TCU / Amon G Carter Stadium - Posted?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

TCU / Amon G Carter Stadium - Posted?

Post by RoyGBiv »

Have tickets to the TCU/SDSU game tonight.
I haven't been on campus since campus carry went into effect.

Anyone know whether the stadium is posted?
How about the rest of the campus?

Didn't find anything searching here or on texas3006.com

Thanks!
:tiphat:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: TCU / Amon G Carter Stadium - Posted?

Post by Keith B »

Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Bruin98
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bruin98 »

Regardless of whether or not it is posted--you cant carry inside the stadium. The statute prohibits carrying of a gun from locations where high school, college or professional sporting events are taking place.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Bruin98 wrote:Regardless of whether or not it is posted--you cant carry inside the stadium. The statute prohibits carrying of a gun from locations where high school, college or professional sporting events are taking place.
Incorrect. Once campus carry passed it requires that they post the stadium.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

casp625
Posts in topic: 3

Post by casp625 »

Bruin98 wrote:Regardless of whether or not it is posted--you cant carry inside the stadium. The statute prohibits carrying of a gun from locations where high school, college or professional sporting events are taking place.
Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed or carried in a shoulder or belt holster, on or about the license holder's person:
(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;
(l) Subsection (b)(2) does not apply on the premises where a collegiate sporting event is taking place if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

jkurtz

Post by jkurtz »

I go to TCU and haven't seen a single building posted 30.06.

Topic author
RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

Parking lots all posted multiple times.
30.06 on many entrance gates, but not all.

Will post a photo of the gate sign and update Texas3006.com tomorrow.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

I was there earlier and saw the signs as well. Disappointing, both the signs and the performance of the team. Though I'm told that SDSU is one of the better teams in their division.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

On a related note - Baylor did not post McLane Stadium at all - they installed metal detectors at all entrances.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Pig Renter

Post by Pig Renter »

oohrah wrote:On a related note - Baylor did not post McLane Stadium at all - they installed metal detectors at all entrances.
Interesting. So how does that work? If you are legally carrying do you just notify security and bypass detectors? Or would they give you verbal notice at that time that concealed carry is not permitted?

KLB

Post by KLB »

No doubt 46.035 moots my point, but is not TCU a private institution and therefore entitled to ban weapons if they wish?

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

KLB wrote:No doubt 46.035 moots my point, but is not TCU a private institution and therefore entitled to ban weapons if they wish?
Yes. But it is my understanding that they have to do it with signs. UT cannot put up signs except for the "special" situations. They must put up the signs in those locations. That is the difference between private and public.

If I'm wrong, please correct me. I'd like to understand this as well as is possible with the current legislation.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

casp625

Post by casp625 »

chasfm11 wrote:
KLB wrote:No doubt 46.035 moots my point, but is not TCU a private institution and therefore entitled to ban weapons if they wish?
Yes. But it is my understanding that they have to do it with signs. UT cannot put up signs except for the "special" situations. They must put up the signs in those locations. That is the difference between private and public.

If I'm wrong, please correct me. I'd like to understand this as well as is possible with the current legislation.
Here ya go:
GC §411.2031. CARRYING OF HANDGUNS BY LICENSE HOLDERS ON CERTAIN CAMPUSES
(e) A private or independent institution of higher education in this state, after consulting with students, staff, and faculty of the institution, may establish rules, regulations, or other provisions prohibiting license holders from carrying handguns on the campus of the institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by the institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle owned by the institution

Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER
(a-2) Notwithstanding Subsection (a) or Section 46.03(a), a license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on the campus of a private or independent institution of higher education in this state that has established rules, regulations, or other provisions prohibiting license holders from carrying handguns pursuant to Section 411.2031(e), Government Code, or on the grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by such an institution is being conducted, or in a passenger transportation vehicle of such an institution, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, provided the institution gives effective notice under Section 30.06

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Private universities, unlike public, can completely opt out. But to do so, they must provide effective notice via PC 30.06.

Baylor has announced opting out, so if you were discovered by their metal detector, you would be asked to leave, which would be effective notice.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

oohrah wrote:Private universities, unlike public, can completely opt out. But to do so, they must provide effective notice via PC 30.06.

Baylor has announced opting out, so if you were discovered by their metal detector, you would be asked to leave, which would be effective notice.
I understand TPC 30.06 and effective notice but here is a another live example of a potential situation.

TCU hosts Tuba Christmas on December 23rd every year. The actual event is held outside. Parking is off the university campus. Unless there are 30.06 signs along the sidewalk as I walk in front of the music building or there is a general announcement made as part of the event, I have no way of knowing what their decision is regarding campus carry. As I understand it, I'm under no obligation to research it in advance.

I'm not sure of the ownership of the church near SMU. It looks like it falls within the same area as the rest of the campus. It is private property or part of the campus property? Again, I'm assuming that I have no obligation to figure that out. No signs, no announcements and I carry out.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”