Renaissance Festival 2016

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
striker55
Posts in topic: 5

Renaissance Festival 2016

Post by striker55 »

Has anyone gone this year, is it posted?

Glockster
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Renaissance Festival 2016

Post by Glockster »

striker55 wrote:Has anyone gone this year, is it posted?

Yes, it is posted with proper 30.06 and 30.07 signage at the one and only entrance. Sheriff does physical search of bags (most), and additional signage warns that any weapon or replica of a weapon must be secured in an appropriate case (in case you walk up with a steampunk "gun" or sword, etc.).

For what it is worth they have posted the last two prior years that I have gone.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

Topic author
striker55

Post by striker55 »

Glockster wrote:

Yes, it is posted with proper 30.06 and 30.07 signage at the one and only entrance. Sheriff does physical search of bags (most), and additional signage warns that any weapon or replica of a weapon must be secured in an appropriate case (in case you walk up with a steampunk "gun" or sword, etc.).

For what it is worth they have posted the last two prior years that I have gone.
Thank you, haven't been in years.

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

striker55 wrote:
Glockster wrote:

Thank you, haven't been in years.

I used to go with a now ex girlfriend. Took my fiancé this year and she has become hopelessly addicted to it so we have been every weekend!
NRA Life Member

LucasMcCain
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LucasMcCain »

This thread made me realize how long it's been since I went, since I didn't have my CHL last time I attended.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

rm9792
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rm9792 »

I carried mine past only because I was paranoid about leaving it in the car. Has anyone ever heard of any criminal issues there? Will leave in the car this year though, as it seems fairly safe. Don't guess thugs want to hassle people carrying actual swords.

goose

Post by goose »

rm9792 wrote:I carried mine past only because I was paranoid about leaving it in the car. Has anyone ever heard of any criminal issues there? Will leave in the car this year though, as it seems fairly safe. Don't guess thugs want to hassle people carrying actual swords.
Wow. My google foo and/or my memory are shot. Didn't an off-duty LEO have some firearms stolen out of his car in the last year or two? I can't find a thread here or a news article on the interwebz. Maybe I am just loosing it.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

goose wrote:
rm9792 wrote:I carried mine past only because I was paranoid about leaving it in the car. Has anyone ever heard of any criminal issues there? Will leave in the car this year though, as it seems fairly safe. Don't guess thugs want to hassle people carrying actual swords.
Wow. My google foo and/or my memory are shot. Didn't an off-duty LEO have some firearms stolen out of his car in the last year or two? I can't find a thread here or a news article on the interwebz. Maybe I am just loosing it.
http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=80757

Last year.

goose

Post by goose »

That was it. Thank you, sir! :tiphat:

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

I wouldn't go to that weirdo get together if you paid me, actually you couldn't pay me enough...and yes, I know whereof I speak as I went as a young guy, never, never again...

I prefer reality over fake, merry olde England.

Renaissance baloney!

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

goose wrote:
That was it. Thank you, sir! :tiphat:

I will say that possibly because of this, things have changed significantly. They rearranged the parking areas and have full time folks working out in them, and there are LE folks everywhere and you can assume that you will have your bag checked by an actual LEO most times. This year you will also run into LE ranging from Waller and Grimes County Sheriff to Navisota PD patrolling inside the fair. I myself don't carry a gun to an event where I know that I'd have to leave it locked up in my car, but will also say that I feel safer at RenFest than I do most other places. Having said that, IMO the one potential weakness is in that it would be fairly easy for some unauthorized to access the vendor area and for that reason anytime I am nearby one of those "hidden" entrances I do pay more attention to anyone entering.
NRA Life Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

The one time I went to the RF I went with a British friend.

He laughed at the sheer absurdity of the entire enterprise.

It's silly, but as an adult if that's your (ugh) thing, ah, okay...

How about this: Go to the beach, not the beach with commercial everything, but a real beach. Go to the forest. Hike in the mountains say at Big Bend National Park.

Do something real.

Or do you prefer some some sort of quasi-westworld?

Wimps...

goose

Post by goose »

Abraham wrote:The one time I went to the RF I went with a British friend.

How about this: Go to the beach, not the beach with commercial everything, but a real beach. Go to the forest. Hike in the mountains say at Big Bend National Park.

Do something real.

Wimps...
As opposed to all of the "gun guys" running around with operator gear on and zero or near zero military/tactical training. How many veterans shake their heads? Costumes and make believe occur plenty inside the 2A crowd. Why does entertainment have to be "real"? Why does a person attending RF suddenly make them a wimp? No self-respecting man would be seen at such a place, am I right? 52.2 weekends a year, they shall only be used for hiking or beach combing. But not a commercial beach.

It is okay to judge books by their cover if it involves tattoos, costumes, religions, or electronic games. I'll agree, if you will.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Abraham wrote:The one time I went to the RF I went with a British friend.

Do something real.

Wimps...
I am not a RF fan and went about 15 years ago. If that floats your boat go for it, I am not going to tell you how silly it is for you to do that. What is silly tho, is for someone to tell someone else "if you don't like what I like then you are silly" That's all I got to say about that, I think.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

" What is silly tho, is for someone to tell someone else "if you don't like what I like then you are silly"

Now, you're just being silly...

Yeah, I know, being a pointing, mocking, non-PC so and so, just irritates the bejabers out of some...

Yup, it's a tough world when some folks (me for instance) think adults dressing up like ye olde world (that never was) and prance about looking ludicrous while pretending they're in a play is mock-worthy...and if you're one who does this and I make fun, have I popped your bubble of silly?

C'mon, you probably wouldn't be so sensitive if you didn't already hope you'd not be laughed at...you know you're being silly, but ok, you poor little thing, I won't laugh at you, I promise I won't laugh at you, alright I will laugh at you....bwahahahahahahaha! ok, ok, you look mah-veh-ouls! Snicker, chortle, snicker...

Now, if I'm gonna dress up like a 12 year old wanna be thespian, I'm gonna be Zorg, Emperor of the Multi-Verse and don't you cough, cough, sniffle, make sport of me...I'm Zorg, no fair laughing, no fair!!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”