OC or CC on city owned baseball/soccer fields?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Joey
Posts in topic: 3

OC or CC on city owned baseball/soccer fields?

Post by Joey »

I know it's only against the law if the games are a school sponsored event and I know that the games I'm attending aren't school sponsored, but how am I suppose to know if the game on the field next to me are school sponsored? I'm a firm believer in not supporting businesses that don't support my right to protect myself and my family, but when thinking about this I figured I just wouldn't carry when I'm at sporting events, but the more I think about it the more I don't like the thought of being anywhere that fanatical people are that might do something crazy and not being able to protect myself or my family.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Re: OC or CC on city owned baseball/soccer fields?

Post by ScottDLS »

Joey wrote:I know it's only against the law if the games are a school sponsored event and I know that the games I'm attending aren't school sponsored, but how am I suppose to know if the game on the field next to me are school sponsored? I'm a firm believer in not supporting businesses that don't support my right to protect myself and my family, but when thinking about this I figured I just wouldn't carry when I'm at sporting events, but the more I think about it the more I don't like the thought of being anywhere that fanatical people are that might do something crazy and not being able to protect myself or my family.
I guess you could say the field/bleachers where YOUR EVENT was taking place was NOT...
(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed or carried in a shoulder or belt holster, on or about the license holder’s person:
(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

Joey wrote:I know it's only against the law if the games are a school sponsored event and I know that the games I'm attending aren't school sponsored, but how am I suppose to know if the game on the field next to me are school sponsored? I'm a firm believer in not supporting businesses that don't support my right to protect myself and my family, but when thinking about this I figured I just wouldn't carry when I'm at sporting events, but the more I think about it the more I don't like the thought of being anywhere that fanatical people are that might do something crazy and not being able to protect myself or my family.
My wife also says, "really babe" when she can feel my gun when we take our children to their baseball/soccer games. These are not school sponsored events, but I do feel more so on edge when I carry there. I have somewhat the same concerns you do, best advice I can give you to look up the location you are going to be at to make sure it is state owned.

Concealed means concealed
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Topic author
Joey

Post by Joey »

State owned or city owned? Does it matter? I'm not sure but i think the city owns the land and they lease it to a sports agency and the city gets a cut of the profits.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

If it's not government owned, then they would have to post signs or otherwise notify you to restrict carry. As long as the game you are going to is not school sponsored, I can't imagine there would be any problem. I have carried in that specific circumstance. Just make sure if there are multiple fields that you don't cross them to get to yours if you suspect they may be school games. Other than that, carry on! Whether it would be wise to open carry is a judgment call you will have to make as you know the other people involved.

Also, welcome to the forums!
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

You are watching a parade in downtown Austin, several of the bands marching are school bands, everyone else in the parade is not associated with a school. The bands are school sponsored events, but the schools have no control over the parade route as it is not school property. The schools have no authority over any of the people at the parade except band members, chaperones, sponsors, teachers, or administrators which are part of the sponsored event. If you are not a band member, chaperone, sponsor, teacher, or administrator of one of the associated schools for that particular event, you do not fall under any of the school laws or rules. Carry away, and as long is it is not college property it is irrelevant whether you open or conceal carry.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I have been threatened with violence on several occasions while watching my daughters play soccer. Once when my kid was playing in an under 7 league where they didn't even keep score. Some soccer parents are completely unstable at those games, and that is one place where I definitely would not feel comfortable being unarmed.

Topic author
Joey

Post by Joey »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I have been threatened with violence on several occasions while watching my daughters play soccer. Once when my kid was playing in an under 7 league where they didn't even keep score. Some soccer parents are completely unstable at those games, and that is one place where I definitely would not feel comfortable being unarmed.
Name checks out... :lol:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”