CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 2

Re: House Party: CC OK?

Post by TexasTornado »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
KLB wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:My thoughts are similar, but in the reverse. I consider it a breach of etiquette for a guest to come to my home unprepared for their personal defense.
To each, his own. Reasonable minds can differ.
:iagree:

My wife is a volunteer for Hillary's campaign. Believe me, I am very familiar with reasonable disagreements.
And you're still living with her?! That's it, I'm convinced, you're a saint.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

tbryanh wrote:Is it OK to conceal carry at someone's house party they invited me to so long as they don't have any 30.06 signs posted?

Why not just ask the home owner if you're concerned about the implications of carrying in their home? They can definitively answer this for you where we cannot.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
KLB wrote:My rule of thumb is that carrying into someone else's home is a breach of etiquette, and I don't do it. An organization I belong to regularly meets in the home of one of the members. My guess is that she would be uncomfortable if she thought I was carrying. I have not and will not ask her. I just leave it in the car when at her house.

I make an exception for people whom I know would not mind. That mostly boils down to family.
My thoughts are similar, but in the reverse. I consider it a breach of etiquette for a guest to come to my home unprepared for their personal defense. If they are going to drink, then it is understandable to not come armed. But if they are planning to stay sober it is a bit rude to expect that I will take care of their personal responsibility for self defense.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AJSully421 »

I conceal everywhere that I go.

I would consider OCing without letting them know to be a minor breach of etiquette. I know that my anti-gun grandparents in Houston DO NOT want me to OC in their house... I know this because they flipped out about me OCing in my own house.

I have received several unsolicited invitations to OC at various people's homes.... and one even at a Easter Egg Hunt with lots of children around. He even said that he was surprised that I had concealed this year and that he wanted to see me OC the next year.

I have gotten to the point that I am going to carry concealed unless I am going to be out in the sticks like at a state park, the ranch, and such. I got the whole OC thing out of my system by now.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I asked my wife on Saturday whether she thought I was deplorable. She said no, so apparently she doesn't agree with HRH Hillary on everything. We have a rule in our house that no political comments are allowed. This rule is only violated on occasion.......
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

All I have to say is, wow y'all are some nice people! haha I don't give one rat's hind end what someone thinks about me cc'ing in their house; they won't even know, and if they find out and don't like it I will gladly leave and won't come back. Call me rude, hard headed, stubborn, cold, whatever, doesn't seem to bother the plethora of friends that I have! That said I don't drink and carry personally, I'm not going to knock someone for having a beer while they are carrying, just my own preference.
Soccerdad1995 wrote: My thoughts are similar, but in the reverse. I consider it a breach of etiquette for a guest to come to my home unprepared for their personal defense. If they are going to drink, then it is understandable to not come armed. But if they are planning to stay sober it is a bit rude to expect that I will take care of their personal responsibility for self defense.
That's me! if you are coming to my house just to enjoy each others company, and I know you have your LTC, I am going to be disappointed if you show up unarmed.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

AJSully421 wrote:I conceal everywhere that I go.

Me too. In my work I am in 5-8 customer homes every day for 30 minutes to an hour each, not drinking of course. They don't ask and I don't tell.

Legionnaire

Post by Legionnaire »

warnmar10 wrote:... They don't ask and I don't tell.
Bingo.
Cogito, ergo armatus sum.

seph

Post by seph »

jb2012 wrote:All I have to say is, wow y'all are some nice people! haha I don't give one rat's hind end what someone thinks about me cc'ing in their house; they won't even know, and if they find out and don't like it I will gladly leave and won't come back. Call me rude, hard headed, stubborn, cold, whatever, doesn't seem to bother the plethora of friends that I have! That said I don't drink and carry personally, I'm not going to knock someone for having a beer while they are carrying, just my own preference.
Soccerdad1995 wrote: My thoughts are similar, but in the reverse. I consider it a breach of etiquette for a guest to come to my home unprepared for their personal defense. If they are going to drink, then it is understandable to not come armed. But if they are planning to stay sober it is a bit rude to expect that I will take care of their personal responsibility for self defense.
That's me! if you are coming to my house just to enjoy each others company, and I know you have your LTC, I am going to be disappointed if you show up unarmed.
:iagree: I carry everywhere I go. Check the mail...carrying. Grocery store...carrying. Visiting friends....carrying. I go visiting someone's house, it's not their business if I'm carrying just that same that's it's not their business that I have a cell phone in my pocket or an NRA card in my wallet.
Let's go Brandon! "rlol"

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

With one notable exception, most of my friends would be mildly surprised if I weren't carrying. I think they would worry about my sense of self-respect.

Regarding booze, one has to be careful. I insist on my right to have a beer any time I want. It happens that I want a beer about once every three or four years.

For most LTC'ers, I imagine there is a hard-wired respect for firearms that would survive quite a severe degree of intoxication. Crime statistics bear that out, but booze and guns shouldn't mix.

It's not recommendable for a couple of reasons. Safe gun handling requires more than four big rules genetically encoded. It requires level-headed situational awareness. It would be hard to get drunk enough to mishandle a gun on a range. A little schnockered and trying to escape a stalker in an abandoned warehouse, that's going to be different.

Maybe more important, now is not the right time in history to commingle guns and social sipping. Easy for me to be an armed teetotaler, since I drink so seldom. Not so easy, though, to convince a demanding parental unit that a drink does not equal intoxicated, even if they don't think twice about getting behind the wheel after a wine tasting.

I would feel safe with a beer under the same belt carrying my pea-shooter. But would that be ammo for somebody else's protest?

My decision, submitted for your approval or to be dismissed, is I don't mix guns and beer.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

TexasTornado wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
KLB wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:My thoughts are similar, but in the reverse. I consider it a breach of etiquette for a guest to come to my home unprepared for their personal defense.
To each, his own. Reasonable minds can differ.

My wife is a volunteer for Hillary's campaign. Believe me, I am very familiar with reasonable disagreements.
And you're still living with her?! That's it, I'm convinced, you're a saint.
Or a sadist.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

seph wrote:
jb2012 wrote:All I have to say is, wow y'all are some nice people! haha I don't give one rat's hind end what someone thinks about me cc'ing in their house; they won't even know, and if they find out and don't like it I will gladly leave and won't come back. Call me rude, hard headed, stubborn, cold, whatever, doesn't seem to bother the plethora of friends that I have! That said I don't drink and carry personally, I'm not going to knock someone for having a beer while they are carrying, just my own preference.
:iagree: I carry everywhere I go. Check the mail...carrying. Grocery store...carrying. Visiting friends....carrying. I go visiting someone's house, it's not their business if I'm carrying just that same that's it's not their business that I have a cell phone in my pocket or an NRA card in my wallet.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
tbryanh
Posts in topic: 4

Post by tbryanh »

TexasTornado wrote:
tbryanh wrote:Is it OK to conceal carry at someone's house party they invited me to so long as they don't have any 30.06 signs posted?

Why not just ask the home owner if you're concerned about the implications of carrying in their home? They can definitively answer this for you where we cannot.
If I am not required to get permission, then I would rather not ask for permission. I think part of the concealing process is to not talk about concealing a weapon to the people your are concealing a weapon from. As soon as you ask for permission, you give yourself away.

KLB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by KLB »

Oldgringo wrote:Give the man a cigar, Bill. No, not that one, give him a new one.
By any standard I can imagine, that is the winner.

:woohoo

flechero

Post by flechero »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Do you ever "rub it in" that you'll be cancelling out her vote?!?!?!? :lol:

My Grandfather used to say that to Grandmom... you can vote D all you want but not a single time will it ever count! "rlol"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”