Posts in topic: 4

Gun carrier robbed an had his gun stolen

Post by Doug.38PR »

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun carrier robbed an had his gun stolen

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Stay alert - stay alive.

I think we need more details to make any definitive conclusions here, but a general lesson might be to maintain good SA, especially if you are alone and are dealing with unknown individuals at 2:30 AM. It doesn't seem like him having a gun played any factor here. The result would have been the same if he was unarmed.

Overall, not a very bad outcome though. The guy lost some of his stuff, which is probably covered in large part by insurance and it sounds like he was unharmed. It could have been much worse.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

Doug.38PR wrote:What can we learn?
Carry a backup where they're not likely to find it.

flechero

Post by flechero »

That Mom and Dad were right all along.... nothing good happens after 2:00am!!

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

That guns don't magically protect us from being the victims of criminals.

That we should always be aware of our surroundings.

That if you get the feeling something is "off" about a situation, you should get out of there if it's an option.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Don't be in a line of business that requires you to be conducting business at 2:30am in Monroe, LA? I grew up in that town, it's a smaller scale of the larger Democrat controlled cities that have become dangerous places to be in a lot of areas during daylight and most places after dark.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

cirus

Post by cirus »

Was he open carrying? If so this is a good example why not to. They might not take your gun if they don't know you have it.

Topic author
Doug.38PR

Post by Doug.38PR »

bblhd672 wrote:
Don't be in a line of business that requires you to be conducting business at 2:30am in Monroe, LA? I grew up in that town, it's a smaller scale of the larger Democrat controlled cities that have become dangerous places to be in a lot of areas during daylight and most places after dark.
That's why all the good people are moving to Sterlington, Swartz, Start, Calhoun and West Monroe. Leaving Monroe to rot. I moved from Houston to Morehouse Parish 7 years ago. It's parish seat Bastrop, as you probably know too, is like a mini Monroe in terms of being a Democrat controlled city. All very sad to see as my three generations of my family grew up and have roots in Bastrop and know Monroe and Bastrop well. Used to be very nice places to live. So nice that you could leave your doors not only unlocked but open with the screen door to keep bugs out. Now, you need all doors locked, an alarm, a gun on your bedside and everybody wants a street light in their yard, even in the country.

Topic author
Doug.38PR

Post by Doug.38PR »

cirus wrote:Was he open carrying? If so this is a good example why not to. They might not take your gun if they don't know you have it.
We don't know that he was open carrying. (although Louisiana is technically an open carry state). It could just as easily have gone the other way, the sight of a gun could deter a criminal from attempting an act knowing is life would be at risk. Open carry has it's downsides but so does concealed carry. There are tradeoffs to both and it's a matter of using good judgment as to which one you should use in any given circumstance.

Topic author
Doug.38PR

Post by Doug.38PR »

I wouldn't be going somewhere at 2:30 am in a known bad neighborhood...but if I HAD to. I would be SUPER alert as to what as around me and ready with gun in reach at a split second's notice. And I would avoid going alone. Calling a policeman to the scene of assistance to monitor things while you help someone might be a good idea.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Doug.38PR wrote:
What can we learn?

That guns don't magically protect us from being the victims of criminals.

That we should always be aware of our surroundings.

That if you get the feeling something is "off" about a situation, you should get out of there if it's an option.
:iagree:

Also, after-hours calls for locksmiths just might involve some risks.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

Doug.38PR wrote:I wouldn't be going somewhere at 2:30 am in a known bad neighborhood...but if I HAD to. I would be SUPER alert as to what as around me and ready with gun in reach at a split second's notice. And I would avoid going alone. Calling a policeman to the scene of assistance to monitor things while you help someone might be a good idea.
:iagree:
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”