First few days Carrying....

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bjrichus
Posts in topic: 4

First few days Carrying....

Post by bjrichus »

My work is at a "Campus Carry" location and this semester is the first we "staffers" can legitimately concealed carry. That was one of the main drivers for me getting an LTC this year. Not that I feel under too great a threat, even if educational locations are historically at least, known to be venues for mass shootings, but it did play a part in the decision for me.

So last month, I completed all the requirements, application etc and late last week, my card arrived. That background doesn't matter too much for this post, except to set the scene. These last few days, I have been carrying going into and out of work from the parking lot (also on the drive to and from), about the place inside the building all the while, being careful to not break our carry policy. So its a win for everyone as I get to carry, the institution gets someone careful to observe the rules, and more. So far, all good.

I have to say that I now understand why a CHL/LTC holder can have a forever growing collection of holsters! I understand that it is all a lump of metal and plastic on our hips or waistbands and so on and that it takes getting used to, but having tried everything from crappy cloth in pocket, OWB, and IWB, Kydex or not, nothing seems to satisfy 100%. This is especially true for us "larger than normal" guys. It really is a crazy balance to get right.

My wife is just going to have to get used to me grumbling about one holster or the other all the time. :smilelol5:

Man! This is going to get expensive, real quick! We need a holster try-out service. I'd be happy to not pay eBay prices (i.e. pay a little bit more), to be able to try out a bunch at one time and discover more, quickly.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Re: First few days Carrying....

Post by Pawpaw »

Here's the $64.00 question: Are you wearing a good gun belt?

If not, get one. Even a crappy holster will be much improved with a proper gun belt. It will save you money, in the long run.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

flowrie
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flowrie »

Pawpaw wrote:Here's the $64.00 question: Are you wearing a good gun belt?

If not, get one. Even a crappy holster will be much improved with a proper gun belt. It will save you money, in the long run.
I agree, a good belt makes a world of difference.
Start with a good belt, then try holsters, not the other way around.
I say this based on my experience.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

1) Be Proficient with your Pistol
2) train hard with your EDC Pistol
3) Never touch your pistol unless you have to use
4) Last thing you would ever want to happen is a ND at work.

Be safe.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

First off congrats on getting your plastic.
Unfortunately there is no one "right" answer for which holster will work for you. Everyone has different needs when it comes to what "works".
If you spend most of your day seated, you will need something different than someone who spends more time on their feet. Body type is a factor also. I am 5'-8" tall 175 lbs. So what I use will not work for someone larger. Gun type will also be a deciding factor.
I wish, like you, that there was an outlet with "try out" holsters, but unfortunately they don't exist, but, if you want to get out of teaching, it would definitely be a money making enterprise.
If you have to wear a jacket, you may even look at shoulder holsters.

Just trying to complicate things.

:biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
bjrichus
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bjrichus »

Jusme wrote:First off congrats on getting your plastic.
Thank you all.
Jusme wrote:Unfortunately there is no one "right" answer...
Exactly. This is why I floated the holster try-out as an idea!
Jusme wrote:If you have to wear a jacket, you may even look at shoulder holsters.

Just trying to complicate things.
Thank goodness I don't have to wear a jacket.

Complications are the usual crap of life. :lol:

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

First off, thank you for carrying on campus. :tiphat: If my children were still college age I would feel better knowing they had people on campus that were able to defend them.

Secondly, as to the holster. I have three, for three different guns. My best IWB for comfort has a wide thick piece of leather that goes up against my body and prevents me from feeling the gun at all. I always wear an undershirt with it, and mine just happens to be a Cross Breed. The first week or so it was uncomfortable. The leather needs time to break in and conform to your unique shape. But yes YMMV, and no one solution is best for everybody.

I love your idea about a holster try out service. There are at least 4 in my holster drawer that I would never have bought if I could have worn them for a week first.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

STEELTRIP1N

Post by STEELTRIP1N »

You might want to try n82 tactical holster very nice holsters try it for 30 days if you don't like it send it back.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

:cheers2: being in your exact shoes at a university, I say welcome to the club!
It was a little odd carrying into work for the first few days, but I got used to it quickly.
I second the thought of a proper gun belt - your life will be so much better with a good reinforced gun belt.
I'm going to try AIWB before long to try something different... right now I have an Alien Gear holster and I'm very pleased with it.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPBrown »

:iagree:
A good gun belt makes a world of difference.
As for holsters, wait until your gun collection starts to grow. Then you will be in real trouble.
My wife opened my bottom drawer last week which was my catch all drawer. She calls me in and asks "why do you need so many holsters?" My reply was that some of them were hers where she was trying them out on her guns :oops: . What I didnt tell her was there are at least 3 for each platform I carry and probably that many or more for her 3 different guns :mrgreen:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I'll chime in with Paw Paw and the rest: Be sure you're carrying with an actual gun belt, not some heavy belt good for construction or hiking or whatever.

A real/bona fide/genuine GUN BELT is what you want.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

RPBrown wrote:

:iagree:
A good gun belt makes a world of difference.
As for holsters, wait until your gun collection starts to grow. Then you will be in real trouble.
My wife opened my bottom drawer last week which was my catch all drawer. She calls me in and asks "why do you need so many holsters?" My reply was that some of them were hers where she was trying them out on her guns :oops: . What I didnt tell her was there are at least 3 for each platform I carry and probably that many or more for her 3 different guns :mrgreen:
Only 3 per gun?

I have to keep some in boxes in the garage to avoid having to answer those types of questions....... :lol:
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

allisji

Post by allisji »

a good gun belt goes a long way.

That said, if you are carrying a common gun, then there are probably lots of posters on this forum who would be willing to give holster tips, maybe even let you try on several holsters, trade holsters or even give you an excellent deal on some already broken in holsters.

You just have to ask!
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Caliber

Post by Caliber »

I think my holsters are like rabbits!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”