CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
m1k3r
Posts in topic: 1

Under 21 CHL Form Submission

Post by m1k3r »

Howdy,
I am 20 years old and I took the CHL class. My instructor said the class is good for 2 years. I was wondering if I am ably to send in my forms to dps early so that I can actually get my CHL the week I turn 21. I was told by one of the Clerks at my local range I should be able to, but he did not know exactly how early I can. I know that most of the time it takes 60 days to get your CHL. So, I thought if I could send it in early and get all the checks done if this should be possible.
Thanks,
Aggie m1k3r

ELB

Re: Under 21 CHL Form Submission

Post by ELB »

Unless someone here has direct experience of actually having done this, I think you will have to ask the DPS directly -- and I suspect the answer will be no.

As a bureaucratician of some experience:
You have to be 21 to be "eligible" for an LTC, and the clock for processing an application doesn't start until the application is complete. I'm guessing the DPS is not likely to regard your application as complete until you are 21, and with all the applications they have backlogged, I don't see them jumping the queue for yours when there's thousands of complete ones to be worked.

I would be happy for you if to be wrong, but that's my 2 cents.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
USAF 1982-2005

rexmitchell

Re: Under 21 CHL Form Submission

Post by rexmitchell »

This was asked in my CHL class and the answer was no, at the time of application (not completion of the application) you are not eligible, therefore you can't apply early.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”