House Party: CC OK?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

KLB
Posts in topic: 4

Re: House Party: CC OK?

Post by KLB »

tbryanh wrote:Does the 51% rule apply at a house party?
House parties are not typically businesses generating revenue.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

KLB wrote:My rule of thumb is that carrying into someone else's home is a breach of etiquette, and I don't do it. An organization I belong to regularly meets in the home of one of the members. My guess is that she would be uncomfortable if she thought I was carrying. I have not and will not ask her. I just leave it in the car when at her house.

I make an exception for people whom I know would not mind. That mostly boils down to family.
My thoughts are similar, but in the reverse. I consider it a breach of etiquette for a guest to come to my home unprepared for their personal defense. If they are going to drink, then it is understandable to not come armed. But if they are planning to stay sober it is a bit rude to expect that I will take care of their personal responsibility for self defense.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

rotor wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
rotor wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:In this instance, manners and personal relations might trump legalities. How would you feel if the neighbors brought their dog and/or kids to your party?
My concealed dog? My concealed kids?
The purpose of concealed is to conceal. If you have qualms about this ask the person sponsoring the party. If they say no that means no. I don't think any level of alcohol and firearms are acceptable.
The part I bolded is your personal opinion, and you are certainly entitled to it. Others are entitled to their personal opinion about concealed guns in their homes.

Question for you. I assume you are OK with someone carrying at a party in your home. If so, would you still be OK with that person having a few drinks as long as they were not intoxicated, or would your approval of their CC be conditional on a requirement that they not drink at all?
Soccerdad1995, yes I am OK with people carrying at my house. If they were concealed I wouldn't know anyway since I don't frisk people at the doorway. So, I never know if they are carrying or not when they come to my house. On the issue of alcohol, my personal feeling is that firearms and alcohol don't mix. Intoxicated may be more a legal term. This forum has many posts about alcohol and firearms so I won't redo the posts, I am just stating my personal opinion. I also have a commercial pilots license but no longer fly. The 8 hours bottle to throttle time period has always been good for me. I am somewhat biased about alcohol as I get migraines and almost never drink so it easy easy for me to be pious.
Years ago a neighbor had a party at his house, alcohol was served, a guest left and crashed his car into the car of a lady who became paralyzed from the neck down. The lawsuits were huge and the person that held the party (my neighbor) lost a multi million dollar judgement.
You are correct though, the part that you bolded is my opinion.
That makes sense.

KLB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by KLB »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:My thoughts are similar, but in the reverse. I consider it a breach of etiquette for a guest to come to my home unprepared for their personal defense.
To each, his own. Reasonable minds can differ.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

KLB wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:My thoughts are similar, but in the reverse. I consider it a breach of etiquette for a guest to come to my home unprepared for their personal defense.
:iagree:

My wife is a volunteer for Hillary's campaign. Believe me, I am very familiar with reasonable disagreements.

LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LSUTiger »

If it's legal to carry do so.

Concealed is concealed.

I used to worry about all this kinda baloney but don't give it a second thought anymore.

Failure to notify is implied consent in my book.

When it comes to situations like this I think don't ask, don't tell is the best policy.

Having said that, most everyone I know knows I carry. None have ever mentioned it. Not even the few anti gunners.

Don't bring attention to it. Keep calm and carry on.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
KLB wrote:

My wife is a volunteer for Hillary's campaign. Believe me, I am very familiar with reasonable disagreements.
Does that make you part of the "basket of deplorables"? Wow, off topic.

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
KLB wrote:

What is reasonable about supporting Hillary Clinton?
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

rotor wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
KLB wrote:

I asked my wife on Saturday whether she thought I was deplorable. She said no, so apparently she doesn't agree with HRH Hillary on everything.

We have a rule in our house that no political comments are allowed. This rule is only violated on occasion.......

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

LSUTiger wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
KLB wrote:

What is reasonable about supporting Hillary Clinton?
"Reasonable" is a subjective term.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Oldgringo wrote:How would you feel if the neighbors brought their dog and/or kids to your party?
I would prefer if they brought their guns and no dogs/kids.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
rotor wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
KLB wrote:

I asked my wife on Saturday whether she thought I was deplorable. She said no, so apparently she doesn't agree with HRH Hillary on everything.

We have a rule in our house that no political comments are allowed. This rule is only violated on occasion.......
The next political comment should be "Dear, do you think Tim Kaine is going to be a good president?"
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

KLB wrote:My rule of thumb is that carrying into someone else's home is a breach of etiquette, and I don't do it. An organization I belong to regularly meets in the home of one of the members. My guess is that she would be uncomfortable if she thought I was carrying. I have not and will not ask her. I just leave it in the car when at her house.

I make an exception for people whom I know would not mind. That mostly boils down to family.
WINNER! :anamatedbanana

Give the man a cigar, Bill. No, not that one, give him a new one.

Javier730
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Javier730 »

tbryanh wrote:Does the 51% rule apply at a house party?
No.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Jketchum
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jketchum »

LSUTiger wrote:If it's legal to carry do so.

Concealed is concealed.

I used to worry about all this kinda baloney but don't give it a second thought anymore.

Failure to notify is implied consent in my book.

When it comes to situations like this I think don't ask, don't tell is the best policy.

Having said that, most everyone I know knows I carry. None have ever mentioned it. Not even the few anti gunners.

Don't bring attention to it. Keep calm and carry on.

This,

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”