Interpreting TWU Campus Carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
chasfm11
Posts in topic: 3

Interpreting TWU Campus Carry

Post by chasfm11 »

I'm planning to attend a Skywarn training class a TWU this coming Saturday. The course is listed to take place in the Multi-Purpose Classroom Laboratory with no more details. I assume that there will be signs directing me to the actual room.

I found the TWU Campus Carry policy here.
http://www.twu.edu/policy/PolicyDocs/Re ... 0Carry.pdf

My reading of the "gun free zones" is that they are individual rooms within buildings and not the whole building. There appear to be several rooms on the GFZ list in the MCL building I also notice that the policy is listed at the bottom as applying to students and professors but not guests. I find that at odds with the opening statement.

I've attended events at TWU in the past, before the Campus Carry went into effect and have always locked my gun in the car. I'm not real found of that because I'm concerned, as I am in many campus environments, with the surrounding area. I'd prefer to keep it on me but I don't want to risk a trip back to the car to store it for obvious reasons.

Thoughts?
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Interpreting TWU Campus Carry

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Looks like if you stay out of Room 102, and off of the 6th floor, and you should be fine.

at bottom of page 3;

THOSE AFFECTED BY THE POLICY
[X] TWU Students, Faculty, Staff, and Guest
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Topic author
chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:Looks like if you stay out of Room 102, and off of the 6th floor, and you should be fine.

at bottom of page 3;

THOSE AFFECTED BY THE POLICY
[X] TWU Students, Faculty, Staff, and Guest
Thanks for the reply. I had hoped that someone had been on the TWU campus and seen the presence or absence of signs at the building or room level. WIth a little further investigation, it looks like there is a 400 seat auditorium in the MCL and I'm assuming that is where the Skywarn session will be held.

The absence of the"x" in the block beside guest on page three is what lead me to wonder what the intent was.

The irony is that UNT, just a few blocks away, has an entirely different policy. There, every public gathering place including the fairly small auditorium in the music building is off limits.

I can only chuckle at the underlying premise to some of this: that Texas LTC holders are locationaly homicidal. I do understand that a chemistry lab could be a bad place for an ND. But when the GFZ get to the room level, it just has to be humorous. I toyed with using a provided phone number for the DPS office at TWU but then decided that I really didn't want to be tied to whatever the person answering that phone might say. There is a high probability that I've spent more time trying to figure this out than they have.
Dum Spiro, Spero

Topic author
chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I attended the Skywarn training today. It was held in the TWU MCL building auditorium.

Immediately across from auditorium doors was one of the rooms that was apparently determined by the TWU policy to be off limits and there was a very large scale 3006 sign on the door to that room. Because of its size, it could easily have been interpreted to apply to the facility. The 3006 sign at the Denton County Precinct 3 building, for example, appears to smaller, is less conspicuous and it DOES apply to the entire facility.

The 400 seat auditorium was almost completely full for the session. Applying standard demographics, there should have been between 12-16 LTC holders in the audience. Considering that much of the audience was Amateur Radio guys, many of whom are ex-military, I would have expected the demographics to put the LTC count on the high side. If anyone else was carrying, I was unable to see any hint of them. A uniformed officer was outside the event for the entire day. Someone who had not taken the time to look at the TWU policy could easily have been intimidated into not carrying.
Dum Spiro, Spero

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MeMelYup »

chasfm11 wrote:I attended the Skywarn training today. It was held in the TWU MCL building auditorium.

Immediately across from auditorium doors was one of the rooms that was apparently determined by the TWU policy to be off limits and there was a very large scale 3006 sign on the door to that room. Because of its size, it could easily have been interpreted to apply to the facility. The 3006 sign at the Denton County Precinct 3 building, for example, appears to smaller, is less conspicuous and it DOES apply to the entire facility.

The 400 seat auditorium was almost completely full for the session. Applying standard demographics, there should have been between 12-16 LTC holders in the audience. Considering that much of the audience was Amateur Radio guys, many of whom are ex-military, I would have expected the demographics to put the LTC count on the high side. If anyone else was carrying, I was unable to see any hint of them. A uniformed officer was outside the event for the entire day. Someone who had not taken the time to look at the TWU policy could easily have been intimidated into not carrying.
Evidently they were trying to insure that you were not a bunch of rowdy people.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”