Invited into a neighbor's home. Can I carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Mel
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Invited into a neighbor's home. Can I carry?

Post by Mel »

If you think that they would object, it would be common courtesy to not carry, but you have no legal obligation notify them in Texas.
Some states require that you notify them. Texas does not.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

Silliness! Guns notwithstanding, if you are uncomfortable and/or fear for your life, or the life of your companion/s, why would you accept the invitation in the first place?

I agree with Olbill.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bblhd672 »

Jusme wrote:They have the right to refuse to allow carry in their home. If they expressed no such prohibitions, you are free to carry. They also have the right to ask you to leave at any time for any reason ( maybe they don't like your hairstyle)
It will be your decision whether to CC or OC, but I would CC until I knew more about their stance. JMHO
:iagree:
Conceal carry and enjoy the party.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

This subject comes up periodically and it is understandable. It's a common occurrence and it does touch on Texas law, common practice in the community and one's personal code of conduct.

As already noted, as long as one has not been given notice by a homeowner that they don't want guns in their homes, then it is legal to carry in their home without any type of notice.

I'm in a different position than many people because almost everyone who would have me in their home know I always carry a handgun. So it's a non-issue. On the very rare occasions when I do have the opportunity or duty to go into the home of someone who does not know me, I never mention the fact that I have a gun. (I would never open-carry in someone's home.) I realize some folks think that it's a matter of common courtesy, but I disagree. I think it's more a matter of one's person code of conduct than "common courtesy." When I am with atheist or Muslim friends, I don't tell them that I have the Bible on my phone, nor would I tell them I was wearing a cross under my shirt if I wore a cross. The carrying of a concealed handgun, a Bible on my phone, or a cross under my shirt does not impact anyone else as would having the flu when accepting an invitation into someone's home.

I don't fault anyone for asking permission or notifying someone ahead of time, that's their choice.

Chas.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

For those saying that you should proactively ask, I would ask whether they proactively ask if a homeowner is OK with them carrying a cell phone before entering someone else's home (or any of the things that Charles mentions above). It's completely normal to carry a cell phone, a cross, a bible, or a gun, even though a lot of people find some of those things distasteful. I believe that the onus should be on the person who extends the invitation to alert guests about any conditions on their entry. Just like you would tell guests that they need to bring a dish to a potluck or wear a costume to a costume party.

And if you are ever invited to my home, please understand that I fully expect you to let me know if you are NOT armed so I can loan you an appropriate gun to carry during your visit. Just because I like you enough to invite you into my home does not mean that I want to be responsible for your protection.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

If I'm carrying concealed, I don't ask. It won't affect them. On one occasion, I was invited to someone's home while open carrying on a day that I was riding my motorcycle. I asked if they minded because they are my friends, they used to live in California, and I didn't know their feelings on guns. I had other friends there that would not have minded storing my gun in their car if it was an issue. I asked in that situations because the gun was visible, and I didn't want them to be uncomfortable but remain silent as they are very courteous people. That's about the only situation I can think of where I would feel a need to ask. Hope this helps.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

jed

Post by jed »

I may be confused here, most likely the case, but seems I remember a discussion a few months ago about not legally be allowed to carry on private property according to some state law. Seems I remember someone giving an example of having a cookout and inviting friends over, cc and oc welcome, that they would have to have a "handgun class" to legally get passed the state statue. I searched the forum but came up empty.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

jed wrote:I may be confused here, most likely the case, but seems I remember a discussion a few months ago about not legally be allowed to carry on private property according to some state law. Seems I remember someone giving an example of having a cookout and inviting friends over, cc and oc welcome, that they would have to have a "handgun class" to legally get passed the state statue. I searched the forum but came up empty.
I believe that thread related to allowing other UNLICENSED people to carry in your home. The consensus seemed to be that you could not legally allow them to do so unless there was a "sporting activity" of some sort happening at your home, like a handgun class. The key here being that the hypothetical folks did not have an LTC.

SIGFan43

Post by SIGFan43 »

I still have relatives and friends where I used to live in Arkansas. There, it is the law that requires you to notify the residential tenant that you are carrying. It's been that way since they created the concealed carry law there. If my own brother refused to allow me in his house with a pistol, I would suggest we go to a restaurant where they allow concealed weapons. In Texas, it's not required by law, but I ask friends anyway, once I'm in and comfortable. No one has had a problem yet. I have friends in Texas who don't look twice if I take my jacket or cover shirt off once I'm inside, since it's more comfortable. Texas is great! Arkansas? Maybe they will be better one of these days.
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
And if you are ever invited to my home, please understand that I fully expect you to let me know if you are NOT armed so I can loan you an appropriate gun to carry during your visit. Just because I like you enough to invite you into my home does not mean that I want to be responsible for your protection.

Reminds me of the old joke about a particular bar being a rough place. They check people for guns at the door, and if you don't have one they loan you one. :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

jed

Post by jed »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
jed wrote:I may be confused here, most likely the case, but seems I remember a discussion a few months ago about not legally be allowed to carry on private property according to some state law. Seems I remember someone giving an example of having a cookout and inviting friends over, cc and oc welcome, that they would have to have a "handgun class" to legally get passed the state statue. I searched the forum but came up empty.
I believe that thread related to allowing other UNLICENSED people to carry in your home. The consensus seemed to be that you could not legally allow them to do so unless there was a "sporting activity" of some sort happening at your home, like a handgun class. The key here being that the hypothetical folks did not have an LTC.

Ok, thanks. I didn't remember the licensed part.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

jed wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:

I remember participating in that thread. I may have veered another thread off topic. My issue was that I was planning to take my BIL to the range, and he did not have an LTC. I preferred to show him the guns that we would be shooting at my house, so he could understand how they worked while in a quiet and relaxed environment as opposed to on the shooting line at the range where it would be noisy and we would both be wearing ear protection. The consensus seemed to be that it would be illegal for him to handle any guns while at my house since it was not property under his control.

jed

Post by jed »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
jed wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:

I remember participating in that thread. I may have veered another thread off topic. My issue was that I was planning to take my BIL to the range, and he did not have an LTC. I preferred to show him the guns that we would be shooting at my house, so he could understand how they worked while in a quiet and relaxed environment as opposed to on the shooting line at the range where it would be noisy and we would both be wearing ear protection. The consensus seemed to be that it would be illegal for him to handle any guns while at my house since it was not property under his control.
At the risk of taking this one off topic, I would be very uncomfortable at a range. The range part of my LTC class was very unnerving as I had never shot in a line with other shooters and the percussion from the person on either side of me was very unsettling. I used to go to a range (same one with the class) back in the early 90's but it was very informal then and I would go about daylight on the weekends and had the place to myself. For the last 20 plus years I have my own range in the woods behind my house.

Back to the topic, I have no problem with someone carrying in my house because if they are in my house or on my place, I know them very well.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

jed wrote:At the risk of taking this one off topic, I would be very uncomfortable at a range. The range part of my LTC class was very unnerving as I had never shot in a line with other shooters and the percussion from the person on either side of me was very unsettling. I used to go to a range (same one with the class) back in the early 90's but it was very informal then and I would go about daylight on the weekends and had the place to myself. For the last 20 plus years I have my own range in the woods behind my house.
Please don't take offense to what I'm about to type. I mean absolutely no disrespect.

If you are unnerved by the concussion of people all shooting in a safe direction, how do you think you might react in a self defense situation where the bad guy might be shooting at you? One is presumably safe but noisy. The other is decidedly unsafe and noisy.

Personally, I would try to get a handle on the noise part of the equation. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Pawpaw wrote:how do you think you might react in a self defense situation where the bad guy might be shooting at you? decidedly unsafe and noisy.
In a self defense shooting situation only the first couple of shots are going to be really loud, after that your hearing ain't what it used to be. :mrgreen:
Additionally there's that adrenaline dump that will probably put noise way down at the bottom of your concerns.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”