Will a DD214 help me get a CHL under 21?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Gunlover4790
Posts in topic: 1

Will a DD214 help me get a CHL under 21?

Post by Gunlover4790 »

To my understanding, if you are active duty and under 21 you are still eligible for a CHL. I am under 21 and was in the military for 7 months until I got injured and discharged with an OTH. I didn't get the chance to get my CHL then, but could I get it now since I was in active duty? I have my DD-214. Thanks!
Last edited by Gunlover4790 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Will a DD214 help me get a CHL under 21?

Post by Pawpaw »

GC §411.172. ELIGIBILITY. wrote:(g) Notwithstanding Subsection (a)(2), a person who is at least 18 years of age but not yet 21 years of age is eligible for a license to carry a handgun if the person:
(1) is a member or veteran of the United States armed forces, including a member or veteran of the reserves or national guard;
(2) was discharged under honorable conditions, if discharged from the United States armed forces, reserves, or national guard; and
(3) meets the other eligibility requirements of Subsection (a) except for the minimum age required by federal law to purchase a handgun.
It sure looks like you can.

BTW, you can download the handbook, which includes the above text, here: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetFo ... CHL-16.pdf
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”