CC on Private University Campus

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bigity
Posts in topic: 2

CC on Private University Campus

Post by bigity »

I went to an event open to the public at a local private Christian school recently.

I CCd as there were no signs on any buildings or doors or at all that I could see.

However, the next day I notice this school has 4-5 signs posted outside, alongside some (not all, as I didn't pass any the night before) roads that lead onto the campus. You can't really read these signs at normal traffic speeds, and they are so remotely located they don't easily indicate a specific building.

Do we have any case law or incidents regarding signs like this? I know now the school has opted-out, but they are still required to follow the statutes regarding sign placement, wording, and size don't they?
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Re: CC on Private University Campus

Post by oohrah »

By local private Christian school, I presume you mean higher education college or university.

You are correct that these institutions must post 30.06 just like any other private entity, and they must post everywhere they do not want CC. For example, at my private opted-out university, my building is not posted, but the library, the science building and the admin building are posted. The grounds and parking garages are not posted.

So, a parent or other visitor coming to my building could CC legally because they had not been given effective notice. Besides how would they know? Faculy and Staff have been notified by policy letters, so they cannot carry anywhere because that is notice of policy. But wrinkle here, faculty and staff can CC in non-posted areas and not be in violation of the law, and so cannot be prosecuted, but can be fired for violation of policy.

And of course, 30.07 is not applicable here at all because OC on any school campus is statutorily prohibited.

And I'm not aware of any prosecutions or case law yet. In fact, the CC on campuses has turned out to be a non-event.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

bigity wrote:I went to an event open to the public at a local private Christian school recently.

I CCd as there were no signs on any buildings or doors or at all that I could see.

However, the next day I notice this school has 4-5 signs posted outside, alongside some (not all, as I didn't pass any the night before) roads that lead onto the campus. You can't really read these signs at normal traffic speeds, and they are so remotely located they don't easily indicate a specific building.

Do we have any case law or incidents regarding signs like this? I know now the school has opted-out, but they are still required to follow the statutes regarding sign placement, wording, and size don't they?
I am quite sure I know the University and the event. The signs by the entrances (but not all the entrances) effectively make the whole campus off limits. The signs are of legal dimensions but you are correct, they would be hard to spot or read while driving. You can still keep your gun in your vehicle as that falls under the MPA. Now if you walked onto campus or entered where there was no sign then you could argue that effective notice was not given.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

rotor

Post by rotor »

(iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

I guess this is where the argument is.

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

I was at SMU Thursday on a field trip.

There were signs inside Mcfarlin Auditorium but I did not see signs in Dallas Hall. Only 2 parts of campus we were using.

I was unarmed anyways.

Topic author
bigity
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bigity »

troglodyte wrote:
bigity wrote:I went to an event open to the public at a local private Christian school recently.

I am quite sure I know the University and the event. The signs by the entrances (but not all the entrances) effectively make the whole campus off limits. The signs are of legal dimensions but you are correct, they would be hard to spot or read while driving. You can still keep your gun in your vehicle as that falls under the MPA. Now if you walked onto campus or entered where there was no sign then you could argue that effective notice was not given.
Yea I won't in the future I guess but I didn't even pass a sign that night, because I parked at a church across the street through their parking lot entrance, and didn't even pass one of the signs.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

bigity wrote:
troglodyte wrote:

Yea I won't in the future I guess but I didn't even pass a sign that night, because I parked at a church across the street through their parking lot entrance, and didn't even pass one of the signs.
I know where you are talking about because I've used that church parking lot, too. I've played Tuba Christmas there in the past but have decided to skip it this year because the signs exist. I was unarmed the last time because it was before Campus Carry. They've told me I'm not welcome on their campus and I'll honor that.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”