TCU / Amon G Carter Stadium - Posted?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

casp625
Posts in topic: 3

Re: TCU / Amon G Carter Stadium - Posted?

Post by casp625 »

chasfm11 wrote:
oohrah wrote:Private universities, unlike public, can completely opt out. But to do so, they must provide effective notice via PC 30.06.

Baylor has announced opting out, so if you were discovered by their metal detector, you would be asked to leave, which would be effective notice.
I understand TPC 30.06 and effective notice but here is a another live example of a potential situation.

TCU hosts Tuba Christmas on December 23rd every year. The actual event is held outside. Parking is off the university campus. Unless there are 30.06 signs along the sidewalk as I walk in front of the music building or there is a general announcement made as part of the event, I have no way of knowing what their decision is regarding campus carry. As I understand it, I'm under no obligation to research it in advance.

I'm not sure of the ownership of the church near SMU. It looks like it falls within the same area as the rest of the campus. It is private property or part of the campus property? Again, I'm assuming that I have no obligation to figure that out. No signs, no announcements and I carry out.
30.06 is the same on campus as well as any other business...either you receive 30.06 notice or you don't... See my previous post right above yours.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I was responding to Pig Renter's question.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

Took the rest of the weekend off the computer, so, sorry for being slow to post this photo.

Summary:
1. Colleges in TX now need to post 30.06 if they want to prohibit carry.
2. Private colleges can still prohibit the entire campus, if they choose.
3. Public colleges can only prohibit specific areas that they, in good faith, determine are "special" enough to need carry prohibited. I'd prefer to leave discussion of this item to a separate thread if folks want to discuss further.
4. TCU is a private university that has chosen to prohibit carry everywhere on their property.

Specifically regarding Football games...
1. The parking lots are all very clearly posted and posted properly. You can't enter any parking lot and avoid seeing compliant 3006 signs unless you were wearing a blindfold.
1a. I suppose a person could find a way to park off campus and claim they didn't walk past a 3006 sign as they walked from their car onto campus property. I'd say that was a very bad idea, since TCU's intent is quite clear to prohibit carry on campus.
2. Amon G Carter stadium is also posted 3006, but some entrance gates do not have signs. Given how clearly the parking lost are posted, I don't see that not having every stadium gate posted is any kind of loophole.

Carry at TCU is a no-go.
AGC 3006b.jpg
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

jkurtz

Post by jkurtz »

RoyGBiv wrote:Took the rest of the weekend off the computer, so, sorry for being slow to post this photo.

Summary:
1. Colleges in TX now need to post 30.06 if they want to prohibit carry.
2. Private colleges can still prohibit the entire campus, if they choose.
3. Public colleges can only prohibit specific areas that they, in good faith, determine are "special" enough to need carry prohibited. I'd prefer to leave discussion of this item to a separate thread if folks want to discuss further.
4. TCU is a private university that has chosen to prohibit carry everywhere on their property.

Specifically regarding Football games...
1. The parking lots are all very clearly posted and posted properly. You can't enter any parking lot and avoid seeing compliant 3006 signs unless you were wearing a blindfold.
1a. I suppose a person could find a way to park off campus and claim they didn't walk past a 3006 sign as they walked from their car onto campus property. I'd say that was a very bad idea, since TCU's intent is quite clear to prohibit carry on campus.
2. Amon G Carter stadium is also posted 3006, but some entrance gates do not have signs. Given how clearly the parking lost are posted, I don't see that not having every stadium gate posted is any kind of loophole.

Carry at TCU is a no-go.
AGC 3006b.jpg
I am not suggesting that anyone try skirting the law, but it is just not true that 30.06 postings are as obvious as you state. The lot I park in has no postings. The building my classes are in is not posted. I have not seen any signs on the short walk I have to take from my car to my classes. If the school went through the trouble of posting the stadium then I am sure they posted signs throughout campus too, but it certainly wasn't done in such a way that they are seen by anyone entering the campus.

Topic author
RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

^^^^^^
Hmmmm

I wonder if they add more parking lot signs on game days?
Some signs were mounted on sandwich boards, other on steel poles set in the ground.

Game day was definitely a no-carry place.

:waiting:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

jkurtz

Post by jkurtz »

RoyGBiv wrote:^^^^^^
Hmmmm

I wonder if they add more parking lot signs on game days?
Some signs were mounted on sandwich boards, other on steel poles set in the ground.

Game day was definitely a no-carry place.

:waiting:
That is a possibility considering the amount of people in attendance that are not associated with the school.

Scott Farkus
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Scott Farkus »

Check the back of your ticket stub. That's where UT is putting their 30.06 notice.

fwiw, I haven't seen any actual signs at DKR.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”