Need a refresher....

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Need a refresher....

Post by The Annoyed Man »

So my wife and I, right now, are at a local municipal park near my house, walking and playing with our grandchildren. I am open carrying... which up to now, either nobody notices or seems to care. After we had been here for about a half hour, a GCISD school bus pulls up and disgorges about 40 or 50 kids, all wearing the same t-shirt which seems to indicate that they are part of some school club. They are setting up for a picnic, and it appears to be an official school activity.

What are my legal obligations, if any? Does their arrival suddenly make the park offf limits to me? I don't want to leave yet.

BTW, my wife is carrying too, in her purse.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Need a refresher....

Post by Papa_Tiger »

The Annoyed Man wrote:So my wife and I, right now, are at a local municipal park near my house, walking and playing with our grandchildren. I am open carrying... which up to now, either nobody notices or seems to care. After we had been here for about a half hour, a GCISD school bus pulls up and disgorges about 40 or 50 kids, all wearing the same t-shirt which seems to indicate that they are part of some school club. They are setting up for a picnic, and it appears to be an official school activity.

What are my legal obligations, if any? Does their arrival suddenly make the park offf limits to me? I don't want to leave yet.

Following the logic of a recent OAG opinion, since the school does not control the location, it does not become off limits to you as a private citizen when school children show up. That being said, I would probably cover up if possible to avoid any confrontations with MDA or their ilk that may be "supervising" this field trip.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

The Annoyed Man wrote:So my wife and I, right now, are at a local municipal park near my house, walking and playing with our grandchildren. I am open carrying... which up to now, either nobody notices or seems to care. After we had been here for about a half hour, a GCISD school bus pulls up and disgorges about 40 or 50 kids, all wearing the same t-shirt which seems to indicate that they are part of some school club. They are setting up for a picnic, and it appears to be an official school activity.

As Papa_Tiger said, they are not in control of the park. Charles mentioned a similar scenario in one of his podcasts. Where a school on a field trip stops at a fast food location to feed the kids. If you happen to be in the restaurant at the same time, so be it. They are not in control of the facility.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

Not unless the school owns the park. I think it would be the same if the busload of kids unloaded while you were at the public library.
Ron
NRA Member

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I would throw this in along with the kids that collect outside my house to catch the school bus. Although a regular stop for them, they don't own nor have control of the property.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I belive this opinion was rendered when carry at the State Capitol was being considered. And the Legislature decided that carry was still allowed even though the Capitol hosts several school field trips. But my memory is suspect on good days so I may be mistaken.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Thanks guys! I suspected that to be the case, but I found myself deeply embedded in a senior moment, and the mental gears locked up and I couldn't for the life of me remember! :oops: Thank God for LTE cellular connections! We are home now. By the time we left the park, any number of people sitting near us whom I spoke with about just general stuff both while sitting and standing, never mentioned a word about my carrying......and I'm pretty sure some of them must have noticed. If there was going to be trouble, I most expected it to come from any of several moms with toddlers, all of whom had a good chance to observe me as we were all standing around over by the playground equipment and chatting while the kids all played. If anybody even looked at my gun, it was behind my back. Nobody......as usual.....seemed to care, including the adults supervising the school group.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

As long as you are not a part of that school group and it isn't on school property, you are ok to carry.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Thanks guys! I suspected that to be the case, but I found myself deeply embedded in a senior moment, and the mental gears locked up and I couldn't for the life of me remember! :oops:
It happens to the best of us, but usually only when going from one room to another. Not while just sitting in a park feeding the pigeons. :biggrinjester:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Had a similar situation recently when I went to a city park to watch my grandson's t-ball game. The games are sponsored by a Little League association with no school ties. I was CC, and didn't think much about it until a school bus pulled up and unloaded a girls softball team that had a game on another field in the park. I wasn't sure either, but I played it quiet and carried on.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Lynyrd wrote:Had a similar situation recently when I went to a city park to watch my grandson's t-ball game. The games are sponsored by a Little League association with no school ties. I was CC, and didn't think much about it until a school bus pulled up and unloaded a girls softball team that had a game on another field in the park. I wasn't sure either, but I played it quiet and carried on.
I went to my nephew's flag football game at a local elementary school. I asked his parents up front, is this league operated by the school? or an athletic association? When I found out it was an athletic association, it didn't matter to me that it was on a school's field. Any more than sitting at the playground of a school on the weekend with my nieces and nephews.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Weren't you worried about taking the "ride"? We've only had legal carry in TX for 21 years. I would be worried about cops not knowing the law.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

ScottDLS wrote:Weren't you worried about taking the "ride"? We've only had legal carry in TX for 21 years. I would be worried about cops not knowing the law.
Well, 21 years ago I wasn't even old enough to drive.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

ScottDLS wrote:Weren't you worried about taking the "ride"? We've only had legal carry in TX for 21 years. I would be worried about cops not knowing the law.
:lol:

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”