Embarrassing question: Public intox arrest, charges dropped...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Rockthrower
Posts in topic: 3

Embarrassing question: Public intox arrest, charges dropped...

Post by Rockthrower »

So I had a squeaky clean record until 3.5 years ago when I had too much fun one day and got myself arrested for public intoxication. I completed deferred disposition: I did my community service and the charges were dropped. I've had a squeaky clean record ever since, as well. Will this affect my ability to get a Texas CHL since there were handcuffs involved and I have to answer yes to the arrest question?

Thanks folks.
Last edited by Rockthrower on Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Embarrassing question: Public intox arrest, charges dropped...

Post by ScottDLS »

Rockthrower wrote:So I had a squeaky clean record until 3.5 years ago when I had too much fun one day and got myself arrested for public intoxication. I completed deferred adjudication: I did my community service and the charges were dropped. I've had a squeaky clean record ever since, as well. Will this affect my ability to get a Texas CHL since there were handcuffs involved and I have to answer yes to the arrest question?

Thanks folks.
If it was in Texas PI is typically a class c misdemeanor so shouldn't affect LTC eligibility. If you got arrested for it 2 times in 5 years, it may be able to be used against you, but pretty sure no issue. Just disclose it on the application.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
Rockthrower

Post by Rockthrower »

ScottDLS wrote:
Rockthrower wrote:So I had a squeaky clean record until 3.5 years ago when I had too much fun one day and got myself arrested for public intoxication. I completed deferred adjudication: I did my community service and the charges were dropped. I've had a squeaky clean record ever since, as well. Will this affect my ability to get a Texas CHL since there were handcuffs involved and I have to answer yes to the arrest question?

Thanks folks.
If it was in Texas PI is typically a class c misdemeanor so shouldn't affect LTC eligibility. If you got arrested for it 2 times in 5 years, it may be able to be used against you, but pretty sure no issue. Just disclose it on the application.
Thank you. It was a Texas PI, and the final disposition is dismissed. But yeah, I haven't gotten so much as a speeding ticket in the three and a half years since.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Best of luck! I don't expect you to have any issues. Welcome to the forums!
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

The way I understand the laws, YOU ARE GOOD TO GO!
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

casp625

Post by casp625 »

Rockthrower wrote:So I had a squeaky clean record until 3.5 years ago when I had too much fun one day and got myself arrested for public intoxication. I completed deferred disposition: I did my community service and the charges were dropped. I've had a squeaky clean record ever since, as well. Will this affect my ability to get a Texas CHL since there were handcuffs involved and I have to answer yes to the arrest question?

Thanks folks.
Deferred Disposition (not deferred adjudication) resulting in dismissals have no waiting period whatsoever - it's not a disqualifier! Apply now and just list the incident/arrest on your application.

Topic author
Rockthrower

Post by Rockthrower »

Thank you everyone for your responses. I will get certified copies of my paperwork from the court and get the ball rolling.

Post by 869 »

I would apply as soon as possible if you haven't done so. I don't think you will ultimately need any paperwork on the arrest but I would not wait to apply in an event.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”