period, a Veteran must visit a driver license office and present one of the following:

DD-214
DD-215
NGB-22
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs disability letter
A Texas concealed handgun license (CHL) or license to carry (LTC) with a veteran designator

The document presented, may be a copy or an original and must show the veteran received an honorable discharge or a general discharge (under honorable conditions). To request the Veteran designator within your renewal period, the request may be made by mail or by visiting a driver license office.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Pawpaw wrote:

Your LTC shows the DPS that they have a copy of your DD214 on file.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

What you could do is send off for another state's license that is good in Texas too. Arizona just requires a copy of your TX LTC, a fingerprint card, and an application... really easy to get.

I keep another state's license in my truck along with a G17 and a holster so that if something happens and my CHL and pistol get taken, but I am not arrested, as soon as I get back to the truck, I have a pistol and a license again.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

TexasTornado wrote:This topic is covered here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=54598
Yep.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”