ID required with CHL/LTC for handgun purchases?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 3

Re: ID required with CHL/LTC for handgun purchases?

Post by warnmar10 »

Keith B wrote:Probably just a method of seeing a 2nd ID to make sure the CHL is really your's. I know it has a photo on it, but my picture looks terrible and you might not be able to tell it's really me since I am so good looking in person... :biggrinjester:
My LTC and driver's license have the same picture. What does providing both prove?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

warnmar10 wrote:
Keith B wrote:Probably just a method of seeing a 2nd ID to make sure the CHL is really your's. I know it has a photo on it, but my picture looks terrible and you might not be able to tell it's really me since I am so good looking in person... :biggrinjester:
My LTC and driver's license have the same picture. What does providing both prove?
Mine are different. They still use the original from my 1st one. Wish they would change it to my last DL photo; it is much better than the one taken in class after we shot at the range in 105 degree heat!!
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

Keith B wrote:
warnmar10 wrote:
Mine are different. They still use the original from my 1st one. Wish they would change it to my last DL photo; it is much better than the one taken in class after we shot at the range in 105 degree heat!!
They changed it to my DL picture only this year when I renewed in June. I don't think I sent a new one in since they stopped doing renewal classes...2006? I dunno, had my license since 1996.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

ScottDLS wrote:
Keith B wrote:
warnmar10 wrote:
They changed it to my DL picture only this year when I renewed in June. I don't think I sent a new one in since they stopped doing renewal classes...2006? I dunno, had my license since 1996.
I have my renewal in currently. Will see what they do with it.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

ScottDLS wrote:... I dunno, had my license since 1996.
I suppose when the last of the CHL permits get replaced with LTC permits the conscientious FFL will have to require a third picture ID to make sure the other two are legit.

Topic author
SkyWipe

Post by SkyWipe »

greenbeer wrote:My assumption on their wanting both is that Texas will issue out of state residents an LTC. Nowni don't know if a non resident license says non resident or not. But a dealer may be concerned over that. With that said I've only ever presented my LTC And have never had an issue
My LTC has a Texas address on it.

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OldCannon »

Now that the LTC is an accepted ID, I'm glad to use it in both locations on the 4473.

Not every FFL follows this, nor are they required by any federal law to exclusively use a driver's license. You're welcome to argue the point with the dealer/employee and show the ATF guidance (here: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-[abbreviated profanity deleted] ... ee-firearm ), but in the end, the dealers form their own policies of acceptable IDs, and those policies are generally driven out of fear (real or imagined) of the kind of scrutiny the ATF will give on a dealer's records. I've been through two top-to-bottom inspections, one recently. Based on my discussions with him, I have no doubt that he would consider the LTC to be valid identification.

My recommendation: If the dealer asks for a driver's license, politely tell him/her that a LTC is valid ID. If they balk at that, then you have two choices, terminate the purchase or give them your DL. Arguing with them is a pretty fast way to not get your firearm, because in the end, the FFL is the gatekeeper of the transfer.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

warnmar10 wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:... I dunno, had my license since 1996.
I suppose when the last of the CHL permits get replaced with LTC permits the conscientious FFL will have to require a third picture ID to make sure the other two are legit.
This thought had occurred to me during a recent purchase, given that my LTC is essentially a carbon copy of my DL (same photo - glad it's one I actually like, unlike my prev. DL photo....).
Am I going to have to go get a passport, in order to purchase.....?
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

PBratton,

We're not on the same page.

I don't quibble over showing both my DL and my LTC. Doing so is no big deal for me...as you point out it's your butt on the line.

What I got from the "tone" of the OP's post was the retailer had something of an attitude.

If I get that from a retailer, it's his loss when I politely say "bye" and walk away from a sale he could've made.

I do not expect him to butter me up either.

I'll show him respect and I expect it in return. If I get an arrogant vibe, it's my money and it'll go with me if he acts difficult.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

AndyC wrote:You all are lucky - I get to show my Legal Alien card each time, too ;)
Just don't forget to bring it when you vote.... :smilelol5:

(YES, I'm joking).
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

Teamless wrote:
PBratton wrote:
Not necessarily, I ask for both during my transfers. It has shown the ATF that I am trying to completely ID my Customers. If you were to object to giving me both, I would simply ask for your Driver License and then run you through ENICS.

As a dealer, it's my butt on the line with the ATF, not yours.
But, with 'just' the CHL/LTC, aren't you still following the law?
If so, why do you need to 'prove' anything else to ATF?

I'll state it again, "As a dealer, it's my butt on the line with the ATF, not yours."
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

OldCannon wrote:Now that the LTC is an accepted ID, I'm glad to use it in both locations on the 4473.

Not every FFL follows this, nor are they required by any federal law to exclusively use a driver's license. You're welcome to argue the point with the dealer/employee and show the ATF guidance (here: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-[abbreviated profanity deleted] ... ee-firearm ), but in the end, the dealers form their own policies of acceptable IDs, and those policies are generally driven out of fear (real or imagined) of the kind of scrutiny the ATF will give on a dealer's records. I've been through two top-to-bottom inspections, one recently. Based on my discussions with him, I have no doubt that he would consider the LTC to be valid identification.

My recommendation: If the dealer asks for a driver's license, politely tell him/her that a LTC is valid ID. If they balk at that, then you have two choices, terminate the purchase or give them your DL. Arguing with them is a pretty fast way to not get your firearm, because in the end, the FFL is the gatekeeper of the transfer.
:iagree: The last gun I bought I only gave them my CHL. The clerk asked if I had my DL. I said yes, but my DL# is on my CHL. He said he just needed to look at it to verify my CHL :confused5 . I didn't haggle with him, just showed it to him and he went on about the process. No biggie.
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Both everytime. I never even thought about it until your post. Even on the many, many transfers I've done.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”