Is carrying at a city park legal?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Vincelopez23
Posts in topic: 7

Is carrying at a city park legal?

Post by Vincelopez23 »

New here, so I apologize if this is the wrong section.

I received my license 2 days ago, and haven't had a chance to actually carry yet. But the wife and I regularly take our dogs to a local city dog park. I was wondering if anyone knew if it is legal to carry there given there are no signs posted? I appreciate any help or advice! :txflag:

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Is carrying at a city park legal?

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Vincelopez23 wrote:New here, so I apologize if this is the wrong section.

I received my license 2 days ago, and haven't had a chance to actually carry yet. But the wife and I regularly take our dogs to a local city dog park. I was wondering if anyone knew if it is legal to carry there given there are no signs posted? I appreciate any help or advice! :txflag:
Yes it is legal. Even if there were signs it would still be legal if the city owned the park. The one exception I can think of is if there is a school sponsored activity taking place at the park, in which case you would not be able to legally carry there.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Flightmare »

A city park was the first place I was carrying. Went with my dad and brother to take my nieces and nephew to play. Kids never noticed what I had in my pocket.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
Vincelopez23

Post by Vincelopez23 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:

Yes it is legal. Even if there were signs it would still be legal if the city owned the park. The one exception I can think of is if there is a school sponsored activity taking place at the park, in which case you would not be able to legally carry there.
Makes perfect sense. Thank you!

Topic author
Vincelopez23

Post by Vincelopez23 »

Flightmare wrote:

A city park was the first place I was carrying. Went with my dad and brother to take my nieces and nephew to play. Kids never noticed what I had in my pocket.
Well I carry a full size 1911, slightly more noticeable I suppose :lol:

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Flightmare »

Vincelopez23 wrote:
Flightmare wrote:

A full size 1911 is a bit larger than what I carry. Although I'm looking for a good shoulder rig for my Ruger SR1911. Something to wear under my coat during the winter.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
Vincelopez23

Post by Vincelopez23 »

Flightmare wrote:
Vincelopez23 wrote:
Flightmare wrote:

A full size 1911 is a bit larger than what I carry. Although I'm looking for a good shoulder rig for my Ruger SR1911. Something to wear under my coat during the winter.
I've always preferred full size guns, they're not always the most comfortable, but it's what I shoot best with, and that's what matters most to me. I'd really like to try a commander size 1911, possibly in 9mm.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Vincelopez23 wrote:
Flightmare wrote:
Vincelopez23 wrote:
Flightmare wrote:

I've always preferred full size guns, they're not always the most comfortable, but it's what I shoot best with, and that's what matters most to me. I'd really like to try a commander size 1911, possibly in 9mm.
I'd recommend trying one with a bobbed mainspring housing. I have 2 of those (V-bob and Guardian) and they are extremely easy to conceal. There is a great deal on a bobbed Kimber in the sale forum right now. It's a .45 though. The trade off of one extra round for a drop in caliber never made any sense to me, personally, so all my 1911's are chambered in .45.

Topic author
Vincelopez23

Post by Vincelopez23 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Vincelopez23 wrote:
Flightmare wrote:
Vincelopez23 wrote:
Flightmare wrote:

I'd recommend trying one with a bobbed mainspring housing. I have 2 of those (V-bob and Guardian) and they are extremely easy to conceal. There is a great deal on a bobbed Kimber in the sale forum right now. It's a .45 though. The trade off of one extra round for a drop in caliber never made any sense to me, personally, so all my 1911's are chambered in .45.
The only reason I'd get one in 9mm is mainly so that I could spend more time at the range with less expense, but still practice with the same platform. I only have one 1911 right now, just picked it up last Sunday. It's a RIA Tactial 2011 model.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Vincelopez23 wrote: The only reason I'd get one in 9mm is mainly so that I could spend more time at the range with less expense, but still practice with the same platform. I only have one 1911 right now, just picked it up last Sunday. It's a RIA Tactial 2011 model.
Nice gun. I don't have one, but have heard good things. As far as ammo cost, lately I have switched to using either reman (Freedom / LAX) or generic "name" brand like American Eagle / WWB for plinking in all my guns. I can get .45 for 27 cpr new or 25 cpr reman, compared to 19-20 cpr for 9mm. Personally, it's not a big enough price difference to buy a new gun (not that I need much of an excuse for that). Then again, I probably average at least 500 rounds a month, so we are talking about an extra $35/month or $420 a year. Hmm, maybe I DO need another gun :fire

Topic author
Vincelopez23

Post by Vincelopez23 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Vincelopez23 wrote: The only reason I'd get one in 9mm is mainly so that I could spend more time at the range with less expense, but still practice with the same platform. I only have one 1911 right now, just picked it up last Sunday. It's a RIA Tactial 2011 model.
Nice gun. I don't have one, but have heard good things. As far as ammo cost, lately I have switched to using either reman (Freedom / LAX) or generic "name" brand like American Eagle / WWB for plinking in all my guns. I can get .45 for 27 cpr new or 25 cpr reman, compared to 19-20 cpr for 9mm. Personally, it's not a big enough price difference to buy a new gun (not that I need much of an excuse for that). Then again, I probably average at least 500 rounds a month, so we are talking about an extra $35/month or $420 a year. Hmm, maybe I DO need another gun :fire
I try not to go back and forth on needing a new gun, if I find one need, small or big, then I need a new one. No need to argue with myself over it. :mrgreen:

Teamless
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Teamless »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:

If you are not participating or included with the school activities, then carry on

Just like going to a zoo
If there is a school trip there which you are not part of, you are not prohibited from carrying
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Teamless wrote: ...
If you are not participating or included with the school activities, then carry on

Just like going to a zoo
If there is a school trip there which you are not part of, you are not prohibited from carrying

Unless the zoo is a school like the FW Zoo, or an amusement park, like the Dallas Zoo. :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

ScottDLS wrote:
Teamless wrote: ...

Just like going to a zoo

Unless the zoo is a school like the FW Zoo, or an amusement park, like the Dallas Zoo. :biggrinjester:
Or a bar. Or a daycare. Or whatever else the libtards can dream up.

But the OP said no signage, so he can be pretty sure they aren't trying any of that bull.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

I've never gotten this daycare thing. There's no mention of it anywhere in the law...?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”