Storing Loaded Pistol in Car?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tbryanh
Posts in topic: 5

Storing Loaded Pistol in Car?

Post by tbryanh »

When I am at work, I store my pistol in a lockbox inside my car. Can I leave the pistol loaded while its stored in the lockbox?

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Storing Loaded Pistol in Car?

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

tbryanh wrote:When I am at work, I store my pistol in a lockbox inside my car. Can I leave the pistol loaded while its stored in the lockbox?
Yes.

This assumes that you can legally possess a gun in the first place. The law does not distinguish between loaded and unloaded guns for this purpose.

casp625

Post by casp625 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
tbryanh wrote:When I am at work, I store my pistol in a lockbox inside my car. Can I leave the pistol loaded while its stored in the lockbox?
Yes.

This assumes that you can legally possess a gun in the first place. The law does not distinguish between loaded and unloaded guns for this purpose.
And as long as it's not one of the exceptions to the parking lot bill, like a school district.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

casp625 wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Yes.

And as long as it's not one of the exceptions to the parking lot bill, like a school district.
It's "legal" to leave in your car on a school campus, but if you work there it could be against the rules and get you fired.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

ScottDLS wrote:
casp625 wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Yes.

It's "legal" to leave in your car on a school campus, but if you work there it could be against the rules and get you fired.
If you have an LTC. If you do not, and are carrying in your vehicle under the MPA, you would be violating the GFSZA.

Had to throw that out there for Scott!
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Agoraphobic Penguin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Agoraphobic Penguin »

Just be mindful of the fact that your car can be broken into. Whenever I have to disarm myself, I leave the gun in a lockbox with cable attached to my car seat frame and hidde from view. I also take the mags and clear the chambers so if stolen it won't be able to be fired immediately. I also think that while showing support for the NRA and 2nd ammendment rights with stickers is great, it is also a sign for criminals to break into your car looking for guns. Please help keep guns out of criminal hands, and don't forget to record te serial numbers of your guns in case of theft.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

locke_n_load wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
casp625 wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Yes.

If you have an LTC. If you do not, and are carrying in your vehicle under the MPA, you would be violating the GFSZA.

Had to throw that out there for Scott!

:iagree: "rlol" "rlol" "rlol"
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

Yes, with one in the chamber.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

allisji
Posts in topic: 2

Post by allisji »

Agoraphobic Penguin wrote:Just be mindful of the fact that your car can be broken into. Whenever I have to disarm myself, I leave the gun in a lockbox with cable attached to my car seat frame and hidde from view. I also take the mags and clear the chambers so if stolen it won't be able to be fired immediately. I also think that while showing support for the NRA and 2nd ammendment rights with stickers is great, it is also a sign for criminals to break into your car looking for guns. Please help keep guns out of criminal hands, and don't forget to record te serial numbers of your guns in case of theft.

Just curious, when you leave your gun in the car in this condition, do you take the magazines and ammo with you? Or do you hide/stash it in a different location in the car? What if you are going into a place where guns are forbidden or with metal detectors?

I also leave my gun in a locked box, cabled to the underside of the seat, and hidden from view. But mine remains loaded and loaded magazines inserted. I do tend to agree about the NRA/Pro-2A stickers. I have considered adding an NRA sticker to my car, but for this reason I likely never will.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Topic author
tbryanh

Post by tbryanh »

Agoraphobic Penguin wrote:Whenever I have to disarm myself, I leave the gun in a lockbox with cable attached to my car seat frame and hidde from view. I also take the mags and clear the chambers so if stolen it won't be able to be fired immediately.
I understand the value of unloading when disarming, but weighed against the increased possibility of an accidental discharge, leaving the gun loaded wins out for me.

I am also one of those who is against press checking to see if your weapon is loaded.

I believe the safest way to handle a semi auto pistol is to load it and leave it alone.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Agoraphobic Penguin wrote: I also think that while showing support for the NRA and 2nd amendment rights with stickers is great, it is also a sign for criminals to break into your car looking for guns.
I've always put my NRA stickers on cars that belong to people I know are Anti-2a. I thought that's what they're for, isn't it? ;-)

I'm only kidding, I'm not into vandalising others property... but that's what I've always wanted to do with them!

Agoraphobic Penguin

allisji wrote:
Agoraphobic Penguin wrote:Just be mindful of the fact that your car can be broken into. Whenever I have to disarm myself, I leave the gun in a lockbox with cable attached to my car seat frame and hidde from view. I also take the mags and clear the chambers so if stolen it won't be able to be fired immediately. I also think that while showing support for the NRA and 2nd ammendment rights with stickers is great, it is also a sign for criminals to break into your car looking for guns. Please help keep guns out of criminal hands, and don't forget to record te serial numbers of your guns in case of theft.

Just curious, when you leave your gun in the car in this condition, do you take the magazines and ammo with you? Or do you hide/stash it in a different location in the car? What if you are going into a place where guns are forbidden or with metal detectors?

I also leave my gun in a locked box, cabled to the underside of the seat, and hidden from view. But mine remains loaded and loaded magazines inserted. I do tend to agree about the NRA/Pro-2A stickers. I have considered adding an NRA sticker to my car, but for this reason I likely never will.
I do take the ammo with me into the places where I am not allowedto carry, I have only encountered metal detectors once at the Travis County District Clerk Office/courthouse and ended up leaving my mags in my glovebox locked. I agree that your ccw should not be handled regularly but I still follow the safety rules when I unload my guns. I aim down at my brake pedal and keep my finger off the trigger. Both the guns I carry now do not have a magazine disconnect safety, if they did I would leave a round chambered and keep my weapons holstered, trigger guards covered ad just remove mags. I understand not wanting a ND, cause I really don't want to have one and I realize I'm human and humans make mistakes but I am constantly drilling the safety rules into my head. I just would feel horrible to find that a criminal used my gun on another person. I also drive a stick to further deter criminals, ad because I like driving stick, a lot.

Agoraphobic Penguin

tbryanh wrote:
Agoraphobic Penguin wrote:Whenever I have to disarm myself, I leave the gun in a lockbox with cable attached to my car seat frame and hidde from view. I also take the mags and clear the chambers so if stolen it won't be able to be fired immediately.
I understand the value of unloading when disarming, but weighed against the increased possibility of an accidental discharge, leaving the gun loaded wins out for me.

I am also one of those who is against press checking to see if your weapon is loaded.

I believe the safest way to handle a semi auto pistol is to load it and leave it alone.

I completely understand because I have seen some unsafe and irresponsible handling of firearms, followed by me screaming at them while crying like a little girl. I typically leave the area if I think tey are a lost cause or attempt to reinforce the safety rules. I usually press check my little mouse gun every morning before I stik it in my pocket, where it now stays until I go to bed at night (just got my LTC!!), I guess its just habit now. I agree that people should stop fiddling with their guns, that and "unloaded" guns are probably the leading causes of NDs.

allisji
Posts in topic: 2

Post by allisji »

Agoraphobic Penguin wrote:
allisji wrote:

I do take the ammo with me into the places where I am not allowedto carry, I have only encountered metal detectors once at the Travis County District Clerk Office/courthouse and ended up leaving my mags in my glovebox locked. I agree that your ccw should not be handled regularly but I still follow the safety rules when I unload my guns. I aim down at my brake pedal and keep my finger off the trigger. Both the guns I carry now do not have a magazine disconnect safety, if they did I would leave a round chambered and keep my weapons holstered, trigger guards covered ad just remove mags. I understand not wanting a ND, cause I really don't want to have one and I realize I'm human and humans make mistakes but I am constantly drilling the safety rules into my head. I just would feel horrible to find that a criminal used my gun on another person. I also drive a stick to further deter criminals, ad because I like driving stick, a lot.
Good answer. I've never had a car broken into, but I do worry about it sometimes when I park my car in Houston. My lock box is not impenetrable. A smash and grab robber with bolt cutters could easily cut the cable and be off with my gun. It would take a bit more effort for him to break the lock or pry open the box enough to get the gun out. Usually I don't leave my gun in car unless I'm at work, as I don't see many 30.06 postings where I normally do business. Car break-ins at my work parking lot are very rare. I work at a chemical plant with 24hr security and ample and fairly conspicuous security cameras and lighting on the parking lot.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

JerryK

Post by JerryK »

I also think that while showing support for the NRA and 2nd ammendment rights with stickers is great, it is also a sign for criminals to break into your car looking for guns.
This is a very good theory but I have a NRA sticker on my vehicle and Knock on wood it has never been broken into. But If I go by the theory my vehicle should be broken into on a daily basis.

There is more than one way to look at a situation! The way I look at it is with this sticker the thief is going to think twice about breaking into my vehicle because he has no idea when I walk up behind him, and I am going to be carrying and take care of the situation right then and there.

Ain't scared, have sticker!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”