Dilemma - Car breaks down on way to work

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Dilemma - Car breaks down on way to work

Post by Pariah3j »

tomneal wrote:I didn't think 30.06 applied to employees.
They can/will fire you for violations of company policy, but I really don't think they can prosecute you for the violation.

On-the-other-hand, when you interview for your next job and they ask you "Why did you leave your previous position?", how will you answer.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advise.
30.06/30.07 applies to everyone but the property/business owner, and anyone they authorize to carry past. I would suspect with 30.06/30.07 being Class C misdemeanor, you're more likely to be asked to leave or get trespassing charges than the $200 ticket imo. Haven't heard of anyone being ticketed for the offense as of yet...
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

tomneal wrote:I didn't think 30.06 applied to employees.
They can/will fire you for violations of company policy, but I really don't think they can prosecute you for the violation.

On-the-other-hand, when you interview for your next job and they ask you "Why did you leave your previous position?", how will you answer.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advise.
30.06 & .07 signs have always applied to employees unless they have consent. Companies that don't post signs can still forbid employees from carry by giving them proper notice, while allowing visitors or customers to carry.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

greyjack

Post by greyjack »

You have this dilemma because your office is posted. Wouldn't it be prudent to find a job where your safety was more important than some loonie left wing agenda?

flechero

Post by flechero »

greyjack wrote:You have this dilemma because your office is posted. Wouldn't it be prudent to find a job where your safety was more important than some loonie left wing agenda?
While you are 100% on the first part... not everyone has the ability or the option of replacing a career or specific income level, in moving to a 2A friendly business.

I did take a significant pay cut some years ago to accept a position with a business that allowed it. And with that came a huge curb in spending, shooting, and gun recreational purchases... not fun, but was the right move for me at that time in my life.

I see both sides of the coin. :tiphat:

TEX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TEX »

I ran into a similar situation where I worked and it happened about the time the open carry law came out and there were a few active shooter incidents around the country. We were all forced to watch a video that I believe was developed by HPD or at least promoted by them. I think it was called “Run, Hide or Fight”. It starts off with some goblin walking passed a 3006 sign on the front door of a business, then shooting a security guard with a shotgun and goes on from there. I thought it was just a CYA film and saw the gaps in it. By gaps, I mean things no one else apparently picked up on. The fact that the “no guns” sign did nothing to stop the goblin and in fact may have encouraged him – knowing that no one there, except possible the security guard, would be armed and he was ambushed first thing. The other gap was that the video encouraged you to fight if you could not run or hide, yet gave no instructions or advice on how to fight or what to use as an improvised weapon. The person who insisted all employees (about 700) watch the video, although an American, had spent the last 20 years in Europe and Australia and I was pretty sure I knew his stance on firearm ownership in general. I thought I had little chance of convincing him that the signs really did no good, but I decided to write him an anonymous email from a temporary g-mail address, opened from the Harris County Library without a library card login (color me paranoid), explaining what I saw as the real life consequences of the signs, the lack of supplying any realistic information on fighting if necessary, nor what constituted good cover if you were running or hiding. I included the section of Texas Law that protects a CHL/LTC holder with regards to weapons locked and unseen in their vehicle while on company property. I informed him that firing an employee that exercised that privilege of the law was not a criminal offense by the company and carried no fine, but could potentially put the company in a position to be sued, and probably successfully, by the fired employee. That was over a year ago and I never got a reply to my email and the signs are still up. That was pretty much what I expected, but it at least felt good to make the effort. I guess he took a “don’t want to know” view of it. It is a big oil company and I work in the operations and maintenance end of it. Probably a quarter of the guys I work with have firearms in their vehicle and most have a CHL/LTC - and we all know who each other are. That was the group I was with when we watched the film and there was a lot of eye rolling, but no one said a word.

The facility on each floor has what they have designated as safe rooms for active shooters or tornadoes, etc They are usually small conference rooms that have a single sided deadbolt on the inside. The sad thing is that in almost every case, there is a glass panel right next to the door handle that can easily be broken to gain access to the dead bolt and in many instances the entire room. It would make you chuckle if it were not so serious a flaw. In my email I made him aware of that problem and also of how venerable the entire complex was. If a goblin parked next to the main entrance guard shack and walked in the door, which he could, pretending to be lost etc. He could easily take out the unarmed security person and then take his magnetically coded badge. This would then give him access to every place there, even some executive areas and the main security console – which then gives him access to control or prevent any outgoing calls. He could at the same time render all of the iron entrance gates inoperable. The amount of damage a couple of dedicated goblins could do before they met any resistance in the way of uniforms would be devastating – I am guessing at least one hundred dead in less than 20 minutes.

Is it only people like us that notice these maniacs tend to pick places where they don't expect to meet any armed resistance.

TEX
Last edited by TEX on Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There will be no peace until they love their children more than they hate us - Golda Meir

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Call in sick and then call AAA and have it towed home.

TEX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TEX »

To the point of the original post, I too, as Wheelgun1958 said, call in sick and have the car towed to the place by my house where I get all my work done. I think my insurance covers two tows a year.
There will be no peace until they love their children more than they hate us - Golda Meir

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”