Can you legally carry a .500?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Can you legally carry a .500?

Post by RPBrown »

Just as the topic says. I have a S & W 500 and a neighbor told me it was illegal to CC or OC anything over a .45. I said that I would ask those that know on here. I may want to OC some day.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Can you legally carry a .500?

Post by cyphertext »

I don't recall any caliber restrictions outside of the minimum of a .32 caliber for the proficiency test.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bblhd672 »

Nothing in CHL-16 other than .32 minimum for qualification.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

apostate

Post by apostate »

RPBrown wrote:Just as the topic says. I have a S & W 500 and a neighbor told me it was illegal to CC or OC anything over a .45. I said that I would ask those that know on here. I may want to OC some day.
Not a problem in Texas although iirc a neighboring state does have a caliber restriction.

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

bblhd672 wrote:Nothing in CHL-16 other than .32 minimum for qualification.
Which goes away on September 1.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

You're good to go in Texas.

However, there are some other states that do have upper limits on the caliber. I think OK might be one and possible NM and AZ, but might be getting the number of handguns one can carry mixed up with one or both of those last two.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

apostate wrote:
RPBrown wrote:Just as the topic says. I have a S & W 500 and a neighbor told me it was illegal to CC or OC anything over a .45. I said that I would ask those that know on here. I may want to OC some day.
Not a problem in Texas although iirc a neighboring state does have a caliber restriction.
C-dub wrote:You're good to go in Texas.

However, there are some other states that do have upper limits on the caliber. I think OK might be one and possible NM and AZ, but might be getting the number of handguns one can carry mixed up with one or both of those last two.
Specifically, Oklahoma has a .45 caliber maximum allowed for carry. I know that the .451" .45 ACP and .45 GAP would be allowable under OK law. I don't know if .454" pistol cartridges — .45 LC, .454 Casull, or .460 S&W — would be considered a ".45" by OK standards. Maybe OK defines anything that is <.50 as a .45. It would be interesting to find out.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Papa_Tiger wrote:
Are you sure about that? I have been trying to find out whether that bill was signed or not. Posted a question about it but haven't received a response.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
apostate wrote:
C-dub wrote:You're good to go in Texas.

Specifically, Oklahoma has a .45 caliber maximum allowed for carry. I know that the .451" .45 ACP and .45 GAP would be allowable under OK law. I don't know if .454" pistol cartridges — .45 LC, .454 Casull, or .460 S&W — would be considered a ".45" by OK standards. Maybe OK defines anything that is <.50 as a .45. It would be interesting to find out.
There isn't anything I can find on the web that says for certain that .45 = .454 and is allowed. Looks like one of those laws with unintended ambiguity that could result in someone being charged by an anti-2A prosecutor. Someone in OK should get an AG's opinion on it!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

RossA wrote:
Papa_Tiger wrote:
Are you sure about that? I have been trying to find out whether that bill was signed or not. Posted a question about it but haven't received a response.
100% sure:

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... Bill=SB263

Last Action: 06/09/2017 E Effective on 9/1/17

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

As others mentioned, here in Texas you're good. Not sure about other States, great question.

I think it is really cool to be able to carry big ol' wheel gun occasionally, I carry my SRH 454/45 sometimes (just posted about it last night after my grocery store outing).

I mean...what is there not to like about something like 500 S&W, 454 casull, 460...? Welllllll.....

If you have to actually use it for self defense, be prepared for a bigger legal expense potentially, and for a brand new hearing aid, ear doctor fees etc. :shock: Those boogers are loud! Even if you miss, you'll scare whatever was coming after you away. :mrgreen:

Speaking of missing; My SRH when loaded with full house 454 federal swift "A-frame" load is one tricky and stubborn pierce of machinery, even at only 7-10 yards. You have got to remember to aim low...very low. At least in my case. :???:

So, unless I'm out in the woods somewhere, or just practicing on destruction of my metatarsals, I just put a hot 45 colt jhp for urban carry. Makes that SRH with 7.5" feel like a .380 when shooting. It is a tack driver, even in DA.

Anywho...

Side note,

I did get one opportunity to shoot the 500. It is a kicker for sure but strangely enough, I feel that my 454 kicks harder, like it has more of a thrust/jar into my hand.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

parabelum wrote:So, unless I'm out in the woods somewhere, or just practicing on destruction of my metatarsals, I just put a hot 45 colt jhp for urban carry.
Why on earth would you want to shoot yourself in the foot with a .45 Long Colt?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metatarsal_bones

:mrgreen:

I assume you meant "metacarpals".....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metacarpal_bones
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
parabelum wrote:So, unless I'm out in the woods somewhere, or just practicing on destruction of my metatarsals, I just put a hot 45 colt jhp for urban carry.

Your knowledge is hands and feet above the rest of us! :smilelol5: Sometimes I crack me up.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

Indeed! :smilelol5:

I'll just blame it on iPhone and such. :???:

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

parabelum wrote:As others mentioned, here in Texas you're good. Not sure about other States, great question.

I think it is really cool to be able to carry big ol' wheel gun occasionally, I carry my SRH 454/45 sometimes (just posted about it last night after my grocery store outing).

I mean...what is there not to like about something like 500 S&W, 454 casull, 460...? Welllllll.....

If you have to actually use it for self defense, be prepared for a bigger legal expense potentially, and for a brand new hearing aid, ear doctor fees etc. :shock: Those boogers are loud! Even if you miss, you'll scare whatever was coming after you away. :mrgreen:

Speaking of missing; My SRH when loaded with full house 454 federal swift "A-frame" load is one tricky and stubborn pierce of machinery, even at only 7-10 yards. You have got to remember to aim low...very low. At least in my case. :???:

So, unless I'm out in the woods somewhere, or just practicing on destruction of my metatarsals, I just put a hot 45 colt jhp for urban carry. Makes that SRH with 7.5" feel like a .380 when shooting. It is a tack driver, even in DA.

Anywho...

Side note,

I did get one opportunity to shoot the 500. It is a kicker for sure but strangely enough, I feel that my 454 kicks harder, like it has more of a thrust/jar into my hand.
I'd never heard of .454 Casull until I started reading the C.J. Box books that has a main character that uses it.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”