Probably the Weirdest Forum Question Ever

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Pig Renter
Posts in topic: 2

Probably the Weirdest Forum Question Ever

Post by Pig Renter »

My apologies in advance for tainting this website with my immature curiosity.

I spend many days out on the town either for work or personal reasons running errands. And sometimes, unfortunately, I am hit with a sudden urge that requires me to head to the nearest little boys room and take a seat on the porcelain throne. This has happened to me only a few times, as I imagine it probably has some of you. Usually its like somewhere such as Lowes, Walmart, HEB, etc...

My reason for this post is, I was just wondering how ya'll handle you're holster/weapon in these circumstances. I'd feel exposed and vulnerable if I were to leave it attached to my belt down around my ankle's for my neighbor in the next stall to see. Who knows who that person is, how they'll react, if they might try to snatch it, or complain, cause a scene, etc. So I usually just remove my paddle holster and either stick it in my lap or on top of the TP dispenser.

Now, me being me, and always trying to dissect situations and hypotheticals out of curiosity's sake, I can't help but wonder the legality of this, technically speaking. If you remove the pistol from the belt and hold on to it, are you now illegally open carrying because its not in "a shoulder or belt holster"?

Or would it technically be considered concealed because you are not intentionally displaying it in a public place?

Alternately, would you actually be breaking the law if you left it attached to your belt which is on your pants down around your ankles which is in plain sight beneath the partition?

Sorry for the weird questions? That's just how my mind works.

The Annoyed Man

Re: Probably the Weirdest Forum Question Ever

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Not weird, but getting a little repetitive. Use the site's search function......there's like a gazillion threads where this has already been asked.

http://www.texaschlforum.com/search.php ... mit=Search
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mojo84 »

There have been quite a few threads on this in the past. You may want to try searching for the terms "public restroom". Most of them got pretty silly and way off in left field. http://www.texaschlforum.com/search.php ... c+restroom

My thoughts are adults that have demonstrated we can handle carrying a handgun in public should be able to figure out how to use a public restroom with one. It's really not that hard and since open carry is now legal, it's even easier.
Last edited by mojo84 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I usually try to get the stall on the end so that my RH holster is not next to any neighbors. I will even wait a few minutes, if needed, for that stall to become available. Sometimes that is not possible because the stalls are on the "wrong" wall, so in those cases, I have placed my gun in my pants, or on the TP dispenser, with the gun in the holster.

I think this is legal, post January 1, 2016, because the gun is in a belt holster which is "on or about" my person. Just like having a gun in a holster on the passenger's seat while driving.

Topic author
Pig Renter

Post by Pig Renter »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Not weird, but getting a little repetitive. Use the site's search function......there's like a gazillion threads where this has already been asked. [/url]
My mistake. I did do quick search for "bathroom" and, yes I'm embarrassed to admit it, for "pooping", however I was lazy and only scanned the first few pages of results. I shoulda searched with more specificity.

But thanks anyway, I will go back and read those old posts.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Pig Renter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Not weird, but getting a little repetitive. Use the site's search function......there's like a gazillion threads where this has already been asked. [/url]
My mistake. I did do quick search for "bathroom" and, yes I'm embarrassed to admit it, for "pooping", however I was lazy and only scanned the first few pages of results. I shoulda searched with more specificity.

No problem. There are a lot of questions like this that are more common than you would expect. Everybody poops.......except my wife. It would be unthinkable if she did. "rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Actually it's a periodic question as it's a concern we all have at one time or another.

for background info, go to youtube.com and search on "going to the bathroom while carrying". There are at least half a dozen serious treatments of the subject, plus a fair selection of frivolous ones.

For those who are old enough to remember it, there's a reason why the character "Fish" (played by Abe Vigoda) in the TV series "Barney Miller" was the only one in the squadroom who used a shoulder holster.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Pig Renter wrote:

No problem. There are a lot of questions like this that are more common than you would expect. Everybody poops.......except my wife. It would be unthinkable if she did. "rlol"
"rlol"
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Smokey613

Post by Smokey613 »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:Actually it's a periodic question as it's a concern we all have at one time or another.

for background info, go to youtube.com and search on "going to the bathroom while carrying". There are at least half a dozen serious treatments of the subject, plus a fair selection of frivolous ones.

For those who are old enough to remember it, there's a reason why the character "Fish" (played by Abe Vigoda) in the TV series "Barney Miller" was the only one in the squadroom who used a shoulder holster.
I loved that show! It was hilariously funny but did manage to cover some interesting topics.
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Pig Renter wrote:
My mistake. I did do quick search for "bathroom" and, yes I'm embarrassed to admit it, for "pooping", however I was lazy and only scanned the first few pages of results. I should "rlol" a searched with more specificity.

No prob "rlol" lem. There are a lot of questions like this that are more common than you would expect. Everybody poops.......except my wife. It would be unthinkable if she did. "rlol"
OMG!

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit how loud I laughed when I read this.

"rlol"
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”