No
77%

Total votes: 83

Topic author
Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 2

Poll - Do you carry a BUG?

Post by Lynyrd »

I've been thinking about back up guns, and I wondered how many of us actually carry one?
Do what you say you're gonna do.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Poll - Do you carry a BUG?

Post by carlson1 »

I used to carry two pistols 100% of time. I do on occasions still carry a second. It all depends on where I am going. My second has always been a J-Frame .38.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I carried a BUG for a while but the Doctor finally gave me the medicine to get rid of it. :biggrinjester:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

About half the time I do. I own four SP101s, and when I'm doubling up it's the 3" DA/SA and the 2" DAO. Same platform, same ammunition, same trigger, same sights, and multiple, interchangeable holsters.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I answered yes. However, it is not carried all of the time.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I answered no because I don't carry two guns on my person. I do, however usually have a shotgun in my truck. When I was a LEO, I carried a snub nose 38 in an ankle holster when working evening and night shifts.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Jusme wrote:I answered no because I don't carry two guns on my person. I do, however usually have a shotgun in my truck. When I was a LEO, I carried a snub nose 38 in an ankle holster when working evening and night shifts.
So you only carried a back up when you were LEO, but not now. This kind of goes along with the discussion I was having with some friends the other day. Is there really any need for us to have a BUG?
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Lynyrd wrote:
Jusme wrote:I answered no because I don't carry two guns on my person. I do, however usually have a shotgun in my truck. When I was a LEO, I carried a snub nose 38 in an ankle holster when working evening and night shifts.
So you only carried a back up when you were LEO, but not now. This kind of goes along with the discussion I was having with some friends the other day. Is there really any need for us to have a BUG?

I only carried it when working nights or evenings. It was real hassle, especially if I had to run with it. I never needed it, but at the time I thought it was a good idea. With my Full size M&P holding 18 rounds and 2, 17 round mags, I feel like I am sufficiently armed. I have never heard of a LTC holder needing a BUG, and very few LEOs have ever had to use one. It's like most things, everyone will have to make their own decisions, depending on their particular circumstances.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

I did as an LEO when I didn't have the option to walk away from trouble.

I no longer carry a BUG because I avoid going to places where that would be likely to be needed.

Yes, I know trouble can happen anywhere, but my confidence in my ability to see it coming and to handle the worst case scenario with one high quality gun outweighs my willingness to put up with the hassles of carrying another one.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Roger Howard

Post by Roger Howard »

My answer was no. I have done it, but only on special occasions. The last time I carried a BUG was during the IKE evacuation. I had several firearms during that and the Rita evacuation. Both times I had two pistols, tactical shotgun and one of those evil black rifles.
If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I have a little North American .22 magnum, a ridiculous little gun but well-made. A long time ago in a gun law environment far far away I carried it as a second gun, but I always thought of it sort of between a noisemaker and a remote control knife. A gun, with four big rules fully intact, but not heavy armor. More of a nod to old single action handgun design than a personal security plan.

I always carry a spare magazine, though, even when I have my higher capacity P320 at hand. Its 12 round magazines are a felony in California. I'm not in California. I carry a spare west coast felony just to feel like I'm on the right side of California's answer to public safety. :mrgreen:

Naturally, if in California I would obey all their laws, spending as few tourist dollars as possible, on the shortest path to the Arizona border I could find.

I think the biggest reason I don't carry it any more is I prefer more ammo and there's too much in my pockets. It's a crummy, crummy thing one is thought to be a buffoon for wearing a waist pouch. They seem like practical things to me.

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

I have before, but very rarely. Usually my EDC is my BUG when hunting. :lol:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

I typically carry a pocket pistol so many would say that my main carry is only a BUG...

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jusme wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:
So you only carried a back up when you were LEO, but not now. This kind of goes along with the discussion I was having with some friends the other day. Is there really any need for us to have a BUG?[/quote
I only carried it when working nights or evenings. It was real hassle, especially if I had to run with it. I never needed it, but at the time I thought it was a good idea. With my Full size M&P holding 18 rounds and 2, 17 round mags, I feel like I am sufficiently armed. I have never heard of a LTC holder needing a BUG, and very few LEOs have ever had to use one. It's like most things, everyone will have to make their own decisions, depending on their particular circumstances.
I have carried a BUG, but not for very a long time, so I voted "no" for the purposes of the poll. My BUG was/is (in the event I were to start carrying one again) a j-frame scandium .357, for which I have belt, pocket, and ankle holsters.

The reasons I carried one were two-fold:
  1. carring in places that a backup could be necessary; and
  2. carrying a firearm of lower capacity magazines (a 1911).
The reasons I stopped carring one are two-fold:
  1. I avoid times/places where a backup could be necessary; and
  2. I started carrying Glocks.
My snubbie BUG became a "throw it in a pocket" gun for quick trips to the mailbox or across the street or next door to a neighbor's house. I added a G43 to the stable for times when I want the deeper concealment of a BUG, but also want the quicker reloads of a magazine fed gun with similar ergonomics and manual of arms to my regular carry guns. And these days, since the G43 throws into a pocket about as easily as the snubbie, I tend to use it in that role too, so I rarely ever use the snubbie any more. The .357 is LOUD, and it can be a real handful with the wrong ammo in it. OTH, the G43 is relatively easy to shoot — easier that the snobby with even .38 special instead of .357 in it — and it has more rounds on board, and a faster reload. So even if I did carry a BUG, these days it would most likely be the G43 rather than the snubbie. Here is my experience with shooting too hot of a load in the snubbie (this is always good for a little entertainment).
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Always. My primary Glock 26 has a BUG Glock 26. They like to travel in pairs.

Well, when I go fishing/kayaking/float tubing the BUG is a .38 revolver with CCI snakeshot instead of the other 26

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”