Why do we need 30.06/7?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Yes signs?

Go TX! 30.06/7 Is necessary to protect the rights of property owners.
23%
Go CO! Only metal detectors should prevent concealed carry.
33%
Go UK! Gunpowder bad. Compressed air good.
No votes
Why doesn't Colorado put shredded BBQ on a potato?
44%

Total votes: 39

srothstein
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Why do we need 30.06/7?

Post by srothstein »

pbwalker wrote:True, but every state has a loony bin. Texas's just happens to be the capital. :lol:
That is probably true of most states, and definitely true of the nation as a whole.
Steve Rothstein

OlBill
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Why do we need 30.06/7?

Post by OlBill »

srothstein wrote:
OlBill wrote:Are we not a protected class by virtue of the 2nd Amendment?
I cannot resist pointing out that we are, from one point of view, the best protected class. Unfortunately, humor aside, we are not a protected class under the law. It is not the constitution that makes the protected classes, and there is no penalty provided for violating the constitution. It is the laws passed to implement the protections of the constitution that both define the protected classes and provide for punishment. So far, none of the civil rights laws, beginning with the Civil Rights Act of 1866 (yes, 18), mention being armed. I believe we are slowly working on that and making progress towards it, but we are not there yet.

It will be a long, tough fight to get to the point where being armed is not only considered a right, but also a duty. The good news is that I see us making steady progress towards it. Not fast, but steady progress. At least in Texas, it seems to be getting easier to fight off the attacks on gun rights, even if we do not make any gains in the field. This is the type of steady progress that will win in the long run. Courts are also beginning to rule our way more, though there are still a lot of courts where this isn't true yet (9th Circuit).

More progress to go, but we are getting there slowly.
Excellent post.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”