Wal-Mart employee refused LTC as ID?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Wal-Mart employee refused LTC as ID?

Post by ScottDLS »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
Pawpaw wrote: It should take less than 1 second to determine if someone is under 21 by checking their drivers license or ID card.
>IF< the clerk is competent in basic mathematics. Many apparently are not.
OR presuming that the clerk knows the current date. ;-)
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
Pawpaw wrote: It should take less than 1 second to determine if someone is under 21 by checking their drivers license or ID card.
What mathematics are needed to see if the card is oriented horizontally or vertically?

Take another look at the pic I posted. ;-)
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

oh, you mean the remedial method. But 'horizontally' and 'vertically' have too many syllables. you need to refer to them as 'selfie' and 'landscape' modes. Those are terms the clerks will understand. :smilelol5:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

txyaloo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by txyaloo »

Pawpaw wrote:
JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
What mathematics are needed to see if the card is oriented horizontally or vertically?

You realize your example license expires 7 years after the guy turns 21. So he'd have a vertical license until he was 28. Orientation of the license and "under 21 until" on it doesn't mean the license owner is actually under 21.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

txyaloo wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
JustSomeOldGuy wrote:

You realize your example license expires 7 years after the guy turns 21. So he'd have a vertical license until he was 28. Orientation of the license and "under 21 until" on it doesn't mean the license owner is actually under 21.
True, but if the license or ID IS horizontal, the person is definitely over 21, which was the point.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 7

Post by bblhd672 »

Bottom line= Walmart employees generally make you want to :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

What I don't understand, and I mean no disrespect, is two things: (1) why is this a big deal? If she doesn't want to see the LTC, show her the TDL. This is such a small issue I am surprised that it bothers anyone. And (2) why are people showing their LTC as primary ID anyway? Is it a sort of showing off thing or something? What I mean is, unless you're open carrying, why not just show your TDL as a primary form of ID?

The other thing is, why not have a folding ID holder which you keep in your shirt pocket? That's what I use. It has my TDL on one side, and LTC on the other:
http://www.walletgear.com/hardy-double-id-wallet.html

This one is a lot more expensive than the one I have, but it looks the same. I'm sure a little google-fu will get you one cheaper than that.

DO I HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING FOR YOU GUYS? :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

Well I did ask if it was even a battle worth fighting. I suppose I am just a bit of an idealist, and it agitates me that I follow the law so meticulously for fear of "taking a ride" but others can get away with disregarding it. :???:

Also I was "lazy concealed" with my open button-down half covering my .45, so you could say I was indeed OC. :biggrinjester:
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

LucasMcCain
Posts in topic: 6

Post by LucasMcCain »

The Annoyed Man wrote: (2) why are people showing their LTC as primary ID anyway? Is it a sort of showing off thing or something? What I mean is, unless you're open carrying, why not just show your TDL as a primary form of ID?
I can only answer this question for myself; I don't claim to speak for everyone. Personally, I use my LTC as my primary ID so that people will see that I am a polite, friendly, decent person...who carries a gun. We talk quite a bit about being good ambassadors for gun enthusiasts, licensed carriers, and the pro-2A crowd. We can be nice all we want, but if nobody knows we're carrying, it doesn't make an impression on anyone. I know we tend to think that all of society is made up of pro-gun and anti-gun people, but that just hasn't been my experience. Many people really haven't thought about the issue, or they have and are still on the fence. The only way we can influence those people is if they know who we are. That is part of the reason I open carry most of the time, and it is why I show my LTC for ID. I have only been asked for my DL a couple of times when doing so, and have said "okay" and given it to them when it happened.

The last time I used my LTC for ID, the person I showed it to commented that he was looking for a place to take the class. He said his father bought him a gun, and said he could have it after he took the LTC class with him. He hadn't gotten around to it yet because he didn't know where to take it or how much it cost. He grew up shooting out in the country, and hadn't been to a range. I recommended a local range and even found him a groupon to help with the cost. I encouraged him to do it, and told him how neat it would be to get to take the class with his dad. He got excited about it and thanked me for the recommendation and the encouragement. This whole interaction never would have happened had I not used my LTC as ID. Because of it, there are a couple more people out there with their licenses.

If you want to keep it private that you carry, that's fine. I can understand that mindset. Just please don't think that the only reason someone would do otherwise is to show off. I just want people to see that gun owners and carriers are not all a bunch of nuts like the media portrays us, and give them the opportunity to open up a dialogue if they are so inclined. Sorry to write so much, but I didn't think you would mind. :tiphat:
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

LucasMcCain wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: (2) why are people showing their LTC as primary ID anyway? Is it a sort of showing off thing or something? What I mean is, unless you're open carrying, why not just show your TDL as a primary form of ID?
I can only answer this question for myself; I don't claim to speak for everyone. Personally, I use my LTC as my primary ID so that people will see that I am a polite, friendly, decent person...who carries a gun. We talk quite a bit about being good ambassadors for gun enthusiasts, licensed carriers, and the pro-2A crowd. We can be nice all we want, but if nobody knows we're carrying, it doesn't make an impression on anyone. I know we tend to think that all of society is made up of pro-gun and anti-gun people, but that just hasn't been my experience. Many people really haven't thought about the issue, or they have and are still on the fence. The only way we can influence those people is if they know who we are. That is part of the reason I open carry most of the time, and it is why I show my LTC for ID. I have only been asked for my DL a couple of times when doing so, and have said "okay" and given it to them when it happened.

The last time I used my LTC for ID, the person I showed it to commented that he was looking for a place to take the class. He said his father bought him a gun, and said he could have it after he took the LTC class with him. He hadn't gotten around to it yet because he didn't know where to take it or how much it cost. He grew up shooting out in the country, and hadn't been to a range. I recommended a local range and even found him a groupon to help with the cost. I encouraged him to do it, and told him how neat it would be to get to take the class with his dad. He got excited about it and thanked me for the recommendation and the encouragement. This whole interaction never would have happened had I not used my LTC as ID. Because of it, there are a couple more people out there with their licenses.

If you want to keep it private that you carry, that's fine. I can understand that mindset. Just please don't think that the only reason someone would do otherwise is to show off. I just want people to see that gun owners and carriers are not all a bunch of nuts like the media portrays us, and give them the opportunity to open up a dialogue if they are so inclined. Sorry to write so much, but I didn't think you would mind. :tiphat:
:iagree:
No one can discern my thoughts or motivations just by looking. Y'all carry your way and I will carry mine.

As with most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most.
:txflag:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”