Adding to our numbers

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Adding to our numbers

Post by Jusme »

I stopped in to a local convenience store yesterday afternoon, to purchase a can of future lip cancer, and some cool refreshing adult malt beverages. I was CC because my shirt was untucked, though i normally OC.
The owner greeted me and asked what I carried, he said he had never seen me without my gun. I told him I carried a S&W M&P. And raised my shirt to show him.
He said he was going to buy a semi auto to carry, he said he kept a revolver in his car, and under the counter, but was going to get his LTC to be able to carry everywhere. We had a great discussion about different guns, and I told him I would go with him to buy his gun if he wanted company. I gave him my phone number and he said he would call me today when he was going to the gun store.
We also talked about obtaining LTC, gun ranges nearby, etc.
It's always good to add more LTC holders to our numbers, plus I get an excuse to shop for guns (like I need one)
I'll direct him to this forum also.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Adding to our numbers

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Jusme wrote:I stopped in to a local convenience store yesterday afternoon, to purchase a can of future lip cancer, and some cool refreshing adult malt beverages. I was CC because my shirt was untucked, though i normally OC.
The owner greeted me and asked what I carried, he said he had never seen me without my gun. I told him I carried a S&W M&P. And raised my shirt to show him.
He said he was going to buy a semi auto to carry, he said he kept a revolver in his car, and under the counter, but was going to get his LTC to be able to carry everywhere. We had a great discussion about different guns, and I told him I would go with him to buy his gun if he wanted company. I gave him my phone number and he said he would call me today when he was going to the gun store.
We also talked about obtaining LTC, gun ranges nearby, etc.
It's always good to add more LTC holders to our numbers, plus I get an excuse to shop for guns (like I need one)
I'll direct him to this forum also.

I just took a 70 year old retired neighbor to the range for the first time, helped him select a pistol, got him enrolled in an LTC class and also signed up for his first tactical pistol training. He is struggling but very happy with his new found skills. Working on a few colleagues in the office now... :fire
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

flechero

Post by flechero »

Nice going! (except the snuff... 25 yr dipper finally quit a few years ago!)

My favorite convenience store recently posted .06/.07 :banghead: So I have been purposely friending the owner and his wife so I can have the discussion with them. I'm hoping a personal discussion will go further than a letter with a name they don't recognize.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Nice to read some good news.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

I think having to decide on your edc perplexes many people. Everyone if different and controls the handgun differently. I always tell them to visit a range that rents handguns, that way you can try and see what you like first! Possibly even try it a few different days so that you are 100% sure before purchasing.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

TreyHouston wrote:I think having to decide on your edc perplexes many people. Everyone if different and controls the handgun differently. I always tell them to visit a range that rents handguns, that way you can try and see what you like first! Possibly even try it a few different days so that you are 100% sure before purchasing.
It absolutely can. It kept me from "getting around" to getting a CHL from the very beginning until I jumped on board in 2009. I knew I wanted to qualify with a semi-auto, and all I had was my Gold Cup...which I knew I didn't want to carry every day. I wasn't satisfied with the "noisy crickets" available in smaller autos in those days (Mostly .25, .32, and .380s, and more of them junk than not).

So that led me to .38's. And if I was going to carry a .38, I was going to get it in a .357 version, like all my other wheelguns -- just to make sure there were never any big mistakes with ammo.

At the time, the j-frame wasn't available in .357 (or was REALLY hard to find), which led me into the 586/686 2". Again, not easy to find, and not cheap.

Sooo...I'd walk away from the gun shop thinking I still had decisions to make, and money to save up...

And I still hadn't figured out anything about "how" to carry -- I grew up around 6" revolvers and Government sized 1911's. "You cant carry something that big concealed" was the general consensus. (clearly wrong, but I digress)

It never occurred to me that I could just get my CHL, and decide later what/how to carry. Analysis paralysis kept me from going forward for nearly 15 years.

Which is why I so adamantly encourage anyone who's on the fence to "just do it" and sort out the details later.

So yes, I agree that it can be very easy to get lost in the final decision and never get around to the first step.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Topic author
Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

Quick update, the joys of owning your own business, his clerk called in sick, so he wasn't able to get away and go to the gun store. He will try again Wednesday afternoon. If I am freed up I'll go with him.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”