Carry with belt holster, but concealed under shirt?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
sandy
Posts in topic: 1

Carry with belt holster, but concealed under shirt?

Post by sandy »

Can you carry using a belt holster under a shirt or jacket and it happens to print? Is this legal or not. I cannot find any rules. Imagine, open carry, but a shirt tail is covering it. Only way I know how to explain. Any and all discussions appreciated. Thanks
Sandy

Pawpaw

Re: Carry with belt holster, but concealed under shirt?

Post by Pawpaw »

It's perfectly legal.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

What you describe is how I carry nearly every day.

You're right, you can't find anything about 'printing' in the law - because there is nothing about it. Even before open carry was legal, what you described was legal.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

What others have stated, perfectly legal.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Just had dinner at restaurant and then walked Wal Mart for an hour carrying this way
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Handguns are more accepted in society than they used to be by many, and I think even the hand-wringers have had to accept they are not unlawful. I am 100% in support of our new open carry rights as a philosophical point Tactically, for general purposes, I conceal.

But maybe not as carefully as I did when I first got my card. I wanted perfect concealment, which isn't that hard.

Now, not quite so much. If I'm plausibly concealed at 8-10 feet I'm comfortable.

Frankly, in a practical sense, that's still perfect concealment. Nobody notices, nobody cares, I'm just another hail fellow well met.

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

I think college campuses are still iffy on printing or barely concealed carry as I like to call what the OP is referring to.

Here is my school's excerpt on the topic:
Concealment: The licensed carrier of a handgun must ensure that a casual observer be unable to notice or detect that a handgun is being carried. Open carry is not allowed on university campuses in Texas.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

thetexan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by thetexan »

First off...Forget that "printing" has anything to do with anything.

Second...print your heart's content! It's fun and great exercise.

Third...the concept of printing is leftover from the days of an ill written definition of concealment and has no place in modern day concealed or open carry.

Assuming you are licensed, you may carry your handgun concealed...(which means it is not DISPLAYED in whole or in part visible to a person in a public place)....anywhere on your body using any method of attachment to your body...AND!!!!!!....(if you'd like) clearly printed or discernible to someone AS LONG AS IT IS NOT DISPLAYED. In fact, why don't you wear the tightest tee shirt you can find so someone can tell it is a GLOCK GEN 4 while you are at it!

Again, it just doesn't matter anymore about printing. Only this matters as far as the law is concerned...if it is displayed it MUST be in a belt or shoulder holster. If it is not in a belt or shoulder holster it MUST NOT be visibly displayed in whole or in part. The ONLY test is whether it is visibly displayed to a person in a public place or not...NOT whether it is discernible (printed) or not.

This makes carrying concealed much easier.

That's the rules. HOWEVER!!!!!!!....there is a PRACTICAL aspect to the idea of printing. If your intent is to actually be concealed beyond anyone's ability to discern a weapon then you might consider how your gun may be printing. I OC and CC and I really don't care much when CCing if someone can tell if I have a gun. If it prints then it prints. But if you want absolute stealth, then you can take steps to avoid printing.

But don't do it on account of the state of Texas because Texas doesn't care.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

sandy wrote:Can you carry using a belt holster under a shirt or jacket and it happens to print? Is this legal or not. I cannot find any rules. Imagine, open carry, but a shirt tail is covering it. Only way I know how to explain. Any and all discussions appreciated. Thanks
Sandy
I carry this way every day.
https://www.armourbelts.com/, http://www.dmbullardleather.com/holster
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

TexasTornado wrote:I think college campuses are still iffy on printing or barely concealed carry as I like to call what the OP is referring to.

Here is my school's excerpt on the topic:
Concealment: The licensed carrier of a handgun must ensure that a casual observer be unable to notice or detect that a handgun is being carried. Open carry is not allowed on university campuses in Texas.
Penal Code Sec 46.035 (a-1)
(a-1) Notwithstanding Subsection (a), a license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a partially or wholly visible handgun, regardless of whether the handgun is holstered, on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally displays the handgun in plain view of another person:
(1) on the premises of an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education; or
(2) on any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area of an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education.
I don't think printing is a crime on campus, however your institution could have their own disciplinary action, in my opinion, with how the law is currently written. On my campus the police have made a very clear distinction on what they classify as intent to let people know you're armed, and simply bending over and accidentally flashing or printing - to them that is not considered a violation (as it shouldn't be, in my opinion).

Granted, I'm not a lawyer, and I'm not going to push the limits at work. There's people who say you can open carry on a city street through campus, and even the city sidewalk through campus, but I'm not going to test that theory!

And to OP, I carry this way almost every day - tuckable holster with my shirt tucked over it or a shirt just laying over it.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

thetexan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by thetexan »

The institution operates under the statutes of open and concealed carry like everyone else. You can not open carry on campus as specified by statute. The school does not have the authority to define what open carry is o. It's campus apart from what is stipulated in law.

Open carry is precisely defined and any concept of printing is not in that definition and can not be arbitrarily added by the institution.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”