Just became a resident, non-resident CHL?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ApolloFrost
Posts in topic: 8

Just became a resident, non-resident CHL?

Post by ApolloFrost »

Howdy,

I recently moved from California for a number of reasons, chief among them being that I was born to do more than pay bills and die. I surrendered my CA drivers license and got everything switched over to Texas so that's all sorted. I was looking into getting a CHL so I can carry concealed while hiking and fishing (not going to rule out urban carry but it's not my main concern.) but I saw that there's a requirement for a resident to have been here six months before applying.

So here's my question to you. Can I apply for a non-resident CHL or do I have to wait six months? Last time I was out fishing I almost had a run in with the local wildlife so it's kind of in the forefront of my mind.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Just became a resident, non-resident CHL?

Post by Pawpaw »

That confuses a lot of people.
GC §411.173. NON-RESIDENT LICENSE. wrote:(a) The department by rule shall establish a procedure for a person who meets the eligibility requirements of this subchapter other than the residency requirement established by Section 411.172(a)(1) to obtain a license under this subchapter if the person is a legal resident of another state or if the person relocates to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state. The procedure must include payment of a fee in an amount sufficient to recover the average cost to the department of obtaining a criminal history record check and investigation on a nonresident applicant. A license issued in accordance with the procedure established under this subsection:
(1) remains in effect until the license expires under Section 411.183; and
(2) may be renewed under Section 411.185.
In other words, just submit your application using your TX Drivers License.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Jusme
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Jusme »

Pawpaw wrote:That confuses a lot of people.
GC §411.173. NON-RESIDENT LICENSE. wrote:(a) The department by rule shall establish a procedure for a person who meets the eligibility requirements of this subchapter other than the residency requirement established by Section 411.172(a)(1) to obtain a license under this subchapter if the person is a legal resident of another state or if the person relocates to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state. The procedure must include payment of a fee in an amount sufficient to recover the average cost to the department of obtaining a criminal history record check and investigation on a nonresident applicant. A license issued in accordance with the procedure established under this subsection:
(1) remains in effect until the license expires under Section 411.183; and
(2) may be renewed under Section 411.185.
In other words, just submit your application using your TX Drivers License.

:iagree:

This.

If you wait until Sept 1st, to apply, the price will only be $40 instead of $140 before then. You can take the class anytime before that, and then apply on Sept 1st

Welcome to a free State after fleeing Commiefornia! And welcome to the forum.

:tiphat:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
ApolloFrost

Post by ApolloFrost »

Thanks! It sure is great to be here. Such a breath of fresh air!

Topic author
ApolloFrost

Post by ApolloFrost »

Jusme wrote:

If you wait until Sept 1st, to apply, the price will only be $40 instead of $140 before then. You can take the class anytime before that, and then apply on Sept 1st
Oh! Just googled it. Guess I'm waiting until September and using the extra money for ammo and practice.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

ApolloFrost wrote:
Jusme wrote:

What happens September 1st?
The legislature lowered the price for LTC applications from $140 down to $40 it goes into effect on September 1 st

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Abraham »

ApolloFrost,

Just curious: Was the local wildlife human or animal?

Thanks!

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

ApolloFrost wrote:Thanks! It sure is great to be here. Such a breath of fresh air!
Please remember that when you vote.

Welcome to free America. :patriot: :txflag:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
ApolloFrost

Post by ApolloFrost »

Abraham wrote:ApolloFrost,

Thanks!
A three foot snake swam onto the bank while I was baiting a hook and was maybe a foot away from me before I realized. Didn't get a really good look at it but I'm 90% sure it was harmless. No pinched neck so not a water moccasin. I gently persuaded it with the tip of my fishing pole to be elsewhere (live and let live) but it did get me to thinking.

Later in the day when I was hiking back to my Jeep I surprised something that ran off through the underbrush and sounded suspiciously like a pig, so that was pretty much the clincher.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

RoyGBiv wrote:
ApolloFrost wrote:Thanks! It sure is great to be here. Such a breath of fresh air!
Please remember that when you vote.

Welcome to free America. :patriot: :txflag:
:iagree: There are plenty of people here who would like Texas to become the same utopia that Kalifornis has become.

I moved to Texas from Illinois last year and got my LTC within a couple of months. I started off on this forum asking the same question!

Welcome to Texas and to the best forum in the state! :txflag:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

ApolloFrost wrote:

Thanks!
A three foot snake swam onto the bank while I was baiting a hook and was maybe a foot away from me before I realized. Didn't get a really good look at it but I'm 90% sure it was harmless. No pinched neck so not a water moccasin. I gently persuaded it with the tip of my fishing pole to be elsewhere (live and let live) but it did get me to thinking.

Later in the day when I was hiking back to my Jeep I surprised something that ran off through the underbrush and sounded suspiciously like a pig, so that was pretty much the clincher.

You can carry a long gun (rifle, or shotgun) without an LTC, in Texas. As long as it's not COE land. I't a little more cumbersome, but there is still plenty of good hiking and fishing available between now and Sept 1st. (Sept 1st is also the day a new resident hunting and fishing license is issued)

Topic author
ApolloFrost

Post by ApolloFrost »

Jusme wrote:
ApolloFrost wrote:

Thanks!

You can carry a long gun (rifle, or shotgun) without an LTC, in Texas. As long as it's not COE land. I't a little more cumbersome, but there is still plenty of good hiking and fishing available between now and Sept 1st. (Sept 1st is also the day a new resident hunting and fishing license is issued)
COE?

I was in Academy looking at the .22 rifles for something cheap and light I could hike with or leave in my Jeep. The kid gives me a horrified look and says "Um, I really don't recommend that for hunting... it's not... it's just not going to work."

Kid thought I was going to go after deer and hogs with a .22! I mean, sure it will put down a pig if you shoot it in the right spot, but that's not what I wanted it for. He was visibly relieved when I explained that I own other rifles.

I am itching to put down a hog sometime soon but that'll take laying out some ground work and settling in first. I'll probably use my AR-10 for that or if by some miracle there are wide open spaces it might be fun to wallop one with my .338 Lapua :biggrinjester:

I'm in Cypress so I'm sure I'll find a spot within a few hours drive eventually.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

ApolloFrost wrote:COE?
Army Corps of Engineers, also known as ACOE.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Corps of Engineers. A Federal agency that control areas around dams lakes and some rivers.
The areas can be found on Google maps or the Corps of Engineers web site. No firearms are allowed, by Federal law.
Texas State parks allow handguns carried by LTC holders either CC or OC. Fishing in State parks requires no fishing license. All of the rules can be found on the Texas Parks and Wildlife web site.
A long gun can be legally carried almost anywhere in public in Texas. I don't recommend walking around downtown Austin with an AR wearing camo, unless you want to speak with Austin's finest, it is legal. I would reccomend a 410 snake charmer, with an 18 " barrel for snakes. It's lightweight, and not as cumbersome as a longer barreled shotgun.
You will find that Texas is a much more firearm friendly place than where you left. Most people you meet will only complement you on your gun, or show you what they carry as an alternative, Then invite you to go shooting with them.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

ApolloFrost wrote:I was looking into getting a CHL so I can carry concealed while hiking and fishing (not going to rule out urban carry but it's not my main concern.)
Heck, why make a distinction between hiking around in the city and out in the woods? Just carry, it puts a spring in the step!

And welcome to America. I have to confess I say that without having ever lived in California. From what I hear the place is almost as crazy as Austin, but I readily admit that's hearsay.

About California. I was born and raised in Austin so I have a notion how strange that place gets. Hurts a little, but it is what it is.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”