Any practical way to legally carry an AR Pistol?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

maverick2076
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Any practical way to legally carry an AR Pistol?

Post by maverick2076 »

I bought this UTG sling pack for discretely transporting my SBR, and I'm very happy with it. It is thoughtfully designed, well made, and sturdy, while being fairly inconspicuous.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

locke_n_load wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I don't know of any holster for an AR-15 "pistol" nor is there any chance that Texas law will change to allow the carrying of an AR-15 pistol openly.

Buy a LAW Tactical folding stock adapter, get NFA paperwork for an SBR and that will be legal under current Texas law. Then, if you carry it openly, get ready for LEO's to be asking how your day is going, are you mad at anyone, why are you walking by this school, have you taken your meds today, did you get fired or divorced recently, who do you pray to, etc. Obviously, I mean this somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but carrying a short AR-15 around is going to draw a lot of unwanted attention. Having one in your car or truck, or even your briefcase is one thing, but walking around with one that everyone can see will make you the center of attention.

Chas.
Wouldn't walking by a school with an AR rifle be violating the GFSZA, even if you had an LTC?
Not with an LTC.

Chas.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

CleverNickname wrote:OP, if you really want an AR15 belt holster, this is the only one I've seen:

https://www.facebook.com/RedlineProGear
http://www.airsoftgi.com/product/Redlin ... ack-20421/
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Having one in your car or truck, or even your briefcase is one thing, but walking around with one that everyone can see will make you the center of attention.
There is a significant portion of open carriers who seem to think that this is a feature, not a bug.
Yes, we get it. You don't like open carry.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ScottDLS »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I don't know of any holster for an AR-15 "pistol" nor is there any chance that Texas law will change to allow the carrying of an AR-15 pistol openly.

Buy a LAW Tactical folding stock adapter, get NFA paperwork for an SBR and that will be legal under current Texas law. Then, if you carry it openly, get ready for LEO's to be asking how your day is going, are you mad at anyone, why are you walking by this school, have you taken your meds today, did you get fired or divorced recently, who do you pray to, etc. Obviously, I mean this somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but carrying a short AR-15 around is going to draw a lot of unwanted attention. Having one in your car or truck, or even your briefcase is one thing, but walking around with one that everyone can see will make you the center of attention.

Chas.
Wouldn't walking by a school with an AR rifle be violating the GFSZA, even if you had an LTC?
Not with an LTC.

Chas.
18 USC 922q
if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
Since the ATF seems to interpret "licensed to do so by THE STATE" to preclude recognition of reciprocal licenses, I wonder if they consider carry of a long arm "THE FIREARM" to be covered by a Texas LTC?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

ScottDLS wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:

Chas.
Not with an LTC.

Chas.
18 USC 922q
if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
Since the ATF seems to interpret "licensed to do so by THE STATE" to preclude recognition of reciprocal licenses, I wonder if they consider carry of a long arm "THE FIREARM" to be covered by a Texas LTC?
That was the point of my question.
Exemption:
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located
Since long arm carry is not regulated by the state, nor does an LTC authorize one to carry a long arm, would an LTC exempt a licensee from the GFSZA if carrying a loaded rifle?

EDIT: Didn't realize Scott quoted the code, my apologies.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

locke_n_load wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:

Chas.
Not with an LTC.

Chas.
18 USC 922q
That was the point of my question.
Exemption:
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located
Since long arm carry is not regulated by the state, nor does an LTC authorize one to carry a long arm, would an LTC exempt a licensee from the GFSZA if carrying a loaded rifle?

EDIT: Didn't realize Scott quoted the code, my apologies.
Now I see your point, but the answer is the same. Having an LTC exempts you from the federal school zone law. All that is necessary is that you possess a license that required a background check to obtain the license. It doesn't even have to be a license to carry. For example, a FOID card in Illinois exempts one from the federal law, even though a FOID card is required to purchase and possess a firearm even in your home.

Chas.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”