Now this is the reason why I carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Now this is the reason why I carry

Post by Tex1961 »

lildave40 wrote:
Tex1961 wrote:I have to say.. I admire your restraint... Guy pulls out a pipe and starts to threaten me, I'mm pretty sure I'm going to put one hand out to say stop and the other is going to go back to my gun. I may not pull it yet, but I guarantee he'll know I'm armed...

EDIT: If he was within striking distance with that pipe, say 3 - 5 feet then I'd most likely pull out my firearm and at least go low ready on him... To me that is a direct lethal threat...
This happened on the east side of town. As for my restraint I notice by there body movements they were just posturing. " was not taking a chance though" my hand was close to my gun but not on it. I felt if there were not posturing and I put my hand on it as to pull it out I would have escalated the situation. As for my distance 3 to 5 feet yeah no. I had my exit and as they started to approach me I met them step to step backing up.
As many here will agree.. Hat's off to you Sir for stepping in and protecting that lady and her child. Good Job

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

Good job for choosing to get involved and help rather than deciding to just be a good witness. Thank you for taking the risk to be s good Samaritan. The world needs more people like you. :tiphat:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MechAg94 »

If someone pulls out a weapon within a reasonable distance, do any of you think it would be good to go ahead and draw your own? Even if you just hold it at your side, having it out and ready would seem prudent and shorten reaction time if something more happens.

Topic author
lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

MechAg94 wrote:If someone pulls out a weapon within a reasonable distance, do any of you think it would be good to go ahead and draw your own? Even if you just hold it at your side, having it out and ready would seem prudent and shorten reaction time if something more happens.

This is my not professional but personal opinion and I can be wrong. If I am drawing my weapon it is only to use it not to intimidate.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

lildave40 wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:What did law enforcement say when they arrived?
When the attendant came back she said she called. Waiting 20 minutes and no show so I left. Yes I left my information with the clerk.
When you need help, police are minutes away. Perhaps 30 minutes or more.

I commend you for risking your life and well being for another person, especially a young mother. Well done, sir!

I hope the thugs meet an untimely end to their criminal careers soon.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

lildave40 wrote:
MechAg94 wrote:...
This is my not professional but personal opinion and I can be wrong. If I am drawing my weapon it is only to use it not to intimidate.
:iagree:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

lildave40 wrote:
MechAg94 wrote:If someone pulls out a weapon within a reasonable distance, do any of you think it would be good to go ahead and draw your own? Even if you just hold it at your side, having it out and ready would seem prudent and shorten reaction time if something more happens.

The second a deadly weapon was displayed, you have the right to display your own to protect your life. Many, many more times a year guns are displayed to discourage a criminal than the number of times used to shoot them.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

dlh
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dlh »

Too bad about the police response time.

Had you drawn your weapon and the clerk inside the store calling the police told dispatch, "There is a man in the parking lot with a GUN!"--well, you can bet the cops woulda gotten there ricky-ticky.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

buzzkill

Post by buzzkill »

What more has to happen? They threatened you with a deadly weapon and it was three on one. It's already aggravated assault, or aggravated robbery because they demanded money. Deadly force is presumed justified in response to aggravated assault in Texas. It's not required if you prefer they go find an unarmed victim, but it is justified legally and morally.

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

lildave40 wrote:I wanted to share with you what happened to me today during lunch. I had a quick honey do that I was going to do during lunch. Well I stopped at a kroger gas station to fuel up. I park and get out of my truck and start fueling up. well there was a lady on the other side of the pump fueling as well. Just then a truck pulls up behind her and 3 men in there early 20s jump out and approach her and tell her that they are going to clean her head light for 30 bucks. In her her broken English she tells them no thank you. They kept insisting and started to put toothpaste on her headlights and said dont worry this wont take long and you can pay us. She starts to get scared and puts the pump up and starts to try to get in her car when one of the men blocks her from getting in her car and tells her she is going to pay one way or the other. I could here the baby starting to cry in the car as she starts backing away begging for them to leave. I already knew the route this was going so did a quick check. who is around who is doing what where is my exit and of course weapon check. The lady was now on my side of the pump. The men kept insisting on payment and were acting like if I was not even there. That is when I shouted at them to leave her alone. Well that changed everything there focus was on me now. They had some choice words about me and started to approach me. Just then the lady runs to her car and takes off. In the corner of my eye I can see the attendant standing up on the phone. I start backing away as the men separated while walking to me. Just then one of the men said that I am going to pay for them missing there money and pulls out a pipe from his bag. That is when I said look I dont want any beef with you but if you continue I will have no choice but to defend myself. One of the men says what your gonna shoot us all. My response was well yeah if I have no choice I will. Well I was called more choice words as they went to there truck and sped off. I look around and everyone was gone even the attendant.

I agree with everyone else, BRAVO! I am curious though. I was not sure by your description of the events if you actually drew your weapon or if you merely had your hand on your gun. Clearly they knew you were armed. The reason I'm curious is that I saw several self-defense videos last year that talked about that if a person had a knife and is closer than 21 feet form you, they can cross the 21 feet faster than most people can draw their gun and shoot. I don't profess to be an expert at drawing and shooting, but I keep thinking from your description that if I was in your situation I would draw and hold at low ready, not pointing the gun at anyone till I'm really going to shoot.

One of the videos I saw was this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xpcrDzy344
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

GreenMan0352

Post by GreenMan0352 »

Abraham wrote:"One of the men says what your gonna shoot us all."

This is the perfect time to say a Clint Eastwood line like: You'll be first!

Or if he drew he could have yelled, "merry Christmas Charlie Brown!"

They probably would have thought he was crazy and ran :lol::

buzzkill

Post by buzzkill »

GreenMan0352 wrote:

That reminds me of a Jim Cirillo story except he didn't say Charlie Brown.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

GreenMan0352 wrote:

I don’t why, but this made me think of that “Sweet dreams, lilac!” line from the movie “Mystery Men” :lol: ......

https://youtu.be/nZHe6OXaT8c

To the OP.... well done. I can’t think of anything I’d have done different, except (because I’m old and slow), when the pipe came out, so would my gun. I’m not going to wait for a rush forward to begin. As far as I am concerned....and I believe as far as the law is concerned, the assault began when the pipe came out. I think you showed greater restraint than I would have in terms of language, because once he said “you’re going to have to shoot all of us”, the temptation to say something in reply like “fine with me, you’ll be first......who wants to be 2nd?” would have been almost overpowering. All of that would have been intended to distract attention from the slowly spreading pee stain in my pants. So well done, sir.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

buzzkill wrote:
GreenMan0352 wrote:

That reminds me of a Jim Cirillo story except he didn't say Charlie Brown.
I would probably gone with Wyatt Earp " your friends might get me in a rush but not before I turn your head into a canoe"

My hand would have definitely been on my gun, depending on distance and presentation, I might have had it at low ready.
I see in this disparity of force (3 to 1) they are armed with a deadly weapon, threatening violence, armed robbery, attempted assault with a deadly weapon, what else do you need?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

dawgfishboy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dawgfishboy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:All of that would have been intended to distract attention from the slowly spreading pee stain in my pants.
"rlol"
I don't lol much, but that one got me good.

OP,
Like the others mentioned, thank you for stepping in and sharing your experience.
:txflag: :cheers2:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”