Called out in church on my CC

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Called out in church on my CC

Post by SewTexas »

I spotted a guy carrying at my sister's church once. Wasn't printing or anything, but he had a bright sliver J clip on a black belt with his jacket off.....dead give-away for someone else who carries and is sitting, and standing, behind him in church.

we need to invent interchangeable hooks for holsters..... hmmmmm :headscratch
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
allisji
Posts in topic: 9

Post by allisji »

Oldgringo wrote:I see terms such as Steward, Elder and various Pastoral ranks mentioned throughout this thread. In our small FUMC, we have a Pastor and a Choir Director. What size and what denominations are y'all talkin' about that has all of these middle and upper management positions runnin' the show?

With all due respect, just askin'.....
We are small congregation, usually have maybe 70 or 80 people in worship, and steward is not a job title or a position in our church, I should not have capitalized it, but it is the term that he used to indicate that he takes some degree of responsibility for people who are coming and going. However, the term is often used as a catch all for people who participate as ushers, greeters, pastors, teachers, worship leaders, secretaries, clerks, administrators, committee chairs, committee members, cleaning team, etc.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Topic author
allisji
Posts in topic: 9

Post by allisji »

SewTexas wrote:I spotted a guy carrying at my sister's church once. Wasn't printing or anything, but he had a bright sliver J clip on a black belt with his jacket off.....dead give-away for someone else who carries and is sitting, and standing, behind him in church.

we need to invent interchangeable hooks for holsters..... hmmmmm :headscratch
belt clips serve, kinda by accident, as sort of an ID badge for members of a secret society of concealed carriers.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Tex1961 »

While were on the subject of guns and churches.. Is there any other congregation out there in the North Texas area that have any sort of shooting group. We are a Lutheran Church in Frisco and we have a small group that competes with one another and also working on a competition shoot with another Lutheran church. We welcome all, so if your interested let me know.. We would love to share the fellowship and sport with you all.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPBrown »

Most of our church know I and others carry. We are a motorcycle friendly church and do frequent rides together. Shirts tend to blow up exposing your weapon when doing 40+ MPH. Our pastor has his CHL, now LTC as does several of the folks in our congregation, men and women.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

As a member if the praise band, I am up on stage during a large portion of the service. Our previous pastor, knew that I carry, and he had no issues with it. As far as I know, the only other person in our congregation, who knows that I carry, is our drummer, who just recently completed his LTC class and applied for his license. He plans to carry as soon as he gets his plastic. I have no idea about our new pastor's views on carrying, and have no plans to ask. I do know that there are other members who have their LTC, but as to their carry status on any given Sunday, I can't say.
The associate pastor, may have just been curious, but his lack of tact, and discretion, is unsettling. I agree with Charles, and others, who advise to just let the issue drop. If it is still bothering the OP, perhaps he can mention the issue to the pastor, and explain that carrying, is a personal decision and having to answer questions about it during the service, is off putting. He could then speak to the AP and perhaps help him to become more discreet about things. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

couzin

Post by couzin »

Oldgringo wrote:I see terms such as Steward, Elder and various Pastoral ranks mentioned throughout this thread. In our small FUMC, we have a Pastor and a Choir Director. What size and what denominations are y'all talkin' about that has all of these middle and upper management positions runnin' the show?

We are Presbyterian - does not matter the size of congregation, the elected Elders for the most part rule the church through Session (the group of Elders headed up by the Clerk of Session - the Pastor is there to moderate and keep order (and he/she REALLY needs to do that on occasion). We do have congregational meetings to vote on some items, but for the majority of items, budget, undertakings, use of funds, etc., Session rules. The Pastor leads us but really does not have control over much at the church level, in fact, they are assigned to the church and are employed by the Presbytery. Above us is the Presbytery, above them is the Synod, and ruling all our actions is the General Assembly (God above all). I too long for the small wooden church of my youth where we had a "preacher" and not much else, and 'stuff' just got taken care of...
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I have to admit that some of the posts by open-carry supporters and practitioners taking a "it's none of their business if I'm carrying" approach caused me to chuckle.

Apparently, I'm in the minority on this issue. Although it rarely happens, when I'm asked if I'm carrying a gun, I almost always respond "yes." I then use their question as an opportunity to discuss and promote the carrying of self-defense handguns. I'm not offended by the question and I don't mind others hearing it and my response. It let's me be an ambassador for over one million LTCs. As I noted, I'm rarely asked that question because everyone who knows me knows that I'm always carrying a self-defense handgun. I've been asked that question most often by those attending various functions where I'm a guest speaker. These are usually, but not always, "friendly" audiences, but on occasion there are people in the audience that are opposed to guns.

I agree with those who, for tactical reasons, don't want bad guys to know they are armed. That's why I don't open-carry. However, I don't feel that disclosing that I have a handgun in response to a question puts me in danger. I've never heard of a potential attacker first asking the intended victim if they are armed. :mrgreen:

Chas.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

couzin wrote:

We are Presbyterian - does not matter the size of congregation, the elected Elders for the most part rule the church through Session (the group of Elders headed up by the Clerk of Session - the Pastor is there to moderate and keep order (and he/she REALLY needs to do that on occasion). We do have congregational meetings to vote on some items, but for the majority of items, budget, undertakings, use of funds, etc., Session rules. The Pastor leads us but really does not have control over much at the church level, in fact, they are assigned to the church and are employed by the Presbytery. Above us is the Presbytery, above them is the Synod, and ruling all our actions is the General Assembly (God above all). I too long for the small wooden church of my youth where we had a "preacher" and not much else, and 'stuff' just got taken care of...
Hence the rise of the "Cowboy Churches".

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I have to admit that some of the posts by open-carry supporters and practitioners taking a "it's none of their business if I'm carrying" approach caused me to chuckle.

Apparently, I'm in the minority on this issue. Although it rarely happens, when I'm asked if I'm carrying a gun, I almost always responsd "yes." I then use their question as an opportunity to discuss and promote the carrying of self-defense handguns. I'm not offended by the question and I don't mind others hearing it and my response. It let's me be an ambassador for over one million LTCs. As I noted, I'm rarely asked that question because everyone who knows me knows that I'm always carrying a self-defense handgun. I've been asked that question most often by those attending various functions where I'm a guest speaker. These are usually, but not always, "friendly" audiences, but on occasion there are people in the audience that are opposed to guns.

I agree with those who, for tactical reasons, don't want bad guys to know they are armed. That's why I don't open-carry. However, I don't feel that disclosing that I have a handgun in response to a question puts me in danger. I've never heard of a potential attacker first asking the intended victim if they are armed. :mrgreen:

Chas.
As Charles knows, I carry openly as my default method. I accept that some, very few, will comment. We each have to choose the method that makes sense to us and deal with the consequences.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I have to admit that some of the posts by open-carry supporters and practitioners taking a "it's none of their business if I'm carrying" approach caused me to chuckle.

Apparently, I'm in the minority on this issue. Although it rarely happens, when I'm asked if I'm carrying a gun, I almost always respond "yes." I then use their question as an opportunity to discuss and promote the carrying of self-defense handguns. I'm not offended by the question and I don't mind others hearing it and my response. It let's me be an ambassador for over one million LTCs. As I noted, I'm rarely asked that question because everyone who knows me knows that I'm always carrying a self-defense handgun. I've been asked that question most often by those attending various functions where I'm a guest speaker. These are usually, but not always, "friendly" audiences, but on occasion there are people in the audience that are opposed to guns.

Chas.
I look forward to opportunities to promote the arming of good responsible citizens, and although I CC as a matter of course, I normally don't mind discussing with folks the fact that I am armed. I find that at certain places discretion might be the better philosophy. I always carried at the workplace, and although we weren't expressly prohibited I was careful about it being known that I did carry on a regular basis. My reasoning was I didn't want anyone making an issue of it that resulted in no-gun policy or a 30-06 sign.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I agree with Charles, in that if I am asked if I am carrying( which since I OC most of the time hasn't happened to me) I will answer in the affirmative. I CC at church, because I don't want anyone's focus to be on me, or my gun, while there to worship. That said, I understand the OP position in that the question, should have been asked in a more private setting, and not while sitting in a pew. Many members of my church have seen me in public, OC, so they may,or may not be aware that I CC in church.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SewTexas »

I CC all the time as I tend to hang out with women, many older than I am. But yeh, if I'm asked, I'll answer, I love to "evangelize" and turn people toward the wonders of self-protection..... :biggrinjester:
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

Just my opinion, but I feel that rasing the issue publically of asking "if your carrying" is poor manners and "bad form".

I took a couple of guys that work with me that asked that question somewhat loudly when we were at an informal business dinner, aside and explained my view to them, with the added explanation that the company is not "weapons friendly" and since this was somewhat of a company function, no, I was not carrying as I respect the rules, regulations and policies of the company :thewave to the best of my ability.

As its been brought up, it IS an opportunity to evangelize a bit...

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I guess I'm in Charles' boat. While I carry concealed at church to avoid being a distraction many know I carry and that I'm an instructor. I've helped or later taught approx. 150 of our members to become LTCs. I advised the Eldership on open-carry and wrote our policy. I've been discovered on several occasions by innocent pats or hugs. I don't even bother trying to position myself so somebody doesn't touch my gun or spare mags. I've been bumped frisked a few times and I good-naturedly make some friendly quip and go on. If someone asks I engage them in conversation, answer any questions I can, and try to be a positive ambassador. On a number of occasions I've been thanked. Occasionally I pick up another student but mostly people just see a friendly old soul that just happens to carry a gun.

I appreciate the "nobody's business" mindset but I am more interested in promoting carry than keeping it a secret.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”