Penalty for violating campus carry signs

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Penalty for violating campus carry signs

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Russell wrote:What is the penalty for violating a 30.06 sign on a college campus? It would appear to be nothing more than a class C, but would like verification of that.

If I am reading it right, 46.03(1)(b) nullifies the felony, which seems to only leave 30.06(d) for penalties.

Here's a brain twister though - if the university is state owned, 30.06(e) nullifies the entire 30.06 section (owned by a governmental entity, CHLers now allowed on campus so no 46.03 restriction anymore). But 46.03(1)(b) also nullifies section 46.03 for concealed license holders ... so no penalty now besides possibly getting kicked out of college?
46.035 (a-1), (a-2) and (a-3) are where campus carry is addressed. 46.035 (g) is where the penalty is addressed.

(g) An offense under Subsection (a), (a-1), (a-2), (a-3), (b), (c), (d), or (e) is a Class A misdemeanor, unless the offense is committed under Subsection (b)(1) or (b)(3), in which event the offense is a felony of the third degree.

Class A.

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

Russell wrote:
Papa_Tiger wrote: 46.035 (a-1), (a-2) and (a-3) are where campus carry is addressed. 46.035 (g) is where the penalty is addressed.

(g) An offense under Subsection (a), (a-1), (a-2), (a-3), (b), (c), (d), or (e) is a Class A misdemeanor, unless the offense is committed under Subsection (b)(1) or (b)(3), in which event the offense is a felony of the third degree.

Class A.

Yep, needed more coffee.

Perfect. Thank you! We're updating the apps this weekend to get the correct penalties listed in the tools section. :tiphat:

Thanks for doing that! :tiphat:
Ron
NRA Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

It sure is a tangled web that has been woven. What a mess. :banghead:

They've gotten this thing so twisted up that I doubt this mess can be straightened out or simplified in my lifetime.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Russell wrote:
Papa_Tiger wrote: 46.035 (a-1), (a-2) and (a-3) are where campus carry is addressed. 46.035 (g) is where the penalty is addressed.

Class A.

Yep, needed more coffee.

Perfect. Thank you! We're updating the apps this weekend to get the correct penalties listed in the tools section. :tiphat:
Russell,

Have y'all thought about making entire campuses have a boundary so that when you're getting close the app could notify you and then give you a link to that campus's policy (in the app or shelled out to Safari/chrome/etc)?

That would be really cool to be able to get kicked over to the specific policy that applies to your current location.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”