Thoughts on [Pre-paid legal service]

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Thoughts on [Pre-paid legal service]

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

If you dig around here with the search function, there were other discussions that pointed to outside sources that did pretty good comparisons between the different companies/organizations. Read carefully as to just what is being offered. Some of the differences are mind boggling.

Pre-arranging legal representation is similar to getting your LTC and carrying in the first place. It's not about the odds, it's about the consequences, if you do happen to hit that one-in-a-million turn of events.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:If you dig around here with the search function, there were other discussions that pointed to outside sources that did pretty good comparisons between the different companies/organizations. Read carefully as to just what is being offered. Some of the differences are mind boggling.

Pre-arranging legal representation is similar to getting your LTC and carrying in the first place. It's not about the odds, it's about the consequences, if you do happen to hit that one-in-a-million turn of events.
:iagree: Like most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us.

I am a member of a legal service. They hold workshops and seminars around the state. I have spoken with the attorney who would be representing me if I had issues in central Texas. I am satisfied with his knowledge, success rate, and ability.

You will have to do your own research to see what will work best for you. I've been trained as a Workers' Compensation insurance adjuster. One of the major benefits of any insurance or pre-paid service is peace of mind.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

Before taking an LTC course, research in advance if you're to be subjected to a sales pitch.

If so, I'd look for one that didn't subject me to a sales pitch.

I find instilling fear an unethical method of selling.

Yes, it's done all the time, but I don't have to tolerate it on my time...

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tex1961 »

Abraham wrote:Before taking an LTC course, research in advance if you're to be subjected to a sales pitch.

They waisted 45 minutes of my time during my LTC class pushing insurance. I very pointedly asked the instructor if they get a commission from this company to which he replied yes.. I was quite vocal in class about being a captured audience and that I really didn't appreciate the hard core sales pitch. Of course I didn't get any response, but it did make more than one person in class re-think their decision to purchase immediately. After class and after a lot of research I went with a different vendor anyway which I am glad I did...

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Tex1961,

You did good!

If any are in an LTC class and a sales pitch is upcoming, one can also let the instructor know to let you know when the sales pitch is over and then get up and walk out of class.

I'd love to hear some instructor give out grief for anyone in class not willing to sit through a sales pitch you shouldn't be subjected to.

I can think of all sorts of ways to come back on that kind on nonsense...

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

Tex1961 wrote:
Abraham wrote:Before taking an LTC course, research in advance if you're to be subjected to a sales pitch.

They waisted 45 minutes of my time during my LTC class pushing insurance. I very pointedly asked the instructor if they get a commission from this company to which he replied yes.. I was quite vocal in class about being a captured audience and that I really didn't appreciate the hard core sales pitch. Of course I didn't get any response, but it did make more than one person in class re-think their decision to purchase immediately. After class and after a lot of research I went with a different vendor anyway which I am glad I did...
Can you tell us without mentioning names why you went with a different vendor, what kind of features they offered that you thought were better, etc.
This is an extremely complicated issue and very hard to decide which way to go. Understand that this site does not like names. We understand that this is not insurance.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I don't know if I would recommend a pre-paid legal service or not. I have had some experience with a pre-paid legal plan as a benefit of work. It was very useful for those one-off visits such as a will or a real estate purchase. For lawsuits they would only review your case and recommend an independent lawyer who had expertise in that area. Yes, this was a general service and not a specific gun plan.

But I have had experience also with a lawyer in a shooting. I guess you could call it a pre-paid plan also since it was provided for by the police union as part of my dues. I can honestly say that I truly believe that in any shooting you will need a good lawyer. You will also probably need a good psychologist too. Here is my logic on this, and a recommendation.

If you are ever involved in a shooting, the police will come and investigate it. The police are never your friend when they investigate, they are just doing a job investigating what happened. You, and most of the public may feel you are justified in the shooting when the law disagrees. You may also say something wrong which causes you more trouble. You are best served by having a lawyer present during any questioning by the police. While I will not tell you to say nothing without one, I do recommend you say as little as is reasonable (he tried to rob me and forced me to shoot him type of thing) before you say the wrong thing. As an example, compare the statement "He tried to rob me and forced me to shoot him" to the statement "He tried to rob me so I shot him" and tell me which sounds better to the officer and a jury. A lawyer can help make this distinction. A lawyer can help you get the police to decide it was justified so it doesn't go any further. He can also help you with the DA. A lawyer can represent you in a grand jury hearing if the DA and grand jury agree even though you have no right to present a defense tot he grand jury.

You can get the lawyer through the pre-paid legal service but check to make sure exactly what is covered and how. You can also get the lawyer by shopping around now and paying a few small consultation fees (if needed) to pick one you can call when needed. The second option lets you know who will come and have already established some rapport with that lawyer. The pre-paid service has the advantage of possibly reducing the costs or at least spreading them out over time.
Steve Rothstein

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

"You can get the lawyer through the pre-paid legal service but check to make sure exactly what is covered and how"

...and may I add to that: What is NOT covered.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”