Motorcycle accident interactions

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Motorcycle accident interactions

Post by puma guy »

Glad you injuries we not worse. I'm glad your CCW wasn't an issue with first responders as well.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Very glad all your appendages remain attached and functional. Could have been much worse.

Hope the uninsured-motorist protection clause of your own insurance is iron-clad.

An underlying problem here isn't very far distant from the "gun violence" debate: Texas has a law that all drivers carry at least the state-mandated minimum liability insurance. Yet law-abiding citizens end up suffering--physically and financially--due to those who ignore the law. And rather than adding resources to enable our LEOs to enforce the laws already on the books, the solution from liberal politicians is to bark and whine for yet more laws.

Your body and your pocketbook will feel this one. Your insurance company won't have any money trails worth chasing, and your premiums will go up because an uninsured, illegal driver was at fault. Wonder what will happen to that uninsured, illegal driver. My bet is...not much.

Data is two years old, but Dallas County takes the prize for the percentage of uninsured motorists on the streets in Texas. One in six--over 16%--of drivers in Dallas County have no auto insurance despite state law.

Across Texas, the cumulative total ain't much better: 14% of drivers have no insurance. That's over 2.5 million drivers on the road disobeying the law and, very likely, not caring and never intending to pay a dime to anyone they hit or kill.

Yet we are the deplorables. We are the irredeemables.
The Dallas Morning News wrote:Dallas lawyer Jim Mills, who handles clients hit by uninsured drivers, said he hasn’t see much relief in the number of such cases. That’s despite repeated attempts to get them off the road.

If someone without insurance hits his client, Mills checks whether others might be liable. If not, and there’s no uninsured-motorist protection, the client may be out of luck.
I wonder how many of those 2.5 million illegal drivers positively love Hillary Clinton?
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Great to hear your doing ok, with only relativity minor injury's.
My accident last Jan, I was also carrying (well it was a day that ended in "y" and I was awake...so it is a pretty sure bet Im armed) luckily I had a friend with me ., wife minutes behind , and as it happen my son was coming in to town for a visit, passed by and stopped to see who had a bike like dads and crashed......
I was also told the weapon could not accompany me in the ambulance.. I got the impression what and how I handled that was ,my concern... as in, give it to a friend, the cop, or toss it in the ditch, your call sir.... you can get transported, the weapon not so much.

I wounder what happens when the weapon is discovered en route ? Do they pull over and throw it out the door? Pull over call police and wait? pull over, exit the patient from the vehicle and go have ice cream?
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

jadoti

Post by jadoti »

Skiprr wrote: Data is two years old, but Dallas County takes the prize for the percentage of uninsured motorists on the streets in Texas. One in six--over 16%--of drivers in Dallas County have no auto insurance despite state law.
And yet the auto industry is held up as a shining example of why "sensible" gun registration laws would work... odd.

Back on topic: OP, glad you're ok and walked away with relatively minor injuries. About 10 years ago I had a car pull out in front of me and I had to lay down my bike as well. Then the driver decided to stop right in my path of sliding and I impacted her car, cracking two vertebrae and breaking my pelvis... not good times, for sure. With so many distractions tempting drivers these days, it really does take testicles of steel to venture out amongst them on two wheels. God bless and stay safe when you get back out there :)
Proud NRA Lifetime Member

txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

Glad you are ok, as a rider and carrier I have often wondered what would happen to my firearms if involved in a wreck on my ultra classic.
My bike is white , as of so far I guess people think it's a police bike and notice it. I can't complain it's ether that or my guardian angel does a really outstanding job while I am on the bike. Again glad you walked away.
Truth against the world

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

Skiprr wrote:Very glad all your appendages remain attached and functional. Could have been much worse.

Hope the uninsured-motorist protection clause of your own insurance is iron-clad.

An underlying problem here isn't very far distant from the "gun violence" debate: Texas has a law that all drivers carry at least the state-mandated minimum liability insurance. Yet law-abiding citizens end up suffering--physically and financially--due to those who ignore the law. And rather than adding resources to enable our LEOs to enforce the laws already on the books, the solution from liberal politicians is to bark and whine for yet more laws.

Your body and your pocketbook will feel this one. Your insurance company won't have any money trails worth chasing, and your premiums will go up because an uninsured, illegal driver was at fault. Wonder what will happen to that uninsured, illegal driver. My bet is...not much.

Data is two years old, but Dallas County takes the prize for the percentage of uninsured motorists on the streets in Texas. One in six--over 16%--of drivers in Dallas County have no auto insurance despite state law.

Across Texas, the cumulative total ain't much better: 14% of drivers have no insurance. That's over 2.5 million drivers on the road disobeying the law and, very likely, not caring and never intending to pay a dime to anyone they hit or kill.

Yet we are the deplorables. We are the irredeemables.
The Dallas Morning News wrote:Dallas lawyer Jim Mills, who handles clients hit by uninsured drivers, said he hasn’t see much relief in the number of such cases. That’s despite repeated attempts to get them off the road.

If someone without insurance hits his client, Mills checks whether others might be liable. If not, and there’s no uninsured-motorist protection, the client may be out of luck.
I wonder how many of those 2.5 million illegal drivers positively love Hillary Clinton?

I believe in Arizona, your insurance info is kept in a computerized database, and if it shows you do not have coverage, they will send out someone to confiscate your LP from the vehicle, until you show proof of coverage. As long as insurance companies allow people to get coverage by only paying one month, then this will continue to be a problem, they can buy just enough to get their vehicles inspected and registered, and then don't have to pay anything for another year. That is why law abiding citizens have to pay such big premiums, to make up for those without insurance. And yes, I'll bet most vote Democrat.

Lucas MaCain, I'm glad you weren't seriously injured. It's a shame that people don't watch for motorcycles, and even worse when they don't carry insurance. Was their vehicle towed? That was my department's policy for any uninsured vehicle, and it was held, until proof of insurance was obtained. Along with a citation for no insurance. Not that any of that helps the victim, after the fact.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

LucasMcCain wrote:So I thought I would share my experience of a week ago now that I can use a keyboard again. I was in an accident when a SUV pulled out in front of me while I was on my motorcycle. I couldn't stop in time and impacted the rear side of their vehicle, laying the bike down and hitting their car with my shoulder. My bike is repairable, on my insurance, since the SUV driver didn't have any. I suffered a dislocated shoulder and a couple minor scrapes and bruises. I always wear a helmet, and I had on a leather jacket as well.
Several years ago, Dallas passed an ordinance that allows the police to impound vehicles of drivers found not to have insurance. Since this person was involved in an accident, do you know if the police impounded their vehicle? I don't know if other cities have similar ordinances or not or exactly which city this occurred in if it would be applicable.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
LucasMcCain
Posts in topic: 5

Post by LucasMcCain »

Jusme wrote: Lucas MaCain, I'm glad you weren't seriously injured. It's a shame that people don't watch for motorcycles, and even worse when they don't carry insurance. Was their vehicle towed? That was my department's policy for any uninsured vehicle, and it was held, until proof of insurance was obtained. Along with a citation for no insurance. Not that any of that helps the victim, after the fact.
Thanks to everyone for the concern and well wishes. I'm recovering well so far.

I don't know if they got their SUV towed or not. The police were still talking to them when I left. My wife is going by to try to get a copy of the police report right now. The online access is apparently down.

My insurance is covering me for the accident, even though I don't have uninsured/underinsured coverage. I will have to pay my deductible, but since I have comprehensive coverage I am still covered for the repairs. I'm far more worried about the hospital bill, which hasn't arrived yet. It would normally be taken care of by the other driver's insurance, but I will have to pay it. I agree that that simply isn't right, and the laws need to be changed to address this. Maybe if in this situation the hospital bill was sent to the offending party, it would be a deterrent to not carrying insurance.

Just to fill in a little background as well, I've been riding for 11 years. I ride a Honda Shadow 750 now, but started out on a Rebel 250. I ride extremely defensively. I don't take chances or ride like a squid. I don't even ride major freeways. I enjoy riding, so I'm not in a hurry when I'm on the bike. This was just an instance where all the defensive tactics and practice in the world couldn't keep me from getting hurt, but they did keep me from getting hurt any worse than I did. It also would have been a lot worse had I not been wearing gear. Thanks again for everyone's kind words. I really appreciate them.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

Glad you're OK. Speedy recovery!

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

You can always pursue civil litigation, but, if they can't afford insurance they probably don't have any money to pay a settlement. After you get the accident report, you can always meet an attorney to find out your options. I would definitely want to know if the police allowed an uninsured vehicle to be driven away. If it wasn't towed, the driver has no real reason to obtain insurance, and could do the same thing to someone else. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

rotor

Post by rotor »

As everyone has said, glad you are OK. I personally loved riding motorcycles but 40 years ago while driving home from work on my cycle a lady pulled out of a supermarket and almost hit me. Three blocks closer to home a different lady pulled out of a driveway and almost hit me. I parked my bike at home and never drove on the streets again. I decided then that there were less dangerous ways to have fun, like flying ( which may or may not be less dangerous). What might be a little fender bender in a car is a potentially lethal accident on a bike. Too risky for me. Over the last few years I have personally seen 3 deadly motorcycle accidents and I was surprised about one thing, they were all single vehicle accidents with the driver losing control for whatever reason. We are all risk takers but for me the risk of cycles was just too high. Again, glad you are not seriously hurt.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Glad you're ok. Motorcycle MVAs I've been on this far have rarely had good outcomes, so it's really refreshing to hear that yours had a good one. Bet your shoulder would disagree with me though...

Also, I'm glad that no Glock was injured in the process.

Thanks for sharing and stay safe.

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

Glad for you that your injuries weren't worse and that everything worked out well on the scene. Best wishes for a quick recovery as well as for resolving all the other issues.

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

LucasMcCain wrote:My bike is repairable, on my insurance, since the SUV driver didn't have any. I suffered a dislocated shoulder and a couple minor scrapes and bruises. I always wear a helmet, and I had on a leather jacket as well.
I'm glad it sounds like you're going to recover physically.

Did the police arrest the driver operating the high-capacity assault vehicle without insurance?
"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty."
III

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Skiprr wrote: Data is two years old, but Dallas County takes the prize for the percentage of uninsured motorists on the streets in Texas. One in six--over 16%--of drivers in Dallas County have no auto insurance despite state law.

Glad the OP is relatively on one piece.

RGV takes the prize for UM's; 3 out of every 10 drivers on the road here.

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/articl ... 9a051.html

http://www.krgv.com/story/31515695/rgv- ... s-in-texas
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”