CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TABC inspector strong arming business

Post by jason812 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Mxrdad wrote:
addison_bryant wrote:Not a bad idea. I'll ask the next time I'm in another store.

As for this one, after I deliver the TABC response we will see if he takes down the signs. He knows he doesn't have to have them by his own admission just said he was scared of the inspector. Either way, if he doesn't take down the signs it will be my last visit, TABC fault or not.
OK now, don't go developing a serious drinking problem claiming its "journalism". LOL. :smilelol5: JK. I forgot to mention nice letter.
That made me think of an idea. I wonder if certain adult targeted artistic dancing venues in my area are being similarly pressured. I may have to go on a few scouting missions to verify.
If you need help with your missions, I'm sure there will be plenty of volunteers to go along with you. You know, strength in numbers.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Topic author
addison_bryant
Posts in topic: 7

Post by addison_bryant »

TABC response - Just as I thought it would read. But at least I can take this to the owner and if he keeps the signs up, shame on him.

Hello Addison,

There is no TABC policy or practice requiring any business owner to post a 30.06 or 30.07 sign. As an off-premise location (meaning alcohol is sold for customers to consume elsewhere), a liquor store would only be required to post the blue Handgun Warning Sign, which states that unlicensed possession of a weapon on the premises is a felony (meaning that licensed handgun owners can bring their weapons onto the premises).

TABC does not regulate nor advise on the posting of 30.06 and 30.07 signs. Businesses may optionally post those signs if the permit holder wishes, but they would not be required to do so by this agency.

If the business owner feels a TABC employee violated this policy, please ask him to contact our Office of Professional Responsibility by phone at (512) 206-3405 or by e-mail at opr@tabc.texas.gov. This will allow our investigators to determine if an employee acted improperly and take action if necessary.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

[Name Redacted]
Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission
5806 Mesa Drive
Austin, Texas 78731

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

The part that doesn't jive is that the liquor store owner bought the correct signs from the state. By telling you this lie can you trust anything else that he said? The state doesn't sell 30.06/07 signs. I think we will all be curious to see how this turns out.

longhorn86

Post by longhorn86 »

If he keeps the signs up, please make sure you post his business on http://www.texas3006.com so LTC's can spend their money elsewhere. :nono:
NRA Life Member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

rotor wrote:The part that doesn't jive is that the liquor store owner bought the correct signs from the state. By telling you this lie can you trust anything else that he said? The state doesn't sell 30.06/07 signs. I think we will all be curious to see how this turns out.
This is why I asked about pictures of the signs he supposedly bought from the state. They don't sell them. So, wondered what they looked like, maybe home made or bought from a local sign company.

Bottom line, the store is the one that has to file the complaint, as stated in the response. TABC takes complaints serious, so they will investigate and respond to the issue if warranted.

Would still be interested in seeing the signs that are posted. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

I filed a complaint against my local liquor store when they posted 51% signs. I got an email and a phone call from the TABC apologizing and the signs were down the next day. Of course the TABC has better control over the posting of those since it is tied to the license.

It will likely depend on who at the TABC gets your message whether or not they would even attempt to address it. As for me, I would have included the address of the store so that the TABC knows who is involved on their end.
Last edited by kg5ie on Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

jkurtz

Post by jkurtz »

rotor wrote:The part that doesn't jive is that the liquor store owner bought the correct signs from the state. By telling you this lie can you trust anything else that he said? The state doesn't sell 30.06/07 signs. I think we will all be curious to see how this turns out.
Maybe I read it wrong or missed something, but the OP did not say the store owner purchased the signs from the state. He said the TABC agent told the store owner to buy signs from the state.
He said he posted some signs and a few days later the inspector came back and told him his signs were not legal and that he would have to buy the correct signs from the state.
If the TABC agent felt the need push his political views by intimidating the store owner into posting signs, is it really out of the realm of possibility/believability that the same TABC agent would give false information regarding where the signs need to be purchased?

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

jkurtz wrote:
Maybe I read it wrong or missed something, but the OP did not say the store owner purchased the signs from the state. He said the TABC agent told the store owner to buy signs from the state.
He said he posted some signs and a few days later the inspector came back and told him his signs were not legal and that he would have to buy the correct signs from the state.
If the TABC agent felt the need push his political views by intimidating the store owner into posting signs, is it really out of the realm of possibility/believability that the same TABC agent would give false information regarding where the signs need to be purchased?

I reread the OP's post...
"He said he posted some signs and a few days later the inspector came back and told him his signs were not legal and that he would have to buy the correct signs from the state. Which he did as well and posted those."
I interpreted "which he did" to mean that he bought them from the state which I don't believe to be possible.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

It certainly sounds to me like the store owner wanted to post signs and then blame it on the TABC. However, it's possible that is not the case. I would talk to the owner, show him the letter, and let him know he can take the signs down. If he wants to he can even call and complain about the TABC agent, or wait and do so if he comes back and complains about the signs being gone. If the signs come down, great! If they stay, then you know what's really going on. Let us know how it all shakes out; I'm curious.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Maybe the liquor store owner thought the signs would keep him from being robbed? :smilelol5: "rlol" :smilelol5:

dlh

Post by dlh »

A good letter from the TABC.

Many of those state agencies have commissioners appointed by the governor...so....they know the governor is "pro-gun" and would not want to incur his wrath...just sayin...
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Topic author
addison_bryant
Posts in topic: 7

Post by addison_bryant »

Well some of your suspicions may have been true! I went in today to have another chat with the owner and showed him the email from TABC. He read it, and without going into all the details and back and forth, he basically said he would feel more comfortable leaving the signs up. When I asked if it was because of the TABC or his own opinions about citizens carrying weapons legally he said he didn't feel like talking about it anymore and needed to get back to his paperwork. To which I said, "thank you for your time, and this is the last you will see of me and many of my friends," and walked out.

Still not 100% sure if it's his opinion or if the idle threats really happened, but either way 30.06 = no money.

jkurtz

Post by jkurtz »

addison_bryant wrote:Well some of your suspicions may have been true! I went in today to have another chat with the owner and showed him the email from TABC. He read it, and without going into all the details and back and forth, he basically said he would feel more comfortable leaving the signs up. When I asked if it was because of the TABC or his own opinions about citizens carrying weapons legally he said he didn't feel like talking about it anymore and needed to get back to his paperwork. To which I said, "thank you for your time, and this is the last you will see of me and many of my friends," and walked out.

Still not 100% sure if it's his opinion or if the idle threats really happened, but either way 30.06 = no money.
At this point it definitely sounds like it is his personal opinion and he was just trying to use the TABC as a scapegoat.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

jkurtz wrote:
addison_bryant wrote:Well some of your suspicions may have been true! I went in today to have another chat with the owner and showed him the email from TABC. He read it, and without going into all the details and back and forth, he basically said he would feel more comfortable leaving the signs up. When I asked if it was because of the TABC or his own opinions about citizens carrying weapons legally he said he didn't feel like talking about it anymore and needed to get back to his paperwork. To which I said, "thank you for your time, and this is the last you will see of me and many of my friends," and walked out.

At this point it definitely sounds like it is his personal opinion and he was just trying to use the TABC as a scapegoat.

:iagree:

Yeah, I don't think the TABC ever told him to post signs, he was just unaware that there are ways to check on his story. When confronted with the facts, he had no other option, but to either remove them, or admit he made the decision on his own. His in-actions speak louder than words. Find another liquor store.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Kinda sounds like the shop owner/manager is trying to ensure that the only firearms in the place are his and any unfriendly's.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”