LTC individual has ND at Houston Galleria

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 1

Re: LTC individual has ND at Houston Galleria

Post by ninjabread »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I'm picturing a guy whose vanity won't allow him to wear anything besides skinny jeans and emo pants, and his little brother's shirts.
I see you've been to the Houston Galleria.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

treadlightly wrote:Junk + gun= bad idea. A gun in a backpack means the backpack is the holster. If you wouldn't carry a gun in a flimsy holster that would let something pull the trigger through the cloth, or if you wouldn't stick your ballpoint down beside your gun in a regular holster, then you shouldn't do the same thing with a backpack.

Being coldly logical, I observe several things. It's possible for mishandled guns to discharge negligently, one proof being this Galleria incident.

And it happens very, very rarely.

On the whole, society appears much more careful with guns than with cars.

Federal Car Free School Zones, anyone?
:smilelol5: there goes that silly talk! You know good and well that guns going off by themselves KILL MORE than cars do. Even in a school zone! :evil2:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Liberty
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Liberty »

goose wrote:
Liberty wrote:
goose wrote:
Liberty wrote:
Actually, I believe it does.Most of us wouldn't consider carrying while unloaded. but carrying a handgun in a back pack is transporting it. You wouldn't ship a gun loaded or transport to the hunt lease a hunting rifle loaded. Carrying a weapon in a back pack isn't really the same as packing a concealed weapon for protection.
Does that apply to purses or the many carry satchels? Or does there need to be some version of a "quick draw" built into it? Just curious where you would draw the line.
Where I draw the line is actually irrelevant.
I was asking about when you viewed a person as carrying (assuming a purse would be considered carrying for most) vs. transporting (your description of the backpack). That was the relevance. No worries. I was just curious not trying to debate.
I believe that carrying in a backpack makes the weapon practically inaccessible without removing the backpack and then opening it up before withdrawing the weapon. A courier satchel, purse or belly pouch is comparatively accessible and a lot faster.

( I understand that my "irrelevant" remark may have come off a little confrontational and possibly rude. Sorry. I Was just trying to imply that ultimately what works for someone else is irrelevant to my opinion.)
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I wonder what rule of the Galleria's he violated. I'm thinking it might be the "no weapons" policy, but that doesn't make sense as they have decided to exempt LEO's and LTC's. Maybe they have a "no stupidity" rule.
No shooting inside the mall.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ninjabread wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:I'm picturing a guy whose vanity won't allow him to wear anything besides skinny jeans and emo pants, and his little brother's shirts.
Nope, but that kind floats around here too. Always good for a little amusement. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

goose
Posts in topic: 5

Post by goose »

Liberty wrote:I believe that carrying in a backpack makes the weapon practically inaccessible without removing the backpack and then opening it up before withdrawing the weapon. A courier satchel, purse or belly pouch is comparatively accessible and a lot faster.

( I understand that my "irrelevant" remark may have come off a little confrontational and possibly rude. Sorry. I Was just trying to imply that ultimately what works for someone else is irrelevant to my opinion.)
You and I are good.

And I get what you're saying. I think that the context I was asking about involves my "bug home" gear. Thinking of a hurricane/flooding situation, or an urban unrest situation (highly unlikely as I am not near the city center) where I had to leave my car and am carrying my backpack with minimal supplies. The thought of a 10-12 mile hike with an IWB holster has given me pause in the past. I have an older leather CCW fanny pack. This may make me think about putting it in the top of the backpack as the first thing taken out. As something I'll hopefully never use, the price for recycling the fanny pack is spot on.

I need to work on refining my thoughts and gear a bit more. Thank you, sir. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
ninjabread wrote:
Nope, but that kind floats around here too. Always good for a little amusement. :lol:
You mean these guys? (stolen from the Calexit discussion) And could that be the 'backpack' in question? (w/red plaid) "rlol"

member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

The Annoyed Man

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
ninjabread wrote:
You mean these guys? (stolen from the Calexit discussion) And could that be the 'backpack' in question? (w/red plaid) "rlol"

Yep, that is them. They get around, don't they?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

goose wrote:
Liberty wrote:I believe that carrying in a backpack makes the weapon practically inaccessible without removing the backpack and then opening it up before withdrawing the weapon. A courier satchel, purse or belly pouch is comparatively accessible and a lot faster.

You and I are good.

And I get what you're saying. I think that the context I was asking about involves my "bug home" gear. Thinking of a hurricane/flooding situation, or an urban unrest situation (highly unlikely as I am not near the city center) where I had to leave my car and am carrying my backpack with minimal supplies. The thought of a 10-12 mile hike with an IWB holster has given me pause in the past. I have an older leather CCW fanny pack. This may make me think about putting it in the top of the backpack as the first thing taken out. As something I'll hopefully never use, the price for recycling the fanny pack is spot on.

I need to work on refining my thoughts and gear a bit more. Thank you, sir. :tiphat:
I think that is actually a valid point. I've even looked at weighs to clip a holster to the waist belt on my backpack, if I were on foot like that. But certainly there is a place for a backup firearm carried in some kind of a pack. I have a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 that resides in a messenger bag, along with three 33-round stick mags and a couple of G17 +2 mags, for exactly that kind of thing. But it would easily fit in my backpack as well. And when I DO put a pistol in a backpack, it is always secured in a holster, which is velcroed to the inside wall of the pack, so that nothing can interfere with the trigger, and the gun isn't just tossing around inside the bag with a bunch of other stuff.

But this is different from the carrying of a backpack as a substitute for a purse.....which is what a lot of them are actually being used for, which is what the OP's story sounds like.

#TINVOWOOT

Liberty
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Liberty »

As I've mentioned before, I have 'transported' a handgun in a backpack. Usually while on the road and stashed away with an extra t-shirt, socks chargers, and a Kindle Fire or a small notebook computer. My P92 is holstered in an Uncle Mikes padded Nylon. The Holster has a backstrap for retention which keeps the weapon secure. I pretty much wear my EDC for the whole trip. While the P92 is either wedged between the seat and console or in the backpack.

I had one trip that I must have been a little rough with the back pack, because it bashed the screen of the Kindle in. The gun was unharmed.

If I were to have to bugout on foot, I would take my P92 carried SoB, and use the back pack for more useful things like food tools and gear. I can't work out the mechanics of a quick retrieval and draw from a backpack while it's being worn. Then again I can't understand how the guy in the OP dropped the back pack if he was wearing the thing properly, maybe he was carrying it like a ladies purse.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 2

Post by treadlightly »

The gun is part of the equation, isn't it? A double-single action autoloader, hammer down, safety on, is much farther from an ND than, say, my Sig P320 with no safety.

My favorite in the stable is a compact 1911, even though I don't carry it as often as other choices.

A drop safe 1911 with a firing pin block, hammer down in Condition Two, offers about as inert a gun as I can imagine while still minimizing the manual effort to get it ready to fire. That would be my choice for a backpack gun, but I would never carry a 1911, even hammer down, without something to cover the trigger and also keep the hammer from snagging anything.

But all that is just details. The day I start thinking the design of a gun makes it safe, not the care with which I must carry, is the day I stop carrying.

Alf

Post by Alf »

Knowing how accurate the first MSM reports usually are, especially when guns are involved, I have my doubts.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
goose wrote:

You and I are good.

I think that is actually a valid point. I've even looked at weighs to clip a holster to the waist belt on my backpack, if I were on foot like that. But certainly there is a place for a backup firearm carried in some kind of a pack. I have a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 that resides in a messenger bag, along with three 33-round stick mags and a couple of G17 +2 mags, for exactly that kind of thing. But it would easily fit in my backpack as well. And when I DO put a pistol in a backpack, it is always secured in a holster, which is velcroed to the inside wall of the pack, so that nothing can interfere with the trigger, and the gun isn't just tossing around inside the bag with a bunch of other stuff.

But this is different from the carrying of a backpack as a substitute for a purse.....which is what a lot of them are actually being used for, which is what the OP's story sounds like.

I don't know what type of waist belt your backpack has, but mine has two rows of molle that I have attached a nylon holster on the strong side and a nylon double mag pouch on the other.
While nylon is not my daily choice, in an excrement contacting the rotating turbine situation where I am hoofing it home, it will do the job.
I think they are Condor brand but several companies make them.
Just a suggestion.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

The Annoyed Man

Jusme wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
goose wrote:

You and I are good.

I don't know what type of waist belt your backpack has, but mine has two rows of molle that I have attached a nylon holster on the strong side and a nylon double mag pouch on the other.
While nylon is not my daily choice, in an excrement contacting the rotating turbine situation where I am hoofing it home, it will do the job.
I think they are Condor brand but several companies make them.
Just a suggestion.
Yes, mine has molle webbing on it. It's a 511 RUSH 72. 511 supposedly makes a doohickey that will go on that belt to accept a holster. I just haven't gotten around to looking it up. Worst comes to worst, I have a couple of kydex paddle holsters that would probably strap right on.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”