Had a rough past, am I eligible?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TexDSg05
Posts in topic: 3

Had a rough past, am I eligible?

Post by TexDSg05 »

In 2009 I was charged with misdemeanor reckless endangerment in North Dakota. I plead guilty and got time served (2 days in jail) and paid a fine. In 2011 I was arrested for felony possession of marijuana in Texas, had the charges deferred while I completed 3 years of probation, then the charges where dropped. That all seems like a lifetime ago, and I'm wondering if it will now prevent me from getting my CHL? I tried looking for answers on here before posting this, and it seems like the possession charge might not prevent me? But I'm still unsure about the reckless endangerment.

remanifest
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Had a rough past, am I eligible?

Post by remanifest »

I'm not a lawyer, but I think you're out of luck on this one: https://texasdefenselaw.com/library/def ... ion-texas/
texasdefenselaw.com wrote:a set-aside on a felony community supervision may not prohibit a person from owning a handgun under the felon in possession rule. Under the DPS concealed handgun rules, however, a set-aside on a felony prohibits an applicant from applying for a CHL.
"They will not force us, and they will stop degrading us. They will not control us, and we will be victorious. Rise up and take the power back. We have to unify and watch our flag ascend."
- Muse - Uprising

Topic author
TexDSg05

Post by TexDSg05 »

The the possession charge was deferred adjudication. It's past the 5 year mark, so I can get that sealed. After doing so, will it still prevent me from owning a CHL?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

TexDSg05 wrote:The the possession charge was deferred adjudication. It's past the 5 year mark, so I can get that sealed. After doing so, will it still prevent me from owning a CHL?
Welcome to the Forum.

Felony possession of marijuana is not a permanent ban on getting a LTC, but you will not be eligible until 10 years after the date on the court order giving you deferred adjudication. The exclusion period for misdemeanors is five years, but it is ten years for felonies. Felony deferred adjudication for offenses in Title 5 or Chp. 29 of the Penal Code are permanent bars to getting a LTC.

Chas.

Topic author
TexDSg05

Post by TexDSg05 »

Thank you for the info. Looks like I have awhile to wait.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”