Is carrying at a city park legal?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Is carrying at a city park legal?

Post by ScottDLS »

:iagree:

But remember if you are encouraging people to carry under MPA, LEOSA, or off-duty cops without a Texas LTC to be within 1000' of a school zone with an accessible gun, then you are violating Forum Rule 4...which prohibits promoting illegal activity. And all of the above IS illegal activity per the Federal Gun Free School Zones act. Federal felony with mandatory minimum. Think about that next time you drive with an accessible shotgun or other long gun.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skiprr »

Russell wrote:Are the dog parks posted pretty prominently that they are federal property? I just can't get on board with it being considered reasonable to expect an everyday Texan to go verify a park isn't federal property before carrying there.
Actually, I don't know; don't have a dog. ;-) I do know that the last time--about a year ago--I came west on the Terry Hershey Hike and Bike trail into ACOE land at George Bush Park, I actively looked for signage indicating I was crossing into federally-owned, gun-free land and I saw none.

The two ACOE areas closest to me are the very large Addicks and Barker reservoir plots. And it's no simple task to even find a map that demarcates the actual ACOE-owned land. And in many park areas, there are access points for motorized traffic, bicycle or non-motorized traffic, pedestrian traffic, or all of the above. If I have time next week, I may go poking around a bit at Bear Creek Park and take photos of any pertinent signage I find.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 3

Post by AJSully421 »

Russell wrote:Wow, the GFSZA is terrifying! https://gunowners.org/fs9611.htm

How the heck did the NRA ever let this piece of garbage pass?

Has anyone been bogusly charged under it?
Yep. Last I researched it, there have been several (maybe 10 or so) cases that have been appealed at various levels. Most have been upheld, only a few have been overturned. Those are just the ones that appealed.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

rm9792
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rm9792 »

G.A. Heath wrote:I have been unable to find my response from the Department of Family Services. Although I fear I may have occidentally deleted it, this thread has a similar response from CCL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=81781&p=1044297&hil ... s#p1044297

While signage is not required by rule for child care centers, they do have to provide effective notification or risk loosing their license.
Losing, not loosing. Whole different meaning.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ScottDLS »

AJSully421 wrote:

How the heck did the NRA ever let this piece of garbage pass?

Has anyone been bogusly charged under it?
Yep. Last I researched it, there have been several (maybe 10 or so) cases that have been appealed at various levels. Most have been upheld, only a few have been overturned. Those are just the ones that appealed.
None that I'm aware of for merely passing through a school zone with a weapon. The first version was thrown out as unconstitutional by SCOTUS for insufficient nexus to interstate commerce. The subsequent law was little changed and has only been prosecuted in concert with some other prohibited conduct. I suspect the Feds are not that anxious to test it in this context. Current SCOTUS would probably deadlock, but when Hillary wins, it will definitely be upheld. It's just another one of those laws that no one obeys and no one ever gets "called on" unless the government really wants to get you, in which case they WILL. :mad5
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

snorri
Posts in topic: 1

Post by snorri »

You can thank President Bush for that.
minatur innocentibus qui parcit nocentibus

RED FLAG LAWS ARE HATE CRIMES

Topic author
Vincelopez23
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Vincelopez23 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Vincelopez23 wrote:
Flightmare wrote:
Vincelopez23 wrote:
Flightmare wrote:
Vincelopez23 wrote:New here, so I apologize if this is the wrong section.

I received my license 2 days ago, and haven't had a chance to actually carry yet. But the wife and I regularly take our dogs to a local city dog park. I was wondering if anyone knew if it is legal to carry there given there are no signs posted? I appreciate any help or advice! :txflag:
A city park was the first place I was carrying. Went with my dad and brother to take my nieces and nephew to play. Kids never noticed what I had in my pocket.
Well I carry a full size 1911, slightly more noticeable I suppose :lol:
A full size 1911 is a bit larger than what I carry. Although I'm looking for a good shoulder rig for my Ruger SR1911. Something to wear under my coat during the winter.
I've always preferred full size guns, they're not always the most comfortable, but it's what I shoot best with, and that's what matters most to me. I'd really like to try a commander size 1911, possibly in 9mm.
I'd recommend trying one with a bobbed mainspring housing. I have 2 of those (V-bob and Guardian) and they are extremely easy to conceal. There is a great deal on a bobbed Kimber in the sale forum right now. It's a .45 though. The trade off of one extra round for a drop in caliber never made any sense to me, personally, so all my 1911's are chambered in .45.
I actually held the Sig Fastback Nightmare Carry at my LGS, I loveeeeeed the bobbed mainspring. It was super comfortable. The price tag however, not as comfortable :???:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”