Campus Carry with Arizona permit?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Janfoo
Posts in topic: 5

Campus Carry with Arizona permit?

Post by Janfoo »

Hello, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum or if I shouldn't do this as a first post, but I thought you guys might be able to help me out with something.

I'm a Texas resident carrying on a non-resident Arizona permit that I recently obtained. I know this means I'm not exempt from the Gun Free School Zone Act, but that has me wondering...what about college campus carry then? I'm a student at a 2 year college so this wouldn't affect me until August of next year, but I would still like to know if I will be okay once the time comes?

Also, (bonus question) the law about open carry states it has to be in a "shoulder or belt holster", so does that mean a belly band holster technically wouldn't be allowed for open carry if I untucked my shirt, even with it in my jeans as a normal holster would be? I know belly bands get a bad rap, but I like how versatile and comfortable they can be.

Anyway, I know these are probably stupid questions, but if there is one thing I have learned with regards to carrying, details matter! I hope I'm not being a pest in asking this.

Thanks for reading.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Campus Carry with Arizona permit?

Post by Keith B »

Welcome to the forum. :tiphat:

The Gun Free School Zone Act only applies to elementary and secondary educational institutions
Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(26) the term "school" means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law.

Colleges per Texas education code are post-secondary or 'higher education' institutions.

It also has an exemption if:
[18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(2)(A)] does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
In this case, I would say the program would be the approved campus carry policy, so you would be exempt.

GFSZA is usually not pulled onto play unless you are breaking a state or local law, so since you are legal, they wouldn't be looking for that anyway normally.

As for the belly band, it would not be legal; must be attached to the belt.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Janfoo

Post by Janfoo »

Thanks for the reply, very useful information! I'm glad to join the forum, I'm new to carrying and I'm just trying to do it right and be sensible about it. I'll be sure not to open carry with my belly band.

:tiphat:

bjrichus

Post by bjrichus »

I take advantage of campus carry to bring my personal defense weapon to my employer (a university in North Texas).

Do remember that each university has its own policy in this matter. I feel that at least at mine, the policy is designed to clarify the law with respect to the specifics of the institution involved.

Most of the policy statements are about setting out the very few buildings or facilities indeed that are excluded from carry, so you cannot enter them with a weapon and STAY WITHIN THE POLICY. This is important for us as at many of these, you can just walk in from the street without any security checks (except a ticket to get into a football game for example) and if your handgun is properly concealed, and if you never have an accidental discharge or have to use the weapon in defense, who would know you have a weapon with you? The responsibility is on YOU as there are usually repercussions (immediate exclusion from the university) if you do carry where the policy prohibits it and are discovered (see previous sentence). In addition to screwing yourself, you do no good to the the rest of us in the law abiding gun community if you do break the policy. None of us want to see anything like that.

Most of the policies are to do with sporting events (some very strict policies about these), or where alcohol is present as well as about storage in dorm rooms and such. We also do some research work for certain agencies too and carry in the labs and clean rooms and access rooms used for these things is prohibited. No exceptions. By the way, open carry is also prohibited anywhere on campus. Simple as that. Concealed only where it is allowed unless you are a police officer, who are for what I'd have thought are obvious reasons, excluded from these policies/rules/laws.

Check out your particular college web site (perhaps you'll have to search for "Campus Carry"?) just to make sure that as a licensed to carry resident you are not carrying outside of the law and local rules that are in force. Ours is on a web page done by the Presidents office and with Risk Management Department and Police input if you need to track it down.

I fully agree that for your own protection should the worst happen, being mindful of the reciprocity agreement between AZ and TX, is a good thing and good for you asking about it.

Usual disclaimer; I am just a citizen with an LTC permit, not a lawyer etc, etc.

Topic author
Janfoo

Post by Janfoo »

This is all useful information and I appreciate your input.

I am aware of there being no open carry on campus, thanks for pointing it out just in case. My college (junior college) still has 30.06 and 30.07 posted on every building since the campus carry law won't go into effect for us until next August, so I guess until then I'll lock it in my car.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you don't just get yourself a Texas LTC? It would eliminate any concerns you might have about carrying on a nonresident out of state license.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Janfoo

Post by Janfoo »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Out of curiosity, is there a reason you don't just get yourself a Texas LTC? It would eliminate any concerns you might have about carrying on a nonresident out of state license.
To be honest it was because of the price difference coupled with the fact that I had taken the NRA Basic Pistol class a long time ago just to improve my accuracy, and it happens to satisfy their range requirement. So being the broke college student I am... I chose to pay $60 to Arizona instead of ~$100 for a LTC class and then $140 (I think) fee to Texas. I plan on getting a Texas license when I have the money and time.

I was also under the impression that turnaround time for a permit from AZ was faster, but I don't think that turned out to be true. Lol.

sheary

Post by sheary »

Janfoo wrote:Also, (bonus question) the law about open carry states it has to be in a "shoulder or belt holster", so does that mean a belly band holster technically wouldn't be allowed for open carry if I untucked my shirt, even with it in my jeans as a normal holster would be? I know belly bands get a bad rap, but I like how versatile and comfortable they can be.
If the shirt is long enough to tuck into your pants, the belly band should still be concealed if the shirt is untucked. Assuming you don't wear the belly band Madonna-style. :biggrinjester:

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Janfoo wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Out of curiosity, is there a reason you don't just get yourself a Texas LTC? It would eliminate any concerns you might have about carrying on a nonresident out of state license.
To be honest it was because of the price difference coupled with the fact that I had taken the NRA Basic Pistol class a long time ago just to improve my accuracy, and it happens to satisfy their range requirement. So being the broke college student I am... I chose to pay $60 to Arizona instead of ~$100 for a LTC class and then $140 (I think) fee to Texas. I plan on getting a Texas license when I have the money and time.

I was also under the impression that turnaround time for a permit from AZ was faster, but I don't think that turned out to be true. Lol.
You'll be pleased to know that the Lt. Governor is proposing a bill in the 2017 Texas Legislative session to eliminate the fee for LTC. So now you would only need to pay the 4 hours for the class. There are some Groupon deals out there and some gun shops throw in the class for free when you buy a gun.... yeah I know if you had the money to buy a gun you'd get the LTC anyway... :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
Janfoo

Post by Janfoo »

sheary wrote:
Janfoo wrote:Also, (bonus question) the law about open carry states it has to be in a "shoulder or belt holster", so does that mean a belly band holster technically wouldn't be allowed for open carry if I untucked my shirt, even with it in my jeans as a normal holster would be? I know belly bands get a bad rap, but I like how versatile and comfortable they can be.
If the shirt is long enough to tuck into your pants, the belly band should still be concealed if the shirt is untucked. Assuming you don't wear the belly band Madonna-style. :biggrinjester:

Sorry, that was a typo. I meant to say tucked, not untucked. I'm worried about my shirt tucking underneath the grip without me noticing.

To the next commentor, I haven't heard of the proposed bill to eliminate the fees. That's pretty awesome!
:biggrinjester:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”