Welcome sign at Academy in Benbrook

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tk1700
Posts in topic: 1

Welcome sign at Academy in Benbrook

Post by tk1700 »

I've been in the Academy Sports in Benbrook many times over the past several years. Last week I noticed a new to me sign on the sliding doors:

"Customers may carry a handgun openly or concealed on their person as law permits"

Needless to say I was very pleased to see this. I'm not sure if it's new or if its old and I have just missed seeing it. I wonder if other Academy stores have the same sign? I will definitely look and keep going back to Academy!

Tried to post pic but didn't work.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Re: Welcome sign at Academy in Benbrook

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Yep, every academy I've ever been to has that. Gander Mountain has a similar one, and I think cabelas does too. :thumbs2:
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

hovercat
Posts in topic: 2

Post by hovercat »

Wouldn't that include everyone legally able to own a firearm? Private property given permission?

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

hovercat wrote:Wouldn't that include everyone legally able to own a firearm? Private property given permission?
No. Private property owners can't give permission to someone to break the law.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

tk1700 wrote:I've been in the Academy Sports in Benbrook many times over the past several years. Last week I noticed a new to me sign on the sliding doors:

"Customers may carry a handgun openly or concealed on their person as law permits"

Needless to say I was very pleased to see this. I'm not sure if it's new or if its old and I have just missed seeing it. I wonder if other Academy stores have the same sign? I will definitely look and keep going back to Academy!

The Academy in Grapevine didn't have this sign when I was there a couple of days ago. On the other hand, they didn't have any signs saying no carry either, so.......
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

hovercat
Posts in topic: 2

Post by hovercat »

mojo84 wrote:
hovercat wrote:Wouldn't that include everyone legally able to own a firearm? Private property given permission?
No. Private property owners can't give permission to someone to break the law.
I know that the lines are fuzzy,Academy being a private property that is open to public. I believe that I can grant someone permission to carry on my property, license or not. This would end at the property line, of course.
Would the Academy permission allow an unlicensed someone to carry into the store? Of course, they would need to disarm before leaving the property. Not a lawyer, just wondering.

KLB

Post by KLB »

koine2002 wrote:
That's a question for corporate. However, I'd speculate that it's a generic sign that is at Academy in every state. The phrase "as law permits" would, in my opinion, be making reference to carrying in accordance to the laws of the state in which the store exists. That would mean that, in Texas, those who have an LTC are free to carry openly or concealed. However, I could be wrong.
I have at least implicitly given permission to others to carry openly on my rural land. We've walked around with guns on our hips and shot at targets (and been prepared to shoot at snakes). So I suppose property owners can permit someone to do something that, without permission, would violate the law.

But the question remains what permission is granted by the sign. I think a reasonable person would interpret it as a welcoming gesture aimed at handgun licensees. To stretch it beyond that is pushing your luck.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

It's illegal to carry a handgun on or about your person without a license, except on your property or property under your control. Or when engaging in a sporting activity where a handgun is commonly used. So you can't carry at Academy without a LTC, or some other exception from PC 46.15.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

rotor

Post by rotor »

Atwoods Wichita Falls has a similar welcome carry sign. Also some pretty good gun deals.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

It would seem to allow the carry of long guns, however. Not sure if that is their intention.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

budroux2w

Post by budroux2w »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
tk1700 wrote:I've been in the Academy Sports in Benbrook many times over the past several years. Last week I noticed a new to me sign on the sliding doors:

The Academy in Grapevine didn't have this sign when I was there a couple of days ago. On the other hand, they didn't have any signs saying no carry either, so.......
I haven't looked the past few times I went but a few months ago they had a very small sign similar to what the OP mentioned on the outside glass door.
NRA Life Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”