Just became a resident, non-resident CHL?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ApolloFrost
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Just became a resident, non-resident CHL?

Post by ApolloFrost »

Ah that makes sense, I used to bow hunt near Lake Sonoma and that's army corps of engineers land. It was nice but there were too many noisy people with crossbows. Could be some nice spots to bow hunt though, maybe less hunting pressure. I'll have to ask around.

As for city carry, I'm 6' 200 lbs so people as a general rule tend to leave me be. Eventually once I'm more comfortable I'll probably start carrying just because it's better to have it and not need it, but for the time being I'm pretty OK with my zip tied Spyderco (DIY Emerson wave).

Not to wax philosophical but my hesitation also might stem from my time as an EMT. Having seen and cared for people that were very badly hurt or even dying I take self defense and the consequences very seriously. It doesn't matter if someone is a junkie or bad person when they're bleeding to death and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. That's a human being.

I've also seen the effect having to use deadly force had on my friends in the military and law enforcement. Some of them handled the trauma better than others but all of them were definitely changed. I had a buddy that was a radio operator in the Navy that came onto a hostile boat after it had been swept only to find himself face to face with a 14 year old kid with an AK that somehow had evaded security. He shot the kid but it pretty much destroyed him.

I think that some of us forget that when it comes to self defense it's not always some big POS with a 30 year long rap sheet and a life of crime behind them. It might be some teenager with a knife and a drug problem.

Now on the flip side I know from having been in bad situations that I will use anything and everything at my disposal if I have to, it's just not something I romanticise and to be perfectly honest I am a little bit skittish about it.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Jusme »

I think you will find that members here run the gamut from won't leave home without it, to only carrying on occasion. You will also find that we all hope we never have to use our guns shoot anyone else, even in self defense, and take steps to avoid confrontation, and try not to be in locations, or circumstances, where that would be likely to happen. Everyone has to find their own comfort level. I carry everyday, and I usually OC. Others only carry CC, and each of us have reasons for our decisions.

Just out of curiosity, I know what a Spyderco, and an Emerson Wave, are, but what is a "zip tied" Spyderco?

Anyway, we are glad you found the forum, and feel free to ask any questions, we have former, and current LEO, attorneys, former and current medical personnel, housewives, house husbands, mechanics, just about every profession, you can name, and plenty of opinions. We are very respectful, and do our best to agree to disagree, if there are differences of opinions.

Keep us updated, on your journey towards getting your LTC, and if you have questions, someone here will have the answers, and they may even be correct. :mrgreen:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Jusme
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Jusme »

Schleprock wrote:
Jusme wrote:Just out of curiosity, I know what a Spyderco, and an Emerson Wave, are, but what is a "zip tied" Spyderco
https://youtu.be/LH2q68D81fI :tiphat:

OK, thanks, I had never heard of that.

You can delete your duplicate posts, just click on the x at the top right of your post, and then type in duplicate when it asks for the reason for the deletion.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
ApolloFrost

Post by ApolloFrost »

Schleprock wrote:
Jusme wrote:Just out of curiosity, I know what a Spyderco, and an Emerson Wave, are, but what is a "zip tied" Spyderco
https://youtu.be/LH2q68D81fI :tiphat:
Yep that's the one. You can also cut a notch in the spider hole but that compromises the integrity of the blade. If you do it right the zip tie can be "tuned" to grab more or less depending on how you trim it. You can also swap the pocket clip around if you need to.

It's like a ripcord, if you can grab it it'll open on the draw. No fine motor skills needed. I'm trying to get used to wearing it on my weak side for weapon retention.

It's almost scarily easy to open one handed, just grab and go.

apostate
Posts in topic: 1

Post by apostate »

Nice It's like a poor man's Emerson Wave, and probably easier on pockets.

Topic author
ApolloFrost

Post by ApolloFrost »

apostate wrote:Nice It's like a poor man's Emerson Wave, and probably easier on pockets.
Yes exactly. They also make "Kydex Waves" that you can add on. It's kind of fun because it breathes new life into old carry knives. I have one of the original glossy carbon fiber harpies and I'd never modify it, but it's nice to have the wave function if I want to carry it in a more serious role.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”