Basic question: How thorough do I need to be?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TaterinTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Basic question: How thorough do I need to be?

Post by TaterinTexas »

Hi all....new to this board.

I have been contemplating applying for a CHL for some period of time. I start on the application process, but I end up blowing it off because of the amount of information I'm required to provide. I'm not complaining, as we all agree, the state certainly has a right to know who they would be issuing a license to.

However, what stops me down every time is having to list every "conviction" I have ever had. I have been a law-abiding citizen all my life, except for one thing: I have something of a lead foot, and have received a stinkload of speeding tickets over the years. None have been for anything egregious like driving 80 miles an hour in reverse through a school zone. Most are just in that garden-variety 10 to 15 miles over the limit range that you get when you get busy thinking about other things and don't pay attention to your speed. I've always paid the tickets or addressed them through obtaining deferred adjudication and have never had a warrant issued for my arrest (I have always addressed the matters timely). What worries me is that, having driven since 1978, there is no way I will be able to remember all the tickets and adjudications I've had.

I know the requirements to be issued a license regarding A and B misdemeanors, and I'm aware that all of the matters that I have been "convicted" of have been class C misdemeanors. But if I am reading the application correctly, I have to list everything.

Two questions:

Do I really have to list every speeding ticket I've ever received?

If I screw up and miss something, what will the DPS do to me? I don't want to get in trouble for misrepresenting anything on an application.

I'd appreciate any guidance. Thx.

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Basic question: How thorough do I need to be?

Post by TVGuy »

Welcome to the forum!

You don't have to report traffic violations/speeding tickets, unless you were arrested. If you were arrested that is a different story.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

TVGuy wrote:Welcome to the forum!

You don't have to report traffic violations/speeding tickets, unless you were arrested. If you were arrested that is a different story.
:iagree: Traffic fines and citations do not have to be listed. If you were ever arrested and booked, that all has to be listed.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Topic author
TaterinTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TaterinTexas »

Thanks to both of you gentlemen...this will make things much easier.

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

... after submitting my application, I realized I forgot to mention a possible class A from decades ago. At that moment, I sent RSD an email.

Without the supplemental email, I am quite certain the application would have been rejected. Instead, I was fortunate to receive my license four days later.

Hope this helps ...

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Yeah, they only want arrests.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”