Application time limit

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Seabear
Posts in topic: 1

Application time limit

Post by Seabear »

I was under the impression if someone applied for an LTC they had 60 days to take their class and submit their documents. I just heard someone was told 10 days. Anybody know the answer?

Carry safe and carry when and where you can. I'm just sayin'.

casp625

Re: Application time limit

Post by casp625 »

1 year.

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

You have one year from the time you begin the app process to get all your stuff (including supporting docs, finger prints, etc) into DPS. So they are just sitting around with a 1 year stop watch ticking waiting to get you stuff.

Once that get all of the required stuff then now they are under the gun to complete the process and issue the license. They have 60 days.

So as long as you produce a completed CHL-100 delivered to DPS within the year.

Add to the mix that the CHL-100 is good for 24 months.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

They have 60 days to get your license to you if you have submitted all your documentation successfully.
However, there is no punishment for exceeding that limit, so they can pretty much do whatever they want, as we have seen so many gov't agencies do before.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

I tested their prowess and commitment pretty good. I applied while still living in Coronado in anticipation of moving. It turns out I couldn't get back to Texas to take the course before the move, so when I did move, I took the course and sent it, with fingerprints, etc. using my new address.

Well, this just screwed up everything to a fare thee well. Thanks to their internet communications and good telephone access, we got it straightened out, and they credited me with my original application fee. The card arrived shortly thereafter.

Compared to what I endured getting my CA permit, it was a model of efficiency, economy and devotion to getting the job right. It wasn't completely smooth, thanks to my novel and imaginative maneuvers, but they stuck with it.

I wish they had changed the rules a few months earlier for a shorter course, but hey, good enough.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”