Is carrying at a city park legal?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Is carrying at a city park legal?

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

ScottDLS wrote:I've never gotten this daycare thing. There's no mention of it anywhere in the law...?
Think of the Chirrens!!!!!! Oh maw Gawd, the Chirrens!!! We can't be havin nuh gawns nowhere nearby the chirrens.

FCH
Posts in topic: 2

Post by FCH »

ScottDLS wrote:I've never gotten this daycare thing. There's no mention of it anywhere in the law...?
MINIMUM STANDARDS FOR CHILD-CARE CENTERS TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF FAMILY AND PROTECTIVE SERVICES LICENSING DIVISION wrote:§746.3707. Are firearms or other weapons allowed at my child-care center?
Subchapter S, Safety Practices
Division 1, Safety Precautions
September 2003
(no weight) (a) Law enforcement officials who are trained and certified to carry a firearm on duty may have firearms or ammunition on the premises of the child-care center.
High (b) For all other persons, firearms, hunting knives, bows and arrows, and other weapons are prohibited on the premises of the child-care center, unless the child-care center is also your residence.
High (c) Firearms, hunting knives, bows and arrows, and other weapons kept on the premises of a child-care center located in your home must remain in a locked cabinet inaccessible to children during all hours of operation.
High (d) Ammunition must be kept in a separate locked cabinet and inaccessible to children during all hours of operation.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ScottDLS »

FCH wrote:
MINIMUM STANDARDS FOR CHILD-CARE CENTERS TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF FAMILY AND PROTECTIVE SERVICES LICENSING DIVISION wrote:§746.3707. Are firearms or other weapons allowed at my child-care center?
September 2003
(no weight) (a) Law enforcement officials who are trained and certified to carry a firearm on duty may have firearms or ammunition on the premises of the child-care center.
High (b) For all other persons, firearms, hunting knives, bows and arrows, and other weapons are prohibited on the premises of the child-care center, unless the child-care center is also your residence.
High (c) Firearms, hunting knives, bows and arrows, and other weapons kept on the premises of a child-care center located in your home must remain in a locked cabinet inaccessible to children during all hours of operation.
High (d) Ammunition must be kept in a separate locked cabinet and inaccessible to children during all hours of operation.
And this is relevant to a daycare visitor, how? :confused5

Well I guess if I CC at a daycare that I don't own I could put their license in jeopardy... Too bad for the Fort Worth Zoo.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Vincelopez23 wrote:New here, so I apologize if this is the wrong section.

I received my license 2 days ago, and haven't had a chance to actually carry yet. But the wife and I regularly take our dogs to a local city dog park. I was wondering if anyone knew if it is legal to carry there given there are no signs posted? I appreciate any help or advice! :txflag:
The one exception I can think of is if there is a school sponsored activity taking place at the park, in which case you would not be able to legally carry there.

I disagree.
Chas.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Vincelopez23 wrote:New here, so I apologize if this is the wrong section.

I received my license 2 days ago, and haven't had a chance to actually carry yet. But the wife and I regularly take our dogs to a local city dog park. I was wondering if anyone knew if it is legal to carry there given there are no signs posted? I appreciate any help or advice! :txflag:
The one exception I can think of is if there is a school sponsored activity taking place at the park, in which case you would not be able to legally carry there.

I disagree.
Chas.
:iagree: w/ Charles
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

The exception I can think of is if the park is on land owned by the Army Corps of Engineers. On the west side of Houston, for example, we have a number of parks--including at least two dog parks that I know of--that are labeled as county parks but are wholly on ACOE property.

If you regularly use one or two dog parks, just check online to see if the property is ACOE (http://www.swd.usace.army.mil/). If on state, county, or local land, not federal, you're good to go.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 3

Post by AJSully421 »

ScottDLS wrote:
Teamless wrote: ...
If you are not participating or included with the school activities, then carry on

Just like going to a zoo
If there is a school trip there which you are not part of, you are not prohibited from carrying

Unless the zoo is a school like the FW Zoo, or an amusement park, like the Dallas Zoo. :biggrinjester:

Also, don't forget to leave your pistol at home if the park is within 100,000 feet of a school. You can never forget about the Federal Gun-Free School Zone ZIP Code Law!!!!!!!
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

casp625

Post by casp625 »

FCH wrote:
September 2003
Not seeing where it's illegal? Punishment? Penal Code enforcement?

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

FCH wrote:
September 2003
This is a regulation by the agency that licenses childcare facilities. I believe I have an email somewhere from them saying they do require such facilities to post, unless they are on property owned or leased by a government entity in which case they will not require such a posting (the reason being fines for signs). Essentially a day care operator can loose their license if they do not prohibit firearms, unless they are a government body then they can get fined if they do.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

FCH

Post by FCH »

G.A. Heath wrote:
FCH wrote:
September 2003
This is a regulation by the agency that licenses childcare facilities. I believe I have an email somewhere from them saying they do require such facilities to post, unless they are on property owned or leased by a government entity in which case they will not require such a posting (the reason being fines for signs). Essentially a day care operator can loose their license if they do not prohibit firearms, unless they are a government body then they can get fined if they do.
Facilities are absolutely NOT required to post 30.06 or 30.07, however, they can lose their license if caught violating the standards.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

AJSully421 wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
If you are not participating or included with the school activities, then carry on

Just like going to a zoo
If there is a school trip there which you are not part of, you are not prohibited from carrying

Unless the zoo is a school like the FW Zoo, or an amusement park, like the Dallas Zoo. :biggrinjester:

Also, don't forget to leave your pistol at home if the park is within 100,000 feet of a school. You can never forget about the Federal Gun-Free School Zone ZIP Code Law!!!!!!!
If you're not being sarcastic, I think you mean 1,000 feet.

And if you have a license to carry, you are exempt from the Federal GFZ law (Texas resident w/Texas license only).
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I have been unable to find my response from the Department of Family Services. Although I fear I may have occidentally deleted it, this thread has a similar response from CCL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=81781&p=1044297&hil ... s#p1044297

While signage is not required by rule for child care centers, they do have to provide effective notification or risk loosing their license.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The day care we used to take our daughter to before she was old enough to enroll in school never had any signage and never provided oral notification regarding the prohibition of firearms. It was a house in a residential neighborhood, but not a home where anyone lived. Well, I'm not entirely sure about that last part. I'm also not certain that there wasn't something in the paperwork about any prohibition or actual 30.06 verbiage. I often CCed when either dropping her off or picking her up. Anyway, that was many years ago and I think that day care has since closed after the owner died.

As an aside, please remember that sarcasm isn't very obvious without the proper smiley and even then is not always understood. There's a new member asking a question that would seem obvious to many of us that have been carrying for years and even decades and they might not understand that some of the sarcastic answers are only that.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 3

Post by AJSully421 »

oohrah wrote:
AJSully421 wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:

Just like going to a zoo

If you're not being sarcastic, I think you mean 1,000 feet.

And if you have a license to carry, you are exempt from the Federal GFZ law (Texas resident w/Texas license only).
I come up with some INSANELY outrageous number like one hundred thousand feet of a school... that is around 18.5 miles. How are you supposed to know if you are within 18.5 miles of a school or not at all times? And to add to the obvious overstatement, I even add "ZIP code" to the name of the school zone, then I use way too many exclamation points. Lastly, we all know that license holders are exempt, otherwise we would be getting arrested almost daily... and you have trouble telling if I am being sarcastic or not? OK.

I try not to use smileys or emoticons of any type because I am not a 13 year old girl.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”