Bowling tournament

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Bowling tournament

Post by RPBrown »

As I mentioned in a previous post I am an avid bowler. My question is I bowl in a lot of local, state, & national tournaments where there are cash prizes. Although not a part of PBA, would these tournaments be considered professional sporting events for LTC purposes
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Bowling tournament

Post by Keith B »

RPBrown wrote:As I mentioned in a previous post I am an avid bowler. My question is I bowl in a lot of local, state, & national tournaments where there are cash prizes. Although not a part of PBA, would these tournaments be considered professional sporting events for LTC purposes
As you know, I am not a lawyer, but I don't see a prize for a tournament making it a professional sporting event. Usually the term 'professional' means you are paid/compensated for doing what you do. If you get an award (cash, trophy, etc) for finishing in the top 10, then I would not say you are a professional.

An example I use is for ballooning. The FAA does not allow private pilots to be compensated for flying passengers, carry banners for pay, etc. However, they say that it is OK for them to receive prize money in competitions and receive money for just 'showing up' at a festival as long as they are not required to do a flight for that payment. This allows them to offset their expenses without being 'paid' professionals.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPBrown »

Thanks Keith. This was my thought as well but wanted to get the opinion of those more in the know than I am.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

roadkill

Post by roadkill »

Keith B wrote:
RPBrown wrote:As I mentioned in a previous post I am an avid bowler. My question is I bowl in a lot of local, state, & national tournaments where there are cash prizes. Although not a part of PBA, would these tournaments be considered professional sporting events for LTC purposes
As you know, I am not a lawyer, but I don't see a prize for a tournament making it a professional sporting event. Usually the term 'professional' means you are paid/compensated for doing what you do. If you get an award (cash, trophy, etc) for finishing in the top 10, then I would not say you are a professional.

An example I use is for ballooning. The FAA does not allow private pilots to be compensated for flying passengers, carry banners for pay, etc. However, they say that it is OK for them to receive prize money in competitions and receive money for just 'showing up' at a festival as long as they are not required to do a flight for that payment. This allows them to offset their expenses without being 'paid' professionals.
We just finished all the major stock shows in state. The rodeos at these are considered professional sporting events. The participants only get paid if they win and they pay to play. Granted its sanctioned by the PRCA (professional rodeo cowboy association) which many could be carrying over the professional name to the likeness of the sport. But its much the same situation as the OP. Really need to get the sporting event limition removed so we can all not worry about just what is a professional sporting event.

Frankie

Post by Frankie »

If it's not part of the PBA tour and just USBC sanctioned, you might be alright. But, I'm no lawyer so..... what do,I know.
On a side note, my daughter bowls High School bowling, two time state Champions and 4th in the Nationals last year Go Knights! Many of the bowling centers we frequent in San Antonio are posted both 30.06 & 30.07. I never carry, even in unposted centers, because we are there competing as a High School event We are currently in College Station for All District matches this weekend and I always carry when we are traveling but must lock it up before we go in. Man do I hate doing that!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”